Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Avalon/Pronard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #1
johdans
AF Newbie

Schematics

Does anybody know where I can get the schematics or wiring diagrams for my 1995 Avalon ? every help will be greatly appreciated. I have an electrical short which has prevented me getting ignitionwhich is really really nagging me and needs to get solved. Please help. thanks. johndans@juno.com
johdans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
smuook
AF Newbie

Re: Schematics

One way to obtain it is go here:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/

You can pay $10 for a 1 day subscription and download owners manual, wiring diagrams, tsb's, etc.
smuook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
johdans
AF Newbie

electrical issues on 1995 Avalon

I just realised that my EFI relay located on the driver's side close to the fender in the engine compartment really gets hot after just 30 seconds when the battery is connected. As soon as the battery is disconnected this particular relay cools nice to normal.

My Avalon is not starting and I now believe the EFI system has a short which is making it draw far more DC power than it needs which also kills my battery as well after an hour. The power windows, radio, dashboard lights and ignition all does not work.
Please guys advise me where to look and how to isolate this short in order to get my car back running. Thanks. Johdans
Old 08-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: electrical issues on 1995 Avalon

The "EFI Main" relay powers the IAC valve, A/C Idle-Up solenoid, EGR solenoid, Intake Air Control solenoid, Fuel Pressure-Up valve, Oxygen Sensor Heater circuits, Data Link Connector power, MAF Sensor, and EVAP Vent Valve solenoid.

You can unload a good portion of that by disconnecting the "J3" junction connector. Everything underlined would be disconnected by removing that connection.

A relay can get warm without carrying excessive load. The relay operating coil itself can overheat, so it may be better to measure actual load current through the relay before assuming it is an overload.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

And check your PMs.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
johdans
AF Newbie

Thank you very much Blue Bowtie for your information. By the way where is J3 Junction Connector located at ? Also what is the PM that you talked about ? Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks. Johdans
Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

PM = Private Messaging. It's a part of the features of this site. If you check your Private Messages, you should find a helpful diagram for your EFI system.

The "J3" connector is a 2 x 5 connector (actually, it has only 8 circuits since two of them in the top row are blank). My diagrams are not perfectly clear on its location, but it appears it is in or just below the "Upper Relay Box" in the LF corner of the engine compartment (driver's side). Your diagram should indicate what wire colors are in that connector to aid in identification.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
johdans
AF Newbie

No Start

[b][b]Hey Guys please help me solve this problem. What at all will make a 1997 Avalon lose ignition totally ? When I key to start, no lights will show on the instrument panel. When I try to crank it, it's only the starter which turns but no crank.
I have done extensive checks on this car and still found nothing. I have replaced all fuses and relays on the fuse board located at the drivers side , kick panel inside car and still no luck.

All fuses and relays in the fuse box in the engine compartment bay on the drivers side too has been changed and still no luck.
Dome Light, headlights, tail light, door light and power door lock buttons all work. However power windows , radio, clock, sunroof and instrument panel lights such as battery lights, check engine lights, oil pressure light simply does not come on when ignition key is turned to on.
Ignition does not work as a result even though the starter turns.
I have also checked for spark and I am getting none even though spark plugs are new. I have checked almost every wire inside car, in the trunk and at the engine copartment bay and I do not see any fray wires.

Please help me for I suspect a short somewhere in the ignition system. How do I check for a short in the Ignition system ?
Secondly is there a single point where I can check ignition failure ? Finally where does the power windows, sunroof and ignition converge or meet ?
If I am able to locate one point where all the non functioning appliances that I have mentioned meet then I believe I will solve my problem. Any assitance will be highly welcomed. Thanks. You can also email me at johdans@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: No Start

If you don't have schematics you can try these at the Camry forum. They should be similar:1997-2001 Camry Repair Manual, Electical Wiring Diagram, and Collision Repair Manual (specifically for 1999)
http://www.camrymanuals.com/index.ph...id=5&topicid=0 (This link is dead. Go to Factory Service Manual thread at the top of the Camry forum) You could also try Alldata.com or Mitchells

I would suspect a blown fusable link.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #10
johdans
AF Newbie

Ect Light

Guys please help me. I changed computers on my 1997 xls Avalon and now the ECT Light stays on and does not go off even if the ignition key is turned off , unless the battery is disconnected. What is this ECT PWR light for ?

How do I turn it off without not disconnecting the battery. This new situation does not allow my car to Start. No lights such as brake lights, oil pressure light etc comes on the dashboard unless i push this ECT POWER BUTTON , then all lits up but still no start even though car Cranks well.

What do I do to get a normal ignition and turn off this ECT pwr light ? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Johdans@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
johdans
AF Newbie

Computer Problem

Gentlemen , please advise. How do I program a computer ECM or ECT or simply put engine computer which I just acquired so that it will work on my car ? I switched a '95 Avalon engine for a '97 engine because the '95 engine was bad.
I also installed the '97 engine Computer on the '95 car because of the engine switch. I also transfereed all the Engine wiring Harness, Instrument panel wiring Harness and headboard from the '97 to the '95 car to make the interrior look nice.
Unfortunately there was no ignition after all that work. Just today I decided to remove the '97 engine computer and installed the '95 ECM. After installing the '95 ECM back, now I got some activity but still no ignition even though the '95 ECM is performing far better than the '97 ECM. The '97 ECM seems to be totally dead even though it worked perfectly before I removed it from the Salvaged '97 car.
My question is how do I make this '97 ECM to come back alive in the '95 car since all XLS Avalons from 1995 to 1997 are almost the same ? Help me out guys. johdans
Old 08-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Computer Problem

Please open only one thread at a time for a specific problem, rather than creating multiple threads. It's just a lot easier to follow the progression that way.

As for the issue at hand, since your buddies from Honshu apparently aren't able to help, I'll give it a stab.

The '95 3L uses one coil per spark plug, with the ignition control module ("Ignitor", in Toyota-speak) appropriately designed to drive six separate coils. The feedback signals to the PCM are sent accordingly. The '97 3L uses only three coils in a wasted spark system, so the ignition control module ("ignitor") is wired to drive only three coils and deliver signals to the PCM accordingly. As part of the scheme, the injector firing is likely related, and may also not work with a mismatched PCM.

Unless the ignition system and ECM/PCM input sensors and wiring are designed for the specific control system, there is little chance of the wrong ECM or PCM being able to drive the ignition control module, thus, no ignition. Hopefully, no damage to components has been done if the component parts were mixed-and-mismatched.

I'd suggest using all the 1995 1MZ sensors and components along with the 1995 ECM in the 1995 chassis. There may be other incompatibilities, such as the EVAP, BCM, and who knows what else that cannot communicate with the 1997 PCM.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Computer Problem

Perhaps this will paint a clearer picture:

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Avalon/Pronard