Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
mjdiercks
AF Newbie

Switch for back-up lights?

Our 98 Voyager failed safety inspection because the back-up lights don't work. The bulbs are fine and the fuse seems to be fine (as far as I can tell-I can't find any that are out), and I have been told it is probably some sort of switch which is probably on the transmission.

So ... I was wondering if anyone knew what the switch was called and where exactly it is so that I can get at it and change it out. I was quoted $250 for it, but that seemed outrageous for replacing a switch. But maybe it's an expensive switch. I was hoping someone might be able to help me with identifying it and deciding whether it is something I can fix. Or with a different diagnosis, if you think there is one.

Thanks!
mjdiercks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
earlyrizr
AF Regular

Re: Switch for back-up lights?

it's called the neutral start/back-up light switch.easy to replace,but it should be checked first to make sure thats the problem,and not something else.located just off to the side of the solenoid cover
earlyrizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
jsinton
AF Enthusiast

If you have a four speed trans, the neutral saftey switch is called something else, and it's located inside the trans connected to the valve body. You have to drop the trans pan, and remove the valve body to replace it.
jsinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
ronmar1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinton
If you have a four speed trans, the neutral saftey switch is called something else, and it's located inside the trans connected to the valve body. You have to drop the trans pan, and remove the valve body to replace it.

Sorry to disagree, but the neutal start (as it is called) switch on a 98 4 speed is on the outside of the tranny on the front corner closest to the end away from the engine. Looking down on the tranny from the front of the car, it will be on the right front corner.

Ron

Last edited by ronmar1; 04-02-2007 at 10:18 PM.
ronmar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
jsinton
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmar1
Sorry to dis agree, but the neutal start (as it is called) switch on a 98 4 speed is on the out side of the tranny on the front corner closest to the end away from the engine. Looking down on the tranny from the front of the car, it will be on the right front coner.

Ron
That's totally wrong, Ronmar1!

See here...

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801a4790.jsp
Old 04-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
ronmar1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinton
That's totally wrong, Ronmar1!

See here...

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801a4790.jsp
I may be totally wrong, in your opinion, but I have built a few A604s and replaced the Neutral start, back up light sensor on many more and I will assure you the pictures and script on the site you list are incorrect for an A604 (41TE) in a Caravan. The switches are on the outside of the tranny screwed into the case just as I stated above. If you go to the trouble of dropping the valve body to change out the neutral start and back-up light switch on a 1998 Caravan with an A604, you're going to be quite disappointed!

Ron
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
jsinton
AF Enthusiast

Quite right, the early A604 transmission has the neutral safety switch on the outside, and is easy to replace. A604 were on earlier vans. The van he is describing has the newer 41TE transmission, which like I said before, has the TRS configuration, which is bolted to the valve body inside the transmission, just like they say at Autozone.

The A604 is essentially the same as the 41TE, except that it went through 28 design changes to try to deal with the A604 problems. One of the changes was the creation of the Transaxle Range Sensor, which did away with the neutral safety switch altogether.

So I would say if you can find the neutral safety switch on the front of the trans, then yes, it's an easy fix. But from all indications I can see, he has the TRS configuration. It's up to him to look for the NSS.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
dawn479
AF Newbie

I am having the same problem, I just registere with AF cause of this and this is my last day for inspection or I'll have to pay the full fee again when it's just this one thing. I have a 1997 Plymouth Voyager, reverse lights weren't working, checked everything you did. Replaced the neutral safety switch very easily, just took the cap with the wires on it off and unscrewed the old one and screwed the new one back in, it worked last night, the lights did, then I get up this morning to take it to the shop and they're not working, wiggled it and the shifter and still nothing.
dawn479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #9
jsinton
AF Enthusiast

Check the fuse. Make sure the bulbs are good. Sounds like you have a short someplace.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
ronmar1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn479
I am having the same problem, I just registere with AF cause of this and this is my last day for inspection or I'll have to pay the full fee again when it's just this one thing. I have a 1997 Plymouth Voyager, reverse lights weren't working, checked everything you did. Replaced the neutral safety switch very easily, just took the cap with the wires on it off and unscrewed the old one and screwed the new one back in, it worked last night, the lights did, then I get up this morning to take it to the shop and they're not working, wiggled it and the shifter and still nothing.
I'd think you have a bad connection at the switch. Good place for corrosion. Clean the plug good with an electronics cleaner (Radio Shack). Plug and unplug the plug several times to help clean the connector. Also check the plug to be sure the pin connectors haven't spead enough to cause a short.

Ron

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager