Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
madfinnhockey
AF Newbie

Climate control/radio button lamp replacement

2000 suburban, a few of the lamps on my climate control panel (AC - Defrost) have burnt out and I want to replace them. Went to the local chevy dealer to purchase them, and I was told that the lamps are not replaceable, that then entire unit would have to be replaced, ugh!

Has anyone every pulled theirs apart and replaced theirs?

Also, I have a few burnt out lamps on my radio, has anyone ever ventured into theirs to replace any there?
madfinnhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
94century
AF Newbie

Re: Climate control/radio button lamp replacement

Radios for years now have irreplaceable lamps. You should be able to replace the light in the HVAC contols. The oly way is to pull it apart and look. It is not all that hard.
1989 GMC C1500 305
94century is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

"Irreplaceable" only means it's a little more difficult to replace them. ("Impossible" only takes a little longer.)

Blue Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:09 AM   #4
Old Dave
AF Newbie

Blue Bowtie is that lamp #8099? Where did you get them? I have a couple that's out in my Delco Radio and if I have it apart I am going to replace them all.
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD Shortbed Ext. cab
1998 Chevy K2500 W/5.7L Vortec
2002 Harley Custom Chopper
Wife is a late 1951
Old Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
rsmith8411
AF Newbie

The replacement lamp for the a/c and recirc. buttons is GM part no. 16203572 ($4.41 each). They have the yellow covers. My local GM dealer had to order them, but it was not a problem. The other a/c module backlight lamps are similar, but I don't have the part no. for them. I'm going to get some tomorrow, so I'll try to post back. They are extremely easy to replace - 1/4 turn after you remove the dash bezel and a/c module. It's about a 10 minute job.

The radio lights are a different story - I bought a kit at www.corvetteradios.com/corvetteradios_013.htm and had to solder them in. My 99 Suburban used the 10 light kit. There are other links, but I can't find them tonight because my internet connection is slow, but there was a place that for about $40 you could ship it to them and they would repair it and ship it back. The soldering job I did was not for a novice, although I'm no electronics tech. Someone with moderate electrical skills can do it. The instructions at the link above tell you pretty much everything, including photos.
rsmith8411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
rsmith8411
AF Newbie

Here's a link to a place that does the radio repair for $75:

http://oem-auto-accessory.com/radio_repairs.html

I found a place last year that did it for less than $50 including return postage, but I'm striking out. I found them in automotive forums somewhere, so if you keep looking you may find them also. The local car stereo place may do it too.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

A box of ten 8098 or 8099 lamps was less than $12, less than three months ago. If you cannot find them locally, this place can ship them:

http://www.jaytronics.com/
Blue Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
rsmith8411
AF Newbie

I went by the dealer today and bought a replacement bulb for the climate control backlights (GM part number was 9436790 and cost was $3.41 each). This part number does not include the base, but you shouldn't need to replace the base. Also, there is a website www.donsbulbs.com that seems to have a huge cross reference for different manufacturers, and lists this bulb with a cross reference to other manufacturers. But for $3.41 each, it's not worth a lot of driving around to find them cheaper.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #9
Leadhead
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith8411
There are other links, but I can't find them tonight because my internet connection is slow, but there was a place that for about $40 you could ship it to them and they would repair it and ship it back.
I just ran across this place:
http://replacementradios.com/index.php?cPath=289_316
Is that possibly the site you saw? I know nothing about them except I found them via eBay. Supposedly you get a 6 month warranty on the work, and the $40 includes shipping back to you. I may send mine to them since I have several lights out in my stereo. Sure beats paying for a new radio.
Leadhead is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban