Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Exterior | Wheels | Tires
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | Wheels | Tires This is the place for all exterior modifications including wheels and tires.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
DeusEx
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to DeusEx Send a message via AIM to DeusEx
I need help replaceing a window

Some punks around my neighborhood broke out my window in my 84 z28, its under a car cover so im not to worried about rain getting in, but i am worried about moisture and such. I have a 92 RS thats being parted out currently that im going to grab a window out of and put in the 84. Question is, how do i go about doing this? Could somebody give me an indeoth guide or explanation on how to replace a window, starting with removeing the door pannel and then going from there to finish. Also how dificult of a job will this turn out to be?
Thanks for the help guys, im trying to get this replaced asap, its been without a window now for about a week.
DeusEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Firebirdlad03
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Firebirdlad03
Re: I need help replaceing a window

The door panel is usually held in by a few screws...just look.. then it just snaps off...rip and tear..you wont break it..Then you just gotta figure it out urself.. I did it on my car..Its very self explanatory once you get in the door..dont worry... if you know what way loosens and tightens screws and bolts ull be fine...haha

92 Firebird formula...

Firebirdlad03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

from what i remember....

for starters, prepare for a suck job.

Remove the arm rest. remove the plastic that surrounds the door handle. Some screws are hidden and some are false. you have to use a screwdriver to unclip the mirror adjuster ect to find them, and then feed it into the door panel so it doesnt get hung up as you try and remove the panel.

The door panel has several plastic clips hidden all the way around the back side of the panel about every 6 inches. Use a pair of thin needle nosed pliars to carefully pry them from the holes. Try not to mess up the cardboard as its VERY easy to do, its better to break the clips than it is to pull them loose from the door panel. After the door panel is loose you have to pull the bottom outward away from the door about a foot and push upwards to get it unhung from the door. It clips on i think, you may have to help it come unhooked from the top.

Move the plastic liner out of the way.

take a white paint pen and mark the position of everything you unbolt so when it goes back together you dont have to adjust much. Along the top of the door there are some L shaped brackets with felt on the ends on them. Mark the position of them as well (3 i think).

Unbolt the two window tracks and move them.

You have to get the rest of the old glass out before putting in the new one. Make sure no glass remains hidden anywhere. Remove the bolts from the track that one of the regulator wheels goes into. With that loose you can get the next wheel loose pretty easy, it has a spot where it can be removed at the end of the track. Take out the metal that the old glass was hooked to.

Cram the new glass down into the hole at the top of the door, and once its in the right position get the regulator wheels back into the tracks they came out of and bolt everything back the way it was.

Edit: bad description of how to do it but once you get started it will make sense. If you get high centered on it post up where in the project you are and see if we can help. Good luck.

Extra tip, The black triangle piece at the front of the door and the brackets with the felt on them have to be completely out of the way or the glass will not have room to drop down in the hole.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
sdsniper
AF Regular

Check out this thread before you go all out on replacing your window motors.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=722628

and this too

http://www.autotrix.net/product_page...indow_fix.html
sdsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

He didnt say he cant get his window to roll up and down, hes replacing broken glass.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
DeusEx
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to DeusEx Send a message via AIM to DeusEx

hotrod, thanks a TON bro, i definatly copyed and pasted what you wrote into a word doccument and just printed it out, im going to attempt this tomorrow wile following your step by step guide, thanks again man!
Ill keep everyone updated on this tomorrow lol, it sounds like it should take a good chunk of my day...
DeusEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

No biggie and your welcome. If you run into any problems with it let me know on this thread and i will see what i can do. If i left anything out or didnt describe it right post the details here so future people may find this info and know what they are looking at. camaro window replacement

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Exterior | Wheels | Tires