Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
vando002
AF Regular

2002 Impala LS no start sometimes, passlock?

I have a 2002 LS 3.8L with 250k miles. I recently bought it from a dealership for cheap because of the miles. I went out to start it and when the key was in the 'on' position, all the lights and noises were fine then when I'd turn the key all the way to turn it on, absolutely nothing happens. All the lights go out except for the check engine light. I thought it was a dead battery at first so I jumped it and it was alright for a couple of weeks. Then it happened again. After about 10 minutes of waiting around, it started. And it has been fine ever since. I've read a lot of other threads about this. Is there any other way to ensure this doesn't happen again without having to insert a switch for the yellow wire from the ignition? Thanks for any help you can give.

Adam
Old 07-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Iflylow
AF Regular

Re: 2002 Impala LS no start sometimes, passlock?

This doesn't look like passlock to me. Usually when passlock prevents a start, the message center will show "Security" instead of check engine.
It may be an ignition switch beginning to go bad, however.
If your key is a little worn, you could try another key. Sometimes as the ignition cylinders wear, a worn key will no longer work, but a brand new one will.
The car may have sat at the dealer lot for a while, and the battery got low. Now that it's being driven, the battery is fully charged again, so it starts fine. Just a thought.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
vando002
AF Regular

The past few times i've driven the car the security light has come on and has stayed on until turned off again. I'm guessing it to be the passlock system. i've read in other threads that i might have to change the ignition switch. if i have to change the ignition switch, will i have to have a key just for the new switch, so instead of one key, i'll have two?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
ck_1500
AF Newbie

You can replace the tumbler passlock part of the ignition switch seperately. The dealer can re-key it to use your same key. I just fixed the problem in my 2001 Impala. Instead of installing a switch on the yellow wire, which leave the security light on all the time, I cut the yellow wire and installed a resistor of the correct value, between the black and the side of the yellow wire, going back to the computer. The car now starts and functions normal and no security light on. It would make it easier to hot wire and steal, but who would know you modified the security system. The good thing is I saved about $200.00 for the switch, re-keying and my time to install it and reprogram the switch. The resistor can be bought at a Radio Shack for a few dollars.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
vando002
AF Regular

what's the correct value for the resistor? is there any way to show a pic of the resistor installed?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
ck_1500
AF Newbie

You need to find the resistance using an ohm meter connected between the black wire and the ignition side of the yellow wire with the key in the on position. every car has a different resistance value. I knew mine ahead of time, because I installed a remote starter, and needed it to bypass the security system. You will need to cut the yellow wire before you can get the proper resistance reading. The black wire needs to stay uncut, so you just skin the insulation off to connect to it. These wires are behind the ignition switch, wrapped in electrical tape. They are small wires about 22 ga. I don't have a picture of the install. I did mine a few weeks ago and the car starts and runs great.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:43 AM   #7
vando002
AF Regular

Just to be sure, do I have to cut the yellow wire with the car running? I think I remember reading that somewhere else. Also, once the yellow wire is cut, i connect the resistor to the yellow wire going away from the ignition, right? And just leave the other part of the yellow wire hang there? Did you solder the connections or tape them up? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #8
ck_1500
AF Newbie

The car can be off when you cut the yellow wire. Once the resistor is installed the car will start normal. Cutting the wire with the engine running disables the security system, keeps the security light on and allows the car to start without the resistance. You need to cut the wire with the engine off to check for the resistance value. The resistor is connected from the black uncut wire to the side of the yellow wire going to the computer. The end attached to the ignition is just left cut and taped. soldering and taping is the best way to do it. I've used the moisture proof 3M scotchlock connectors for communication wires with good results also. They are available at Radio Shack. Using heat shrink tubing works better than electrical tape for covering the solder connections. The also make a heat shrink tape, that melts to itself when heated.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:22 AM   #9
vando002
AF Regular

Thank you so much for all the help. I'm going to try to do it this weekend because the damn car didn't start tonight after work and it pissed me off beyond belief. ----Just out of curiosity, how much was your resistance? Just as a reference to make sure I do the reading correctly. Thanks again.

Adam

Last edited by vando002; 08-12-2007 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

You are close. You do cut the yellow wire while the car is off and put a meter between the black or orange/black wire and the cut yellow wire coming from the ignition switch. When you do this your meter should show some sort of reading and most of the time will change a little as you keep the meter on there. Then, try to start it. The value will change and hold at a different value. THAT'S THE RESISTANCE VALUE YOU NEED. If you can not get exactly on that value, try to be just a hair above that value.

Case in point, I bypassed one on a '99 Silverado back in the winter. Then this summer it got up to 95 degrees and about 70% humity. Well, the guy started having issues again. I checked the value of the ignition and it was 1505 ohms. The resistance I used was 1549 ohms. I changed it to 1511 ohms. See, heat and humity can cause the resistance to change a little. Granted, it will change such a little bit but if you aren't close enough, it could cause the BCM to throw codes.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
vando002
AF Regular

Ok, so I tested the resistance on the black wire and the yellow wire going back behind the dash on 20k on the multimeter and came up with a resistance of 10.04. Does that sound correct? I've never worked with resistors or resistance readers before. On 200k I got a measurement of 93.1 and on 2000k I got a measurement of 924. Then I went to Radioshack last night to get a resistor. I got there and the guy started asking me about voltage and wattage and amperage and tolerance and I had no idea what he was talking about. So I bought some 10k ohm resistors and put one on the car and the security light stays on. I'm not sure if I used the tester correctly. I told the guy at Radioshack everything I did and I wasn't getting much response so I bought a few resistors just to make the trip worthwhile. Please let me know that wattage the resistors were that you used and how big they were if you remember or still have some leftover from the package. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by vando002; 08-14-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #12
gherikill
AF Newbie

I have the same problem with my car, though I did not due anything ie cut wires the security light is on solid everytime I drive the car. This started about 3 months ago and I have never had trouble starting the car.

My question is if there is an easy way to remove the bulb for the Security light so that I do not have to cut wires and such.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
ck_1500
AF Newbie

I found the instructions that came with my remote starter, for finding the proper resistance value in a passlock II system. With the key in and turned to the "on" or "run" position, put the car in reverse. Turn the key to the "start" position and the back to the "run" position. Now read the resistance between the black wire and the ignition side of the yellow wire. Putting the car in reverse, prevents the car from starting, while checking the resistance. Use a digital meter and take two readings, reversing the leads on the meter. If the readings are different, use the higher of the two. The resistance value of the resistor, you use, must be within 1% of the value. You may need to connect a series of resistors together to get the proper value. The wattage of the resistors isn't important the one's I used were 1/2 watt. I used the 20K setting on my meter to get the readings. An adjustable variable resister with a trimmer in the resistance range you need works well also, because you can dial it in to the exact resistance. Not sure if Radio Shack would have one though. That is how the remote start bypass modules set the resistance. The resitance for my Impala is 4.62K.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
ck_1500
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gherikill
I have the same problem with my car, though I did not due anything ie cut wires the security light is on solid everytime I drive the car. This started about 3 months ago and I have never had trouble starting the car.

My question is if there is an easy way to remove the bulb for the Security light so that I do not have to cut wires and such.
The only way to put out the light is to put in a resistor. Cutting the yellow wire with the engine running disables the security system and turns on the light. If you didn't install a switch to reconnect the yellow wire and your battery dies or you disconnect the battery teminals, the car won't start anymore, untill it sees the resistance coming from the ignition switch or you wait 10 minutes everytime you start it.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
vando002
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck_1500
I found the instructions that came with my remote starter, for finding the proper resistance value in a passlock II system. With the key in and turned to the "on" or "run" position, put the car in reverse. Turn the key to the "start" position and the back to the "run" position. Now read the resistance between the black wire and the ignition side of the yellow wire. Putting the car in reverse, prevents the car from starting, while checking the resistance. Use a digital meter and take two readings, reversing the leads on the meter. If the readings are different, use the higher of the two. The resistance value of the resistor, you use, must be within 1% of the value. You may need to connect a series of resistors together to get the proper value. The wattage of the resistors isn't important the one's I used were 1/2 watt. I used the 20K setting on my meter to get the readings. An adjustable variable resister with a trimmer in the resistance range you need works well also, because you can dial it in to the exact resistance. Not sure if Radio Shack would have one though. That is how the remote start bypass modules set the resistance. The resitance for my Impala is 4.62K.
So did you hook your resistor up to go from the black wire to the little ignition side of the yellow wire or the side that goes back behind the dash?

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD