Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Ourgang07
AF Newbie

99 Chevy Astro distributor installation

Hi,
I have a 99 Astro with a 4.3. I changed the distributor a while back and have been setting a code 0420 ever since. Today I decided to remove the distributor and make sure the timing was right on before I go and change the cat & O2 sensors. I got # 1 on TDC and dropped the dist back in. I am not able to get the van to run again. My manual says to point the rotor between #1 and #6 plug terminals on the cap. I did it right by the book and no luck. I also have 2 marks on the harmonic balance. I am going by the second one. The timing cover has a notch and a slot, how should I line it up. Any info is much appreciated.
Thanks,
John
Ourgang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Ourgang07
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Chevy Astro distributor installation

I found the answer and the van is running. I'll paste the info below.
To get #1 compression remove plug and put your finger in the hole and have someone crank the engine until you feel your finger being pushed off by the air pressure. Now line up the timing mark.

Rotate the number 1 cylinder to Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke.

Align white paint mark on the bottom stem of the distributor, and the pre-drilled indent hole in the bottom of the gear (3).
Notice: The ignition system distributor driven gear and rotor may be installed in multiple positions. In order to avoid mistakes, mark the distributor on the following components in order to ensure the same mounting position upon reassembly:

• The distributor driven gear

• The distributor shaft

• The rotor holes

Installing the driven gear 180 degrees out of alignment, or locating the rotor in the wrong holes, will cause a no-start condition. Premature engine wear or damage may result.

Notice: Installing the driven gear 180 degrees out of alignment, or locating the distributor rotor in the wrong holes, may cause a no-start condition. Premature engine wear and damage may result.

With the gear in this position, the rotor segment should be positioned as shown for a V6 engine (1) or V8 engine (2).
- The alignment will not be exact.

- If the driven gear is installed incorrectly, the dimple will be approximately 180 degrees opposite of the rotor segment when it is installed in the distributor.

Using a long screw driver, align the oil pump drive shaft to the drive tab of the distributor.
Guide the distributor into the engine. Ensure that the spark plug towers are perpendicular to the centerline of the engine.

Once the distributor is fully seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with the pointer cast into the distributor base.
- This pointer may have a 6 cast into it, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 6 cylinder engine or a 8 cast into it, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 8 cylinder engine.

- If the rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and the camshaft may be off a tooth or more.

- If this is the case, repeat the procedure again in order to achieve proper alignment.
Ourgang07 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies