Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
jsnowbordr47
AF Newbie

Transmission slips/jerks only when cold

I'm running a 95 Suburban LT with a 4L60e with transmission coller (stock I believe). The truck has 270,000 miles on it and the engine has done well in compression tests and the transmission has been serviced several times, we actually changed the fluid and filter about 5 months ago.

This weekend I started it up and began to drive and it started to jerk and wasn't shifting right, after driving it for a bit it began to shift normally and very smoothly actually. This now happens almost every time I drive the truck after it's been sitting for a while, and it only started doing this when the weather turned cold 40 degrees.

I've noticed that it's sticking from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd, I usually can't get fast enough to get up to 4th gear when it's cold, so I can't tell if it sticks there as well.

I've noticed before that going downhill when I downshift, I hear a high-pitched white that sounds like brakes.

So my question is, since the fluid was changed recently does it sound like I need a rebuild or is it possible that my fluid is somehow bad or contaminated since it shifts fine once the transmission warms up?

The fluid looks good and the fluid level is right where it should be so I'm pretty sure it's not from a lack of fluid.

Also, can anyone tell me what the average price is for a rebuild of this transmission?

any help would be great
jsnowbordr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Re: Transmission slips/jerks only when cold

Sounds like the pump may be going out. If it's not building enough pressure when the fluid is cold/thick, the transmission will slip. As it heats up and thins out, pressure can build and the sliping goes away. Was the correct fluid used with the last service?

I would avoid driving it while it's cold. The sliping is in the clutches and/or bands, which are not meant to slip more than a VERY small amount. If the transmission is otherwise fine, driving it while slipping will ruin it. Sitting idling it will warm up because the stock cooler is in the radiator.

I'd call around for the price on rebuilding the transmission. Price will vary greatly depending on where you live, and the shop you take it to.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban