Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > F-Body Problem Diagnosis
F-Body Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
ur dream car
AF Newbie

Another 1990 camaro not starting

i just spent a hour reading all the threads about camaros not starting (damn dial up) but the problem is as stated not starting bought new cap and roder got a nice blue spark still no start . ill will take you back to the day she went bad this is a 1990 camaro RS 3.1 v6 (soon to change when income tax gets here in april) i went to start it and it would not start and stay going with out stay on the gas at all times when i was trying to get her home she overheated and let her cool and continued on got a block away and was flat on the floor pushing 500 and i mean 500 rpms barly moving parted her check spark the next day yellow spark so changed coil cap roder (new plugs and wires 2 weeks before along with oil) (car was sitting) now when i go to start it it turns over and spits exhaust out the tail pipes but no start thank you for reading this now if you have any ideas please help me. or call 620-605-0035 my cell CASEY
ur dream car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
sdsniper
AF Regular

Re: Another 1990 camaro not starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur dream car
i just spent a hour reading all the threads about camaros not starting (damn dial up) but the problem is as stated not starting bought new cap and roder got a nice blue spark still no start . ill will take you back to the day she went bad this is a 1990 camaro RS 3.1 v6 (soon to change when income tax gets here in april) i went to start it and it would not start and stay going with out stay on the gas at all times when i was trying to get her home she overheated and let her cool and continued on got a block away and was flat on the floor pushing 500 and i mean 500 rpms barly moving parted her check spark the next day yellow spark so changed coil cap roder (new plugs and wires 2 weeks before along with oil) (car was sitting) now when i go to start it it turns over and spits exhaust out the tail pipes but no start thank you for reading this now if you have any ideas please help me. or call 620-605-0035 my cell CASEY

maybe the heads in the engine went bad. this happen to a friend of mine and the heads in his honda were cracked or something.
sdsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
ur dream car
AF Newbie

it started up and run fine and then progressed downward after that all the way down to the 500 rpms today after i get out of school i am going to get on tdc and make sure it is sitting on the first cylinder thank you for reply i appreciate it i will get back to this when i get done - casey
Old 10-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
ur dream car
AF Newbie

i am still working on it but it has been raining so its been post poned 4 a few days im having battery issues and will not crank dead batt.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
ur dream car
AF Newbie

know what problem is the motor is 4 cylinders off time so timing chain is streched and or timing gear is worn out
Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
jwineb
AF Newbie

my son is having the same problem 1990 camaro and wont start turns over spits but wont start....did you find out your problem yet?? when your 3.1 it at tdc #1 piston is up so is #4 piston ...number 4 pistion is in firing ..so dont think you #1 piston should fire...i changed timing chain, cap, roder ,coil ,plugs and wires..if you have any help let me know
jwineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
93gmcjimmy
AF Newbie

Mine is doing the same exact thing and happened almost exactly like your problem started. I have a '92 3.1. I have found that if I take the the coil wire off the cap and watch it spark it sparks. Then while starting it I keep the wire pulled away just enough to see the spark it starts and runs smooth as butter. The closer I get the wire to the dist. cap the worse it runs. I think the vacuum advance is staying advanced fully. Try that out on your car and see if it does the same thing. Anyone know what hose controls the vacuum advance???
93gmcjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
93gmcjimmy
AF Newbie

Ok I've been tinkering. The only thing that I can think of is maybe the O2 is out or bad. Gonna go pick one up and let you know.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
93gmcjimmy
AF Newbie

Not the O2.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
Genopsyde
The President

Send a message via AIM to Genopsyde Send a message via Yahoo to Genopsyde

strange string of problems here, need more info tho. what's the fuel pressure reading?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
93gmcjimmy
AF Newbie

Ok when I hooked the fuel pressure guage up it shows 45psi when the pump turns on and runs for a few seconds and when the pump stops running it dropps sharply to 40psi. What are the specs as I can not find them in the haynes manuel or online anywhere?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Genopsyde
The President

those are correct fuel pressure readings. ok, first off, you don't have vacuum advance, it's computer controlled. what ignition components have you replaced so far? have you checked your spark color? You should also check each injector with a volt meter according to the instructions in a manual.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
jwineb
AF Newbie

i am getting a vat code 46 i think it is how do i bypass it

Last edited by jwineb; 03-31-2008 at 07:01 PM.
jwineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
Genopsyde
The President

if you had a vats malfunction the car would not even crank. are you positive it was vats?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
89IROC&RS
AF Fanatic

full throttle 500rpm????

with good spark...

id look at the TPS (throttle position sensor).

93gmcjimmy - test your coil. a spark is formed by voltage building up on two poles. and then after reaching a peak, jumps across them. the smaller the gap, the smaller the voltage, the smaller the voltage, the smaller (and cooler) the spark. sounds like for whatever reason, when your coil is hooked up to the cap, youre just running current through, with no voltage spike.

From what youre describing, i would say its either your primary coil, pickup coil, or ECM.

The ECM is what sends the signal to the primary coil to build and discharge its voltage, and the pickup coil tells the ECM when to charge and discharge the primary coil.

Chevrolet Camaro - I enjoy beating the hell out of people

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68052
89IROC&RS is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > F-Body Problem Diagnosis