Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
mikeperformance21
AF Newbie

350z, s2000, or evo ????

yea which one do you all prefer an why
mikeperformance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast

Re: 350z, s2000, or evo ????

the z, it has the best looks and overall performance of the 3.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Interesting comparison, three cars in a similar price range that use very different methods to make the most enjoyable car.

A sedan, a coupe, and a convertable
A high revving 4, a turbocharged 4, and a higher displacement 6.

General impressions of the 3 cars in no peticular order-
Evo- Import guys begged for this car for years. High potential engine, an advanced AWD system, and rally credentials make this car very attractive for the performance enthusiast. It is also the only car in the comparison with back seats, making it a bit more usable as a daily driver. The car does have a few problems however... it is easily the least reliable of the group and Mitsubishi is known for voiding the warranties of cars that have been raced. Turbo lag is also an issue for daily driving, something the other cars won't have to deal with.

350z- The VQ engine is a gem. 3.5l V6 with good power and torque. Interestingly, the Z outraced the Evo in a C&D time trial a little while ago, showing that it is indeed in the same league as the Evo and the STi. The car is a little more refined then the Evo as well. Interior quality is a grade or two better.

S2000- I really like this car. The high revving engine feels like a smaller version of my M3's I6. It might not be the fastest of the bunch, but it is loads of fun. I would take a S2000 autocrossing or road course racing over any of the other cars. It is also the most reliable and customer's seemed to be very pleased with them as we see in the Top Gear survey.

My rankings

Fun to drive-
S2000
Evo
350z

Reliability-
S2000
350z
Evo

Power (stock)-
350z
Evo
S2000

Power (potential)-
Evo
350z
S2000

Styling-
S2000
350z
Evo (I don't think I could be seen in one)

Conclusion- It all comes down to what you would use the car for, how often you would use it, where you live, and what other transportation you have. The Evo can easily see 500+ hp, but a 500+ hp turbo 4-banger won't be very good as a daily driver. The lag would drive me nuts. On the other hand the Evo has the space for other people, and the added security of AWD for rain and snow. Dragging it down as a daily driver is poor reliability and service. The S2000 is a blast, but it might not stand up to the other two in many races. Being a roadster makes it pretty unusable in the wetter parts of the year. On the other hand it has the reliability of an Accord. The 350z is a middle ground between the two.

If I had another car to daily drive and was just looking for a fun weekend car, I would get the Honda S2000. If I was looking for a daily driver I would get the 350z. If I was looking for a car to race, I would probably get the Evo. Overall, I'm most fond of the Honda.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
mikeperformance21
AF Newbie

thanks alot for the good advice and opinions dinam.. yea what i am looking for is not so much the evo anymore so take that out of the pivcture..as for the 350 and the s2k..i like the nimble aspect of the s2k better than the 350z but is is so hard to make fast since it is lighter than the 350?... and you mentioned it a little before but how are each in the rain and snow?
Old 04-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Gotian
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gotian

Ever think about an RX-8? Handles a little better than the 350 since its lighter than the 350. It's also the cheapest in base price when compared with the other three. It also has 4 seats and yes they are fully usable cause my friends have sat very comfortably in there and the insurance costs are the cheapest when compared with the other 3 (i sell insurance). The rx-8 is also the competitor for the 350 so I think you should at least test drive one with an open mind, cause even though the numbers arent the highest, it is a nice quick car that is on par with a 350 in a straight line and just slightly slower than the s200 around a road course and autocross, but for nearly 8k less than a base s2000 i would get the 8 (which I did, lol)
Gotian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
350z- The VQ engine is a gem. 3.5l V6 with good power and torque. Interestingly, the Z outraced the Evo in a C&D time trial a little while ago, showing that it is indeed in the same league as the Evo and the STi.
I recall the US spec evos aren't actually the same as in the rest of the world; has this changed at all since then?

Anyway.
Of the 3 you list, the only one that would get my money is the S2000.
I loved spending a weekend with one.
from the very first time I droped my arse into the seat of a 106 rallye, i've been in love with high revving engines and this one gave me more than enough to play with.

never driven the other so really I have no comparison.

I have test driven an RX-8 (only the 190bhp car though) and it was better than I thought, Interior was a bit gaudy (red trim....) but the engine took a bit of getting used to; it being a bit quiet. On the whole though, if it were between an RX-8 and the S2000, I'd go with the RX-8 just for that smidgen extra practicality (and because if i were to get a high revving honda, it'd be an Integra)

But being in the UK, I also have other tempting choices in the same price bracket.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
I recall the US spec evos aren't actually the same as in the rest of the world; has this changed at all since then?
I believe that ours are a bit different then everyone elses in some respects. Mostly engine tune I think.

"I collect walnuts"
Old 04-13-2007, 01:44 AM   #8
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

fq-450...
GForce957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #9
Gotian
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gotian

Quote:

Anyway.
Of the 3 you list, the only one that would get my money is the S2000.
I loved spending a weekend with one.
from the very first time I droped my arse into the seat of a 106 rallye, i've been in love with high revving engines and this one gave me more than enough to play with.

never driven the other so really I have no comparison.

I have test driven an RX-8 (only the 190bhp car though) and it was better than I thought, Interior was a bit gaudy (red trim....) but the engine took a bit of getting used to; it being a bit quiet. On the whole though, if it were between an RX-8 and the S2000, I'd go with the RX-8 just for that smidgen extra practicality (and because if i were to get a high revving honda, it'd be an Integra)

But being in the UK, I also have other tempting choices in the same price bracket.

You tested the 190bhp one? so i take it either the 5 speed or automatic, go test the 232bhp one now, It's night and day between them. and yeah the s2k is good and everything but saving that extra 8 grand i coould do so much more.
Gotian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
mikeperformance21
AF Newbie

thanks guys but i dont think the rx8 is for me.. im confused about which one is the better choice b/t the 350 and s2000 because i like the go cart feel of the s2000 but the power of the 350z is also appealing.. what would be the better choice.. go for the 350 and upgrade handling as well as power, or s2k and upgrade the power and some handling??
Old 04-13-2007, 07:30 PM   #11
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeperformance21
thanks guys but i dont think the rx8 is for me.. im confused about which one is the better choice b/t the 350 and s2000 because i like the go cart feel of the s2000 but the power of the 350z is also appealing.. what would be the better choice.. go for the 350 and upgrade handling as well as power, or s2k and upgrade the power and some handling??
It would probably be easier to upgrade the 350z. The S2000's engine runs at a pretty high compression in stock form. High compression engines and forced induction usually don't work together too well. You are asking to damage something.

I would just drive the two and figure out which one you like the most. Are you willing to live with a convertable?

"I collect walnuts"
Old 04-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #12
mikeperformance21
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
It would probably be easier to upgrade the 350z. The S2000's engine runs at a pretty high compression in stock form. High compression engines and forced induction usually don't work together too well. You are asking to damage something.

I would just drive the two and figure out which one you like the most. Are you willing to live with a convertable?
what about if i forged the internals (i know it would cost thousands).. and yes i love the convertible aspect of it but i would def get the hardtop attachment
Old 04-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #13
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast

this might be helpful, even though you can get a z for under 30 grand.

http://pacer.calpoly.edu/tri/pacer/rx-8comp.html
Old 04-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #14
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

wait-a-minute...
solution to your problem = 350Z convertible.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #15
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Quote:
wait-a-minute...
solution to your problem = 350Z convertible.
I've never liked how the 350z roadster looks. I usually don't like it when a company makes a coupe and then turns it into a roadster. A roadster should start its life as a roadster.

"I collect walnuts"

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons