Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Ives1
AF Newbie

Question Has anyone installed Ceramic Brake pads? Any Pros or Cons?

I would like to hear from anyone who has replaced their Disc Brake Pads with Ceramic Pads. Would like to hear there opinion on them. Thanks Ives
Ives1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Roc1
AF Newbie

Re: Has anyone installed Ceramic Brake pads? Any Pros or Cons?

I haven't installed any ceramic brakes, but I ran across this article that may be of some help in your decision.

Asbestos pads caused health issues and organic compounds can't always meet a wide range of braking requirements. Unfortunately the steel strands used in semi-metallic pads to provide strength and conduct heat away from rotors also generate noise and are abrasive enough to increase rotor wear.

Since they were first used on a few original equipment applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter braking because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.

Another characteristic that makes ceramic materials attractive is the absence of noticeable dust. All brake pads produce dust as they wear. The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer.

Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend brake life compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin - with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance.

This is quite an improvement over organic and semi-metallic brake materials that typically sacrifice pad life to reduce noise, or vice versa.
Roc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Ives1
AF Newbie

Thanks for that article Roc. I was going to install ceramic pads on another van in the past. But the guy a the auto parts store talked me out of it. He claimed that Ceramic pads wore the rotors down faster. So I never bought them.

According to that article it is just the opposite. Thanks again Ives
Ives1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
mjzzs
AF Newbie

I put them on my 96 grand voyager and love em, they have great stopping ability, low dust and low squeal. I was pleased I put them on my other cars too! Honda and Cherokee
mjzzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
sak22
USACMRETVET

Ditto... Excellent stopping ability, virtually no brake dust and very smooth, quiet braking. Would recommed though that if you have any concerns about your rotor wear, you replace those at the same time.
2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS- Dark Cherry Red Metallic
1989 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado- Custom Black Cherry Metallic
"The Black Beauty"
sak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
webbch
AF Regular

The main thing I like about ceramic pads is the reduced tendency to squeek and they don't litter your wheels with brake dust nearly as much.

...BUT, they *do* run much hotter than semi-metallic. I too have heard that they wear out the rotor much faster, but rotors to me are an item to be replaced, especially these days, as by the time the rotor needs to be turned, it's virtually at or below it's spec'd minimum thickness.
webbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
TrueLyFE
AF Regular

I'm not using them on the Caravan (just bought the money pit), but I do have Hawk ceramics and slotted rotors on the fronts on my Camaro. Huge improvement to stopping power before skid, fairly quiet operation (a small squeal every now and then though a lot quieter than semi-metallic) and once they warm up, stopping power is even better. My whole front brakejob was less than $150 in parts for some nice rotors and ceramic pads...

Won't use anything different anymore
TrueLyFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
michfixit
AF Newbie

Yes, Hawk HPS pads for street use are supposed to be the best. By the way, I've learned that nearly all "warped" rotor isues are direct result of poor pads dropping deposits on the rotors and wearing bad and causing the pulsation. So when they say they are warped, tell them not to sell ya junk pads!

Go premium pads is what I have learned and warped rotors are a non event. Also, proper bed-in for new pads is extremely important, too. How many shops tell you about how to do that when you get a brake job? That keeps YOU coming back with "warped rotors"!!!!
michfixit is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager