Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
ylikebeef
AF Newbie

02 Silverado, Wierd Knocking Sound

2002 Silverado, 4.3L V6

Lately, ever since the cold weather started here in Dallas, my truck has been making this weird knocking sound when i start it. Honestly, it sounds like a pushrod went (happened to me before with my Camaro). But here is the weirdest thing, the noise goes away after a little while.

Sometimes it won't make the sound at all, then sometimes it makes the sound for a few seconds, then sometimes it wont go away for minutes. Another weird thing is, not only does it make a knocking noise, but I can hear in my exhaust, it sounds like a piston is misfiring or something because you can hear what sounds like a backfire from the exhaust at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
ylikebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Re: 02 Silverado, Wierd Knocking Sound

Sounds like a lifter for an exhaust valve is bleeding down. These engines use hydraulic lifters that use oil pressure. After sitting for a while, the pressure can bleed out, causing clicking in the valvetrain. After the engine has been running, it fills back up and the noise is gone until it sits again. If you're using a heavier oil, it can make it worse. I would use the thinnest oil your owners manual says you can use (probably 5w30). You may also want to try a crankcase cleaner and/or some Lucas oil stabilizer.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
ylikebeef
AF Newbie

Two questions:

What would I be looking at cost to repair this?

and

What is the possible damage that could be sustained if I do not get this repaired ASAP?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Call local shops for an estimate. Price will vary greatly in different areas.

There is little risk of damage if you don't fix it. You will have slightly elevated valvetrain wear, but the fix for that is the same fix you are looking at now. If I were being charged for the work, I would let it go until the pushrod and rocker arm need to be replaced as well. If you decide to wait on the repair, just let it idle until the clicking goes away.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
Tdragone
AF Regular

This is a known issue of the larger engines.. I know my 02 4.8L v8 is part of the "Noise Abatement" Class action lawsuit. Lots of people have this issue; few actually got GM to resolve it free. The lawsuit is for those who it wasn't fixed free for. I've had it since my truck was 3 weeks old...

It doesn't hurt anything; but is kinda annoying. It was reduced slightly when I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic.
Tdragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 AM   #6
01silverado03z400
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to 01silverado03z400

Its sounds like piston slap. All of the big 3 have the same problem. Not causing any damage just annoying.

NEW - 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L RCSB Z71 Hooker AeroChamber - Black Bear Tune - Welds - 33" Mickey Thompsons
01 Silverado 4.8L ECSB 4x4 True Flow - Magnaflow - Black Bear Tune - 35" BFG A/T - 4.56 Auburn SOLD
83 Sierra RCSB 2wd 350 Under construction
01silverado03z400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
usmcnova22
AF Newbie

GM has done away with piston skirts in cost saving effort, therefore, if piston-to-bore specifications are even a little out, piston will wobble in bore causing even more excessive wear and eventual engine failure. Piston slap is a known problem by GM however, what the fix is you have to deal with GM.

On a side note....I did go to my local GM dealer and they told me all about the problem and that they know about it. When I asked what they could do about they told me to call GM directly. I can see where this is going......
usmcnova22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
ylikebeef
AF Newbie

I've come to a simple conclusion. If I have to yank the engine out to do any repairs, might as well convert it to a V8. I've already found quite a few tutorials online, and it seems like it's a possibility. Looks like this is what I will be doing.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
AaronIROCZ
AF Newbie

Have somebody else start your truck when it does this the most, you lay under the truck and listen to your cat. converter. My truck 5.3l did the same thing sounded like i spun a rod bearing, I was about to start yanking the engine when I crawled under it and listened to the knocking and it was coming from my passenger side catalytic converter. Then the next day the knocking turned into a rattle at any temp, rpms ect. Then the cat became plugged and needed replacement. Now needless to say I replaced the cats and now all is quite.
AaronIROCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silverado03z400
Its sounds like piston slap. All of the big 3 have the same problem. Not causing any damage just annoying.
i believe the piston slap/knock when engine is cold under load is only v8engines. as mentioned synthetic 5-30w usually reduces this noise. i have 2000 5.3l. also if carbon is excessive in combustion chamber this noise will be much louder and last longer. i can understand that, if cat's are carboned up and plugged the noise would be loud.............
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #11
mbumgua
AF Regular

Actually the knock is in the 4.3's as well as v8's. I changed out my brother's 2002 4.3 for a 5.3 last July. His 4.3 with 75,000 miles had bad piston slap. Anybody want a 4.3 with 75,000 miles?
mbumgua is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado