Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

"W.I.P" Tamiya Benetton B192 1/20th

After following the excellent build recently by fellow forum member "Davesans" I decided my next project would be the Benetton B192.I've started work on the engine so far and thought I would share a few progress pictures with you all.
I'm undecided at the moment wheather I am going to do any detailing work, including wiring the engine etc.I really want to keep the build simple and make sure all the panels still fit at the end (unlike my recent McLaren build) I may just add a little wiring to keep it looking busy,though not too much.On the engine I've tried out some of the Alclad paints (aluminium) and also Tamiya enamels (gold,chrome,aluminium) the black areas are Vallejo Satin Air.The green on the side panels is Finishers Brilliant green which sprayed beautifully as always.

That's all for now.I'll post more as I progress further.Of note as well I should have filled the ejector pin marks on the side panels but missed it and it's too late to do them now.The red driveshaft slipped out of place during the photos fixed it now.

Best regards,
Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
davesans
AF Enthusiast

Re: "W.I.P" Tamiya Benetton B192 1/20th

Quote:
After following the excellent build recently by fellow forum member "Davesans"
Hi Steve thanks for the flattering words my friend I really appreciate it.
Nice start to the engine looks real clean your airbrush work once again is fantasist. Looking forward to really seeing what the Finisher’s Green paint looks like on the body are you going to use Tamiya Chrome Yellow? It also looks like you dried brush some silver on the oil cooler from what I can see in the picture. Looking forward to your progress what are you using for reference photo’s?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
CeeElle
AF Regular

i'll watch this build, and try to resist the urge to add a B192 to the pile... you're the reason i've got an MP4/5B on the pile.
CeeElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
OrangeR
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to OrangeR

Nice clean start!
I'll too will be following this one.

Hey!!! monkeys can't recreate things with such perfection.
Respect the evolution!!! (message to people making fun of our hobby)
OrangeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesans
Hi Steve thanks for the flattering words my friend I really appreciate it.
Nice start to the engine looks real clean your airbrush work once again is fantasist. Looking forward to really seeing what the Finisher’s Green paint looks like on the body are you going to use Tamiya Chrome Yellow? It also looks like you dried brush some silver on the oil cooler from what I can see in the picture. Looking forward to your progress what are you using for reference photo’s?

Hi Dave.

I've got two yellows from Finishers for the yellow.Deep yellow (Camel yellow) and Pure yellow (brighter yellow,like TS 16) I'm going to mix the two together (Probably 50:50 or 40:60) to make the yellow for the body.I'm hoping to end up somewhere near Tamiya Chrome yellow.The only reason I'm doing this is I really like the way those Finishers paints spray and they cover beautifully and leave very little to do in the way of polishing etc.I really wish there was a stockist in the UK to save me having to order them from Japan.
The oil cooler was painted in two types of satin black.Tamiya X18 on the outside and Vallejo Model Air black on the grill portion.I didn't do any dry brushing on it.I've got some reference pictures from the Gurney Flap website which I've been using so far and a few general shots from the internet.
When you built your's Dave did you fill the join line at the bottom of the cockpit? Did you have to mask out the cockpit area when you sprayed the yellow and green on the outside of the monocoque? Did you fit the seat before or after the main painting? These are a few of the areas that are puzzling me at the moment.

Best regards,
Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
davesans
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
When you built your's Dave did you fill the join line at the bottom of the cockpit?
No I did not Steve for the very reason that you would have to build the cockpit paint everything and keep out any over spray. I have seen one that was done that way looks very nice but seeing that this was my first model in a long time want to try to keep the difficulty level down

Quote:
Did you have to mask out the cockpit area when you sprayed the yellow and green on the outside of the monocoque?
No painted after used a wide brush and thinned X-18

Quote:
Did you fit the seat before or after the main painting?
Both had to do some touch up painting right where the seam was but it was know big deal.

The thing I did forget was the head rest that fits on the monocoque and is also part of the air box fill that joint I had to glue that in then do some more painting of the yellow to fill in the joint you can still see it a little this was after I had put the green on the side.
Hope this helps
Old 04-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Seve,

great start, looks very neat and tidy. Are the suspension struts OOB and just painted - they look extremely neat, couldnt work out if you had cut out the centre section and replaced it with coiled tubing or not.

good job

http://www.scalereproductions.co.uk

WIP: Ferrari F40
SeanyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
Sennake
AF Enthusiast

Great overall work and especially the paint finish!

May I make a suggestion though? I know you told us that it's to late to remove the ejector pin marks, but I still would ask you to reconsider; you will regret it later on if you leave them like this, so noticeable in a model that is so well built aside from them...

* WWW.SENNAKE.BE *
Sennake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanyG
Steve,

great start, looks very neat and tidy. Are the suspension struts OOB and just painted - they look extremely neat, couldnt work out if you had cut out the centre section and replaced it with coiled tubing or not.

good job
Thanks Sean.The struts are OOB.I used a very thin piece of Tamiya masking tape cut with a scalpel and after painting the silver (Alclad) I wrapped the tape around the the inner coils and painted the blue of the spring.After the tape was removed it left quite a neat job.I was very pleased with the result.

Best regards,

Steve.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennake
Great overall work and especially the paint finish!

May I make a suggestion though? I know you told us that it's to late to remove the ejector pin marks, but I still would ask you to reconsider; you will regret it later on if you leave them like this, so noticeable in a model that is so well built aside from them...
Thanks Guy.You may have convinced me to try and rectify the ejector pin marks problem.They do look quite unsightly in the pictures.I may be able to remove the offending part fill and re-paint them,but I did glue the top in quite tight and left it overnight to dry,so we'll see how easy it is to remove it.The suspension should be easy to remove as it is only a press fit anyway with no glue.

Best regards,

Steve.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #11
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesans

The thing I did forget was the head rest that fits on the monocoque and is also part of the air box fill that joint I had to glue that in then do some more painting of the yellow to fill in the joint you can still see it a little this was after I had put the green on the side.
Hope this helps
Thanks for the tips Dave.I had also looked at the headrest area as well as an area of concern.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
Spike2933
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike2933

so far lookin good
Old 04-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

It's been a while since I last updated.I've been quite busy of late on other things and didn't have much time for modelling,so it took a back seat for a while.To be honest I've not progressed a lot further on the build,but I have made a little progress.I had quite a headache trying to paint the Ford logos onto the engine covers.I tried all sorts of methods,masking,painting by hand,even applying Bare Metal foil,painting black and scraping off the black to reveal the foil.The method I settled on was to spray them black,drybrush the logo's with Citadel colours chainmail silver and then apply a wash of Tamiya X-18 enamel to neaten the area around the logo's.It's still not perfect after 4 attempts but I'm fairly happy with it this time.I'm also going to rectify the ejector pin marks on the two side pieces as well.

I painted 2 of the tyres (fronts) and added the decals.The yellow stripes were a little tricky to fit.I used the Studio 27 ones at first and they seemed a bit too big all over.So I removed them and went with the Tamiya ones instead and they fitted a lot better.Gunze Mr Mark Softer used sparingly helped them to conform without wrinkling and I sealed all the decals with 2 coats of Finishers Auto Clear.I'm not sure yet wheather to use the stencil or decals for the Goodyear logo's on the tyres.

I've also singled out the air intake cover as an area I can improve.So I've removed the moulded in trumpets and am preparing the part to accept turned metal items from Meri Kits.The 2 pieces of white are some styrene rod I added to fill a couple of holes in the plastic.These will be sanded flush later.

These are the Meri Kits turned trumpets.I think they are a big improvement over trying to paint the Tamiya moulded in ones.

I should be able to update more often now I have a little more time on my hands,so until the next update.Best regards.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
davesans
AF Enthusiast

Looking good Steve I know what you mean about paintint the logo on the engine covers I am trying to paint the ones on my FW13B and their smaller the the Ford logo therenot coming out that nice at all. The intake trumpets look awesome can't wait to see installed.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:44 AM   #15
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

that looks great, really clean work! The turned trumpets will look great on the engine, can't wait to see them installed opcorn:
Decs0105 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports