Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
freesiagirl
AF Newbie

Smile Roaring Noise When Driving - Can't figure it out???

Hi! I am new to this forum, and a new Metro owner. I purchased a 1994 4 Door Hatchback, 5 Speed with 92,000, just last week. It makes a roaring noise when driving, and sometimes a clicking noise when stopping, but not when turning the wheel. The previous owner had the right front bearing and left tie rod end changed. And replaced the transmission with a used one. He also put alloy wheels on it, tires are size P1965/50/R15. Would the bigger tires cause a problem? Also, would they lower my gas mileage?
The car also had a vibrating brake pedal. My hubby changed the front rotors and pedals, and the brake vibe is gone, but the noise is still there.
I took the car to an auto center, had them check it out. The tech said it needed a right front bearing, and possibly a rough spot on the axle. So they ordered the parts and I took it up there again this morning to be changed. But the tech that was there this morning, didn't change it. He said there was no play, so he didn't think it was the bearing. He put it up on the lift, and listened with a stethoscope and couldn't hear the noise from the bearing, but did hear noise from the transmission gear box. He said maybe the bearing in the trans were going bad, or low gear oil. The car shifts and drives fine, so is it possible that's it the trans? I am very frustrated, and just want to get this figured out, so that I can drive my cute little car. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions?!! Also, my gas mileage isn't too good. Around 30 mpg, whereas edmunds.com says that this car should get 46-49 mpg. A tuneup has already been done, so any suggestions there? THANKS!!! :-)
freesiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
sbiddle
AF Regular

Re: Roaring Noise When Driving - Can't figure it out???

Does the sound increase with speed? I have a Mazda 626 with a roaring problem. I'm 99% sure it's the tires. I have scalloping on the tires and this fall when I get snows put on I'll find out for sure. At low speed <40 mph, it isn't bad, but at about 60, it makes a lot of noise. I suggest you check the tires for flat spots.
sbiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesiagirl
...my gas mileage isn't too good. Around 30 mpg... The car shifts and drives fine, so is it possible that's it the trans?
Yes. I have had to swap at least two transaxles in my fleet because of a bearing going south somewhere in the tranny. It will make a very similar sound to a bad wheel bearing except it will get much louder. If neither front wheel bearing is making noise, or if the pitch of the grinding doesn't change when loading them up around left/right turns, it is almost definitely the transaxle.

-MechanicMatt

1993 Geo Metro - Accident

1991 Caprice 9c1 - Destroyed

91Caprice9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
freesiagirl
AF Newbie

Thanks for the replys, please keep them coming! The roaring noise does increase with speed, but I have not noticed any change in the sound when making turns. If it's a bearing in the trans, is it possible to just change the bearing? Guess what?! My neighbor is a trans guy, I'll have to ask him to look at it. Also, forget to mention previously that the car had set parked for about 6 months previously, so I guess the flat tire thing is a possibility. Will rotate tires. They are new tires though..... Is there any fix for flat spots? Or just replacing tires? Thanks everyone!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

No fix that I know of for flat spots. Have your neighbor look at if for you.. make him some cookies - I'd look at a transmission for some cookies for sure. Let us know what you figure out.

-MechanicMatt

Old 07-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
freesiagirl
AF Newbie

Well, didn't get to talk to neighbor today. Something I forget to mention. The 2nd tech from Sears said that the noise wasn't heard outside the car, only inside. Could it be something with the transmission, even if it shifts and drives perfectly? What else could it be in that general vicinity? It isn't a constant noise, more like it's something circular, that's going around, and is only bad on one spot. The noise gets faster and louder the faster I go. Also, there's that click, click, click noise when I am stopping. Is it possible it could just be low on gear oil? Or possibly have the wrong gear oil? What about a bearing in the transmission? And if it's a bearing in the transmission, how hard is that to fix??? THANKS SO MUCH!!! I just LOVE this car and am trying to learn as much as possible. I hope to drive it a good long time....
Old 07-29-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
BoostedMKIV
AF Newbie

This guy has a roaring in his car too:

BoostedMKIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Could it be something with the transmission, even if it shifts and drives perfectly?
Once again, yes.

Quote:
What else could it be in that general vicinity?
A bad wheel bearing. Mind you, simply grabbing the wheel (with the car off the ground) and checking for play is not the only thing to do when check for a bad wheel bearing - IE the axle nut may be on too tight, which will destroy a bearing, but it wont appear loose. It could also be bad/loose front brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeisagirl
It isn't a constant noise, more like it's something circular, that's going around, and is only bad on one spot. The noise gets faster and louder the faster I go. Also, there's that click, click, click noise when I am stopping.
Some axles for these cars (usually the passenger side because it is longer) will have a vibration dampener on them which is usually fitted in the middle of the axle shaft. I have seen these work loose from age and create strange noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeisagirl
Is it possible it could just be low on gear oil? Or possibly have the wrong gear oil? What about a bearing in the transmission? And if it's a bearing in the transmission, how hard is that to fix???
If it is low/wrong gear oil which has caused this problem, correcting the issue now will not fix the aftermath - IE bad bearing, binding gears. Not only that but low/incorrect gear oil, unlike a failed bearing, will cause excessive shift effort. A bad bearing in the transmission will most likely spell the end of that transmission, because it would be more cost effective to find a used one to replace it with, rather than tear into a transmission with a bad bearing to replace only the bearing, and whatever else has been worn-out by the resulting metal debris.

Get some more opinions. Find a mechanic you can talk to one-on-one, a small shop whose employees speak english fluently. If you aren't afraid to poke around yourself - put the front of the car on jack stands, and let the car idle in gear. Take a suitable length of wood and stop one tire with it so that it wont rotate. Go to the spinning wheel and listen for a sound which seems uncouth. Do the same for the opposing sides. This will isolate a failed wheel bearing hands down VS some half-wit Sears Tech trying to wobble the wheel around thinking that the only way a wheel bearing can fail is if it's too loose If a grinding type sound is heard regardless of which wheel is spinning I would be very inclined to say that your transmisison should be replaced. As for your clicking, that may or may not be a seperate issue.

-MechanicMatt

Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
freesiagirl
AF Newbie

Thanks! I will work on checking on those things suggested. Also, I forgot to mention previously, that part of the bushing on the front driver's side control arm is missing. I ordered a new control arm, which just came in today. Is it possible this has anything to do with my noise? :-)
Old 07-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

Yeah actually. That most likely explains that clicking while stopping.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #11
DELTAS69
AF Newbie

as for your bad gas milage..i'm surprised it will go very well with 15 inch tires on it..are you sure they are 15 inch? i can't see how they could fit under the car unless the suspension has been modified. a lot of us will swap to 13 inch wheels ..but IF it does indeed have 15" wheels..then the overall gearing is so high, it is eating up your milage. these came with 12 inch wheels on the car...at least my 92 2 door hatch has them...pretty sure the 94 four door did as well...i drive 300 miles per day and get mid 40's with the A/C ON AND RUNNING AT 60/65 MPH...get around 55 or so with out the A/C..ON THE STOCK 12 INCH WHEELS..i just had a drivers side wheel bearing replaced a few days ago..made the exact noise you have..turn right..no noise..turn left ..sounded like a cat in a blender..also have the same popping with a worn "A" frame bushing on the pass. side..
DELTAS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #12
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

How can you have 15" tires !?

Is a 15" wheel made that fits a '94 Metro...!!!???

Are your wheels rubbing on some portion of the front wheel wells or back wheel wells..?
That would probably be smoking...

Bearings can make such a noise. Mine did - totally stopped once I changed them!

Does the noise change tone on high speed right or left curves on the road?

Put your head or have a passenger put his/her head out the window and listen.

Is the noise from the front or the rear of the car?

I'd have a mechanic drive it and listen - a mechanic would know what is going on.

Once he tells you, then come back here and tell us what he said before having anything
done - some shops really bullshit women and con the Hell out of them....

Is there OIL IN THE TRANSMISSION !? Does the Transmission run hot?

Do any of the wheels nuts (center of wheel) get HOT after driving?

Immediately after stopping, Go out and touch all four wheels near the
center - if it is so loud, maybe one or two are HOT.

I'd get that attended to before something seizes or burns up while you are driving!

DoctorBill

PS - I hope I am not full of crap - am I right guys?

DOCTORBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #13
freesiagirl
AF Newbie

I appreciate everyone's suggestions!! I am still working on this problem. My uncle rode in the car and thinks it has something to do with the tires. Yes, they are 15 inch tires. The tires say P1965/50/R15. My husband said something about the springs having clamps or something on them?? So, you guys are saying that the car had to be modified to fit the 15 inch tires? I like the alloy wheels, but I bought the car for the gas mileage. So, if the tires are hurting my gas mileage, then I need to go back to the original size. One good thing, there is a junk yard nearby, with a 92 Metro, I can see about buying the 12 inch wheels off of that one. How hard is it to switch back to the 12 inch wheels? I don't know what was done to the car to accomodate the 15 inch tires, and I need to make sure the car is SAFE! My kids ride in it with me. I am also going to take the car to another mechanic tomorrow and see what he suggests. But, yes, I will post on here before I have any work done. THANKS so much everyone!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #14
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

I would look at the tires themselves!

Do they have worn lines that go around the tire - rubbing as they turn?
It would be very obvious!

Look on the inside of the tires facing toward the center of the car - you'll
have to bend down under the car and use a flashlight.

Front and back tires, both.

I understand that later year Metros switched to 13" tires....

Were I you, I'd switch to 13" tires - much much cheaper than 12" tires - I know,
I still buy those damned 12" tires and get "the business" about how rare they are!

13" tires are VERY CHEAP at Discount Tire.

The wheels should cost maybe $20 each used...no more!

Are the tires on there now winter snow tires with noisy tread..? Studded!?
Off road tires that would make hideous road noise?

Unless the rotors and studs have been changed by someone, you should be
able to find 13" wheels without too much difficulty.

I hope it all works out for you.

Just be careful of guys trying to con a woman - I hate that crap!
My wife and some of her women friends have gotten that rubbish from repair shops.....

Ask questions - be skeptical.

Ignorance is very expensive. I don't mean to insult, but when you don't know
is when you get conned by businesses.

DoctorBill

DOCTORBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
DELTAS69
AF Newbie

first thing i would do is get rid of those wheels and tires..sounds like some kid has monkeyed around with it at some time and somehow managed to put them on there..hopefully he didn't do anything permanant to the suspension that can't be rectified. second get a set of stock 12" wheels..and yes you may have problems finding 12" tires. wal mart used to carry them and some walmarts still have them in stock..but they are discontinuing them..when they are gone..no more. i bought a set of four from tirerack.com. about 130.00 including shipping to my door via ups. ojnce you have the correct wheels on there , then you can address the other noises. my guess is the large wheels have put undue stress on the bearings and that is the noise your hearing along with the tires rubbing the frame , fenders, and God knows what else under there..and it just dawned on me..where the hell did someone find four lug 15" wheels?? what kind of hubs may be lurking under there ? i'd sure like to see a pic of these wheels on your metro..
DELTAS69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro