Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Mirage
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
ts128158
AF Newbie

Over filled battery, 97 mirage 1.5l

First sorry for the double post, but Im stuck at work again!!(Posted in non-specific as well)I finally got most of the no start problems taken care of. Much less then I thought. But now I may have over filled my battery while trying to fix yet another problem. I notice one night when the car wouldnt start again, that the water level was low on one bank of the battery. So I filled it to the appropriate level started up no problem. A day went by the car failed to start again. So i looked at the other side since I forgot it the other night. Well it was a bit low too. So I filled it up but my hand slipped a bit and I over filled it. Got it running but barely with shaking of the battery and alot of cussing, Now the car will only start after sitting for a few hours, then after I drive it around it wont restart. Is there anything I can do at this point to fix it or just get another battery? (Non-maintnance this time) Also is it possible to run a larger battery for my car. Its a 97 mirage 1.5l. The battery is tiny, can I run a larger battery for peace of mind or is the tiny one I have enough?
ts128158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
DFBonnett
AF Enthusiast

Re: Over filled battery, 97 mirage 1.5l

How old is the battery?
Are the cable connections at the battery clean?
Have you checked alternator output with a meter?
Yes, you can put in a bigger battery as long as it fits the battery box in terms of length, width, and height, and the terminals are in the right place.
DFBonnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
ts128158
AF Newbie

The battery is only 2-3 months old. I put new connectors on the other day, I reused the same wire but cut back a bit for fresher wire. I checked the output from the alt. and it was normal. I've borrowed a car from my family in the mean time, but I did start it yesterday without any issues. Will the battery get better if I leave alone for a while? Or should I run it more?
ts128158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
DFBonnett
AF Enthusiast

If you can get a battery charger on it, you might want to give it a full charge then see how it goes. If it gives you trouble again the battery is likely defective. A new battery being defective is not unheard of. I've see a couple DOA right out of the box.
DFBonnett is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Mirage