Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Avalon/Pronard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
datsun280z76
AF Newbie

Avalon - New transmission?

My girlfriend has a '97 Avalon XL. It has about 100k miles on it and has had both of the CV axles replaced - one about a year ago and one maybe two and a half. Since we have been dating (after the first one was replaced) the car has always made some kind of a clicking noise when turning which is why we had the other CV axle replaced - however when it was replaced it didn't help anything, it still makes the clicking noise and it has gotten progressively worse now even when going straight. The dealer, which has done all the work on the car, said that it must be the transmission that is making the noise and she needed a new one. I guess I'm pretty skeptical about that because I've never heard of a transmission making a clicking noise - the noise sounds just like a CV axle is bad and I wonder if maybe they exceeded the misalignment angle or did something else to the CV axle before they replaced it. So my question is can an automatic tranmssion make a clicking noise that is only proportional to road speed and what would cause it - the car functions perfectly, it shifts fine etc.

thanks!

Matt
datsun280z76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Avalon - New transmission?

Welcome Aboard

The transmission (actually, the transaxle) could be the source of the noise if the differential gears are damaged. It would be silent while traveling straight, but make noise on turns. This could potentially be tested by raising and supporting the front end, running the engine in gear, and restraining one wheel. Of course, that would likely set an ABS error code, but the service center performing the test should be able to clear that easily.

It's possible the dealership has already performed such a check, thus arriving at that conclusion. Aisin/Warner transmissions don't last forever, after all (no transmission does). Remember that the differential for the A540/541 does have a separate reservoir, and requires GM Dexron II or equivalent lubricant. If the noise is more of a "buzzing" than a "clicking" it may be that the oil level is incorrect.

Unfortunately, as the dealer has evidently indicated, the transaxle must be removed to service the differential.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Avalon/Pronard