Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
geebobaz
AF Newbie

Hauling extra fuel and tires for long trip

Hi again.

I'm planning to drive my X to Baja in late January and think it might be a good idea to take a couple 5 gallon fuel tanks, propane for cooking, and an extra spare tire on the trip. I'm concerned about taking gasoline inside the cabin and would like ideas on storage racks.

I saw an X yesterday with a storage frame that fit into the tow hitch, and I've seen pics of heavy duty roof racks.

Any ideas on carrying these extra, bulky items?

Thanks.

Greg
geebobaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
kris
Off playing with fire.

Re: Hauling extra fuel and tires for long trip

I would NOT carry any fuel inside the cab. That is a very bad idea. I have a Yakima Load Warrior basket, that I put spare gear, tire, etc. in.

I put my gear in the basket, then my 15 gallons extra fuel in the factory basket. I would prefer a roof mount basket myself, over one attached to my hitch. I found this one off craigslist for $100. Retail they are about $250.

Here it is with the spare only, when I went to Moab.

The only reason I mounted the spare, was for the extra clearance. After it was all said and done, I figured it was a waste of time. My dad left his in the stock location, and never had an issue with it.

I envy your trip. I have a few friends down there right now. They have been there since after Thanksgiving.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

Do yourself a favor and get your spare tire out from under the chassis with one of these:

http://www.shrockworks.com/Nissan-Re...ack-c-259.html

Then, get the two items below to mount your Jerry can on the spare.

http://offroadrecovery.zoovy.com/pro...N_CARRIER.html

then a.....

http://offroadrecovery.zoovy.com/pro...R_ADAPTOR.html
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I have a KargoMaster rack on my truck that works pretty well. It uses the Yakima Xterra rack mounts to attach the rack on top. Only downside is I had to put some friction tape around the Xterra cross-bars to keep it from moving with a load on top. After that it's solid as a rock. Used Yakima spotlight mounts to put my IPF lights on front, and drilled into the vertical tabs on the rear for IPF backup lights. Kargomaster has lots of bolt on accessories for things like spare tires, hi-lift, shovel, etc. etc.

Those hitch mounted racks are nice if you're on the highway as they're easy to get to (ever try and throw a 32" spare or fully loaded cargo box on top of your truck?), but you'll have absolutely no departure angle once you step offroad.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
geebobaz
AF Newbie

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies and pictures.

I found a Yakima Mega Warrior basket on Craigslist and will bolt that to the top. I'll put my fuel up there with light stuff like tents, but I'll have to keep the extra spare in the back for now with my other gear.

Thanks again and happy new year!

Greg
geebobaz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail