Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
atherts01
AF Newbie

98 pontiac transport

I am thinking of buying a 98 transport that needs a head gasket. How hard is it to fix?
atherts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
iceman2
AF Regular

Re: 98 pontiac transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by atherts01
I am thinking of buying a 98 transport that needs a head gasket. How hard is it to fix?

I just did the same thing - it depends on your level of experience. If you've never done it, I'd call around and see what the best price you can get, if it's less than $1,000, I'd let someone else do it, but if not, and you have the time, go for it, you're looking at probably 2-3 hundred $ for all the parts. Take it from me: Label, tag, label, take lots of quality high resolution pictures!!! Go to http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=321467, and read the posts on how to remove/replace the intake manifold gaskets. The Haynes/Chilton manual can be viewed at autozone.com. The actual removal/replacement of the heads are fairly simple, it's all the other junk surrounding the heads that make the project difficult. Also, recommend you get the heads cleaned and pressure checked by a machine shop. Good luck!
iceman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
annbanana
AF Newbie

IF I WERE YOU I WOULD GO ONLINE AND SEARCH FOR CRASH TESTS FIRST, THEN DECIDE WHETHER YOU WANT TO BUY THE DEATH TRAP
annbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman2
Go to http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=321467, and read the posts on how to remove/replace the intake manifold gaskets. The Haynes/Chilton manual can be viewed at autozone.com. The actual removal/replacement of the heads are fairly simple, it's all the other junk surrounding the heads that make the project difficult. Also, recommend you get the heads cleaned and pressure checked by a machine shop. Good luck!
Good advice here. It's not particularly difficult and require a PhD in mechanical engineering, but it can be challenging. Having the right tools will definitely help. I would NOT recommend following the guide at Autozone.com solely. Go out and spend the $15 on a Haynes manual. The procedure there is more detailed and has better pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annbanana
IF I WERE YOU I WOULD GO ONLINE AND SEARCH FOR CRASH TESTS FIRST, THEN DECIDE WHETHER YOU WANT TO BUY THE DEATH TRAP
Please go away and thread crap somewhere else.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
iceman2
AF Regular

[quote=cdru] Go out and spend the $15 on a Haynes manual. The procedure there is more detailed and has better pictures.

Yes, the on-line manual from AZ is limited, it's strange why they show photos for the 3.8L, but only diagrams and drawings for the 3.1 and 3.4?
iceman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
fouchydog
AF Newbie

I have a 98 that blew a head gasket at 149K and I replaced it, including a reconditioned set of heads while I had them off. The job can be done without rotating the engine but it is hard to get to the back side. With time and patience, it can be done. I had the helm service manual, recommend you get a copy if you are going to embark on this. The sequence of removing and replacing items are critical and the manual was very helpful with this.
fouchydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
pmpilot
AF Newbie

I'm having a heck of a time getting the rear head off the engine. I take that back, I removed the head with the rear exhaust manifold still connected to get the head gasket out. I reattached it to try to pull the exhaust manifold free and I cannot, for the life of me, get the downpipe bolts to break loose. WD40 and swearing doesn't seem to help - so far. If I can get that exhaust pipe loose I should be home free.

I was wondering if it is possible to remove the rear exhaust manifold from the head with the exhaust pipe (downpipe) still attached. It doesn't look that way as far as I can tell. I've got the engine rotated as far forward as possible and it is still not enough to get a breaker bar back there. Arrggh.

Anyone with insight for me?
pmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport