Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
sportscars24
AF Newbie

Kitreview:Hyundai WRC San Remo 2000 from Reji

Hello,

in the last days I got the Reji Hyundai WRC from the 2000 San Remo Rallye. When I unpacked the parts, I was a little bit shocked. Body and chassis doesn´t look bad, but the work to get a clean body is enormos. Panel-lines are rather plain, all must be rescribed.

The cage is so unclean that I think it is better to built it from Evergreen.

In this price kategory I expect wheels from alu not resin, the insert can be resin, but look, how much work I need to clean them.

The same for the small parts: They don´t look bad, but cleaning them and to sit in the unhealthy resin dust several hours long make me think.

Decals look ok, there are a few pe-parts, especially the seatharness from Reji is not according to scale: the belts you can use with the pe-parts are not in 1:24 scale, they are narrower because the slots in the harnees is too narrow.

So to come to an end: nearly 100 Euro are a lot for this quality and these less parts, or better: 100 Euro is too much. I really ask myself, if it isn´t better to sell the kit and buy a kit that is worth the money

Regards Roger
sportscars24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Re: Kitreview:Hyundai WRC San Remo 2000 from Reji

Looks like some serious prep work to get that anywhere near paint ready.I built the Reji Audi Sport Quattro and that was a similar story.It came out well and was worth the effort in the end,but I agree with you,when they charge the amounts they do for these resin kits the quality should be much higher.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
hrmodeler
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to hrmodeler Send a message via MSN to hrmodeler

Mine is looking little better than yours, but mine is from 1st batch.
At least you got right wheels with 5 holes, while I and Sasa got it with 4 so Reji guys sent us correct version latter.

hrmodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
M4tt83
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to M4tt83 Send a message via MSN to M4tt83 Send a message via Yahoo to M4tt83

The things that stood out for me were how bad those wheel faces are and the large blocks of resin left over from the casting process on the vast majority of parts. My S27 and MFH kits don't have them, so why Reji? My Renaissance kits don't have them to that extent either and they are probably a better comparison.

I don't doubt that you can build a good finished model out of it, but you have to decide whether you think the subject is worth that much time and effort .
Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

It seems you got a bad exemplary of this kit, cos mine and my brother's one were both far better...

Even if that's true and you have to know it buying their kits, Reji always means so much work to clean the parts.
I took 2 days (around 10 hours) to clean all the parts of each Reji kit...
But I also need several hours to clean some Renaissance (1 hour per wheel for the M3 cos' of BBS "y" holes to open one by one !! )...
So I would simply say it's such resin kits price to get a nice model...

And don't worry, it does exist worse !! their quattro S1 for example...
Or just think to former MRM kits !

Phil
rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
SteveK2003
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SteveK2003 Send a message via Yahoo to SteveK2003

I had some of the same experiences with my Reji Fabia: My body was in good shape, and most of the smaller parts were decent that I remember (It's been in it's box waiting for me to get my skills up), but the roll cage was basically useless (It's fairly clean, I guess, but it's incorrect for the Fabia WRC), the wheels are correct but not that great (Holes in the 'spokes' are not very clean) and the snow tires are totally incorrect for this era.

But having said that, like your Hyundai, where else are you going to go for a Skoda Fabia WRC kit? I would also prefer they sell the body and some transkit parts for a Tamiya or Hasegawa chassis that somewhat closely matches the size and look of the real car.
SteveK2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:08 AM   #7
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Hi,

nice to see, that there are now other modelers, who make reviews .

Well, those parts look really bad. I have the Reji Skoda Red Bull (offered by domino.be) and things here are similar.

@ stevemoble who wrote: „…but I agree with you,when they charge the amounts they do for these resin kits the quality should be much higher…“

@ hrmodeler who wrote: „…while I and Sasa got it with 4 so Reji guys sent us correct version latter ...“

I agree 100 %!! It seems, that a quality–control before packing the kit parts doesn´t exist at Reji. If the modeler doesn´t look exactly at the parts and writes to the manufacturer for substitute, he has a wrong kit and the manufacturer earns money without adequate work.

@ M4tt83 who wrote: „…how bad those wheel faces are and the large blocks of resin left over from the casting process on the vast majority of parts. My S27 and MFH kits don't have them, so why Reji?“

I don´t understand that, too. Maybe it is his own way to make parts (and gives the kit-package a higher weight ;-)) )

@ rallymaster who wrote: „…So I would simply say it's such resin kits price to get a nice model... And don't worry, it does exist worse !! their quattro S1 for example...

@ SteveK2003 who wrote: „…where else are you going to go for a Skoda Fabia WRC kit?...“

No, Phil and Steve, other manufacturers show, that a resin kit can be produced in a clean way … and I built the S1, too – it might be worse and meanwhile I´d prefer to wait some time whether this modell appears from another manufacturer in a better shape. I have the time to wait, because in the meantime my self is full of better kits that wait to be built.

@ sportscars24: If you aren´t a serious rallye car modeller, and the Hyundai is a must have for you, get rid of it and wait if it will produced later.

Those wheels are a joke. In this price class alu rings with etched or resin inserts are standard, at the moment there is the Scaleproduction Murcielago GT-R transkit on my workbench, there are the insert made by plastic injection moulding, something I haven´t seen on Japanese models yet.

Here a pic from my Lambo Murcie kit review:
Old 01-27-2007, 04:44 AM   #8
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportracer02
Hi,

@ rallymaster who wrote: „…So I would simply say it's such resin kits price to get a nice model... And don't worry, it does exist worse !! their quattro S1 for example...

@ SteveK2003 who wrote: „…where else are you going to go for a Skoda Fabia WRC kit?...“

No, Phil and Steve, other manufacturers show, that a resin kit can be produced in a clean way … and I built the S1, too – it might be worse and meanwhile I´d prefer to wait some time whether this modell appears from another manufacturer in a better shape. I have the time to wait, because in the meantime my self is full of better kits that wait to be built.

Hi Micha,

I only wanted to talk about reji kits and especially this Hyundai kit when saying "having such work to clean it is the price to pay to get a nice model" which we both know won't be released anywhere else, even if other manufacterers have better quality kits...
I'm sorry to say that but I don't care about what do other brands if it's not what I am looking for for my collection...

I think that I didn't clearly explain my thoughts, that didn't mean I accept such bad quality, this is purely scandalous to pay 100 euros for such s... but if you want a Hyundai it's the only possibility, and whatever other brands are doing when it's not the same kit...

But you're right, that said, there is people paying and other refusing to pay...

What I also have to say to be complete on the subject is that my hyundai kit didn't have such wheels, I received one-part wheel with few clean work to do...

I think that this the most unacceptable, they don't improve their Hyundai kit with time and new production, they released worse ones !!

Phil
Old 01-27-2007, 05:16 AM   #9
malscar
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs down Re: Kitreview:Hyundai WRC San Remo 2000 from Reji

Looked at both my Hyundai and Fabia kits from Reji, and I must say that they could be carbon copies quality-wise of the kit you have.

When I compare them to a 5 year old Studio27 Supra, the quality and care taken is miles different. Price for the S27 compared to the Reji is a little higher but not enough to justify the extra quality. The only thing that is comparable is the decals.

Not good if Reji want to make it in this industry and this will be a shame as they are offering things no one else makes. Maybe that is why they charge like wounded bulls and give you second class products. We have nowhere else to go.
malscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:19 AM   #10
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymaster

I think that I didn't clearly explain my thoughts, that didn't mean I accept such bad quality, this is purely scandalous to pay 100 euros for such s... but if you want a Hyundai it's the only possibility, and whatever other brands are doing when it's not the same kit...

Phil
Phil, these thoughts are what I read from your text. Probably my text is a little bit different to what I had in my mind while writing it .

Your sentence "... this is purely scandalous to pay 100 euros for such s... but if you want a Hyundai it's the only possibility, and whatever other brands are doing when it's not the same kit..." says it all . Each moment I think about it, it makes me even more angry.

Those who must have the kit : have fun
Old 01-27-2007, 06:52 AM   #11
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Old 01-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #12
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

TBH, that kit looks like crap!! :barf:

I think 100euros for that is a disgrace!

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:35 AM   #13
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic

I agree with all of you guys but at the end of the day I have a kit in my stash and when Reji give me something I want again, I will buy it without hesitation
I must say that this flash thing all over the parts is not that hard to remove and my only minus for this kit would be the wheels, I think that the best thing would be for Reji to pack Tamiya wheels in their kits when ever possible.

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:33 AM   #14
manu80
AF Regular

wow...my fabia was a bit better molded than that. But if you want exclusivity, it has a price.Moneay and tima ....unfortunately....
good luck !
manu80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #15
SteveK2003
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SteveK2003 Send a message via Yahoo to SteveK2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjelic
I agree with all of you guys but at the end of the day I have a kit in my stash and when Reji give me something I want again, I will buy it without hesitation
I must say that this flash thing all over the parts is not that hard to remove and my only minus for this kit would be the wheels, I think that the best thing would be for Reji to pack Tamiya wheels in their kits when ever possible.
I like the idea of using Tamiya wheels whenever possible: Why bother 'reinventing the wheel' when for probably a comparable price you can just add ready-made parts that are already of the highest quality.

And like I said before, take it even further and find a suitable Tamiya chassis to use as a base, and then give us the body, roll cage and other interior components (Seats, dash, etc), and some suspension parts to make the underside a little more accurate do do away with the rest. I am toying with doing that with my Fabia.

And who cares if that method is not totally accurate for the suspension? A) I couldn't begin to tell you what the underside of the real Fabia WRC looks like. B) Even the wrong chassis looks a lot better than the smooth plate we have now.
SteveK2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD