Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
lilsweets3138
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to lilsweets3138
2001 Windstar Heater actuator

Hi everyone, Iv'e been having problems with my 2001 windstar and I can't figure out the problem. The Ac works fine, but there is a clicking/thumping sound when I want to use the heat. Someone had told me that it could be the "door heater actuator". Okay..can someone tell me where this is located?? And how will I know that it is damaged. Thanks for you help.

Joe

www.cardomain.com/ride/2821880
lilsweets3138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2001 Windstar Heater actuator

Its located behind the stereo.. You can push the 2 ends of the glove box together and drop down to access from the side and pull the stereo to get to the front part. I have some pics. I try to find my site.
http://community.webshots.com/album/556939487VdTPOV
Last 2 or 3 shots on first page and the first 3 on the second page is about the blend door.. Hope it helps. Also Advance auto sales the stereo removal tool for about 5 bucks and the dealer is the only place for the blend door actuator motor for about 56.00. I took mine in and was glad I did because its called a blend door motor..
garync1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
lilsweets3138
AF Regular

Hey man, thanks for the pictures! I was looking in the wrong spot all along,someone had told me it was under the passenger side dash so I took that all apart..then I did not see the actuator. I put it all back 2gether and came back to check on here and Voila! You had sent me these photos..I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
Ed_Strong
Son of a Mechanic

In case you might be interested!
Before you go to the dealer check Genuine Ford Parts.com, I got my actuator from them for $32 + shipping. If you have a need for any other parts combine the order thru them and save on shipping. thats what i did when I needed a wheel hub and other things and saved a whole bunch compared to buying from the local dealer.
Even if you don't you'll still be saving over the dealer prices

Also I made my own radio removal tool by bending a heavy gauge wire clothes hanger. Real easy to do... I used a door knob to bend the wire into an "U" shape and then cut the lengths to the same size (bout 3-4"). You might want to give it a try!
Ed_Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
huskerdooo
AF Newbie

Just watch out.. The new actuators are more robust. They won't break. The next thing to break is the hinge where the actuator goes in. I do not know how to avoid this. My guess is that the door freezes some how and then the actuator rotates the door and the hinge on the door cracks apart. Some people on another thread thought that the temp selector should never be left hard over on heat. Easier said than done though.
huskerdooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
handyce
AF Newbie

i just replaced the acutuator in my 02 and only had to remove the storage unit under the cup holder,, only took about 1/2 hour and i bought the actuator at NAPA for $38.00
handyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 AM   #7
lilsweets3138
AF Regular

Hey guys, well I got the actuator out..it was fairly simple to do. I did what handyce did and also used the pictures from garync1 as a guide. I got my actuator from Pepboys and it was $36.00 which it not bad since I read alot of people paid over $50 for it.Everything is working great. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
Reckers
AF Newbie

Hey, just a word of thanks to all who supplied help on the actuator prob. My gf lost all front heat and it's winter! With your guidance, I was able to dig out the blend door actuator and replace it. $56 for part at Autozone (48 hours to get it in), $6.50 for the radio removal tool (YOU NEED THIS!!!!) and about 45 minutes each to dig it out and replace it. Thanks so much for all your help!
Reckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
mundy5
AF Regular

this thread is a perfect example of why we are all here. to help each other out so that we are able to make simple fixes at reasonable costs and return the vehicle to a normally functioning level with heat in the winter!

i made this repair about 1 year ago as it was clicking and when i did a search, a similar thread pulled up and i was able to make the repair with minimal effort.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
jsgraham1010
AF Newbie

Thx everyone for the detailed posts on how to change out this heat accuator on my 01 windstar...i bought the din tool from walmart for five bucks and had a hard time taking out my radio even with the tool ....i was putting it in too far....it should only go in 1-1/4'' b4 u gently push em away from each other and pull out ..it takes some finess and time ...i took many breaks on this and came back to it later till i got it..that was the hardest part of the job.... then i took out the radio and disconnected it and set it aside...dropped down the glovebox..took off the molding along with the climate control panel ,two bolts at the top used 7mm socket....the accuator is held with three 1'' inch screws that are 8mm ...i also disconnected some of the plugs on the climate control panel for easier access....i used two exentions in conjuction with each other to make the job easy...the accuator was 35.99 at autozone..and they loaned me all the tools to do the job....the job took me two and a half hours..i also used a small flashlight for this job...and i couldnt have done it wthout the info on this site thx again everyone....:je rking:
jsgraham1010 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar