Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > F-Body Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F-Body Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
KENNY GUIDO
AF Newbie

96 Firebird Gas Odor Problem.........

Hello again! I dont know if many remember me but I had purchased a 1996 FIREBIRD from an auction. It was a fresh water flood recovery with only 54,000 miles on it. I had spent a good 6 months trying to repair the car. right now it is in MINT condition. it has 54,000 miles on it now (1 year later) and I had to replace the power window motors over the year. everything is fine now except for this major problem:

when I get into the car at times, I would smell "raw gasoline" within the car. It doesnt happen all the time. My mechanic noticed it as well and they tried looking for the cource but were unable to find it. Im kind of scared now because I heard on the news that a man was burned alive in his car by a simalar incident. He was smelling raw gas in the car and he was going to take it the shop the next day but a witness said they saw a "spark" in the car then the whole entire interior of the car was engulfed in flames, taking the mans life.

does anyone know what is the matter? I dont recall any gaslines going into the interior of the car. thanks!
KENNY GUIDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:47 AM   #2
ikeyballz
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ikeyballz
Re: 96 Firebird Gas Odor Problem.........

i have the same problem..try get your car scanned fora code, my car has the code for the charcoal canister, or the 'purge canister'..
all else = STOCK.
ikeyballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
KENNY GUIDO
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeyballz
i have the same problem..try get your car scanned fora code, my car has the code for the charcoal canister, or the 'purge canister'..

thanks, but I dont understand how the purge canister would have anything to do with it. I know some stuff about cars but how will this allow a gasoline odor in the car and not outside?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
ikeyballz
AF Enthusiast

something about the purge canister letting gas in/out.. im not really sure about that eithier..but my car started smelling like gas after i heard a 'pop' while filling up the tank..soon after, the CEL went on for the purge canister...so.. i sort of put the two together..
all else = STOCK.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
ikeyballz
AF Enthusiast

*gas vapor..etc.. (not to sure on thsi topic.)
all else = STOCK.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
KENNY GUIDO
AF Newbie

I told my mechanic that it would give off a code and he said when he scanned it with the comp, it gave no code. He then said he too, smelt the gas then when he put it in the bay/life, the gas odor was gone after starting it.

so, it seems that my problem seems to be when the car sits for some apparant reason.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #7
CreepingDeath94
AF Enthusiast

Any chance the seal/gasket at the top of the tank is leaking/faulty? That may cause a smell that gets worse as it sits. Also, if the gas cap was left loose...though that would probably smell stronger outside the car as wella s set off a code and check engine light...just trying to throw some things out there to look into.
CreepingDeath94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:02 AM   #8
KENNY GUIDO
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepingDeath94
Any chance the seal/gasket at the top of the tank is leaking/faulty? That may cause a smell that gets worse as it sits. Also, if the gas cap was left loose...though that would probably smell stronger outside the car as wella s set off a code and check engine light...just trying to throw some things out there to look into.
its definetly not the gas cap. I thought about the seal/gasket on top of the gas tank but wouldnt I smell it outside the car as well? the ordor is only on the inside of the car, and it seems to be random. He did say it could be the carbon canister since I bought it up to him, but its not giving him the computer code.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
KENNY GUIDO
AF Newbie

Ok, ive narrowed it down to this:

when I start the car in the morning: its fine. I drive around for a while, then park it. it will sit for 20 minutes then I get back in the car, I smell gasoline it happened twice already this morning.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:27 AM   #10
CreepingDeath94
AF Enthusiast

Well, it basically doesn't happen until the fuel system pressurizes then it sounds like. So its not going to be things like gas caps. Could possibly be a leaking fuel line under the car...though that should smell outside the car as well...honestly, anything having to do with the fuel system that is leaking and causing an odor in the car should be smelt outside the car too. it may just be that the wind and outside air are overpowering/clearing the smell away where as in the car it lingers due to the lack of ventilation. Check your fuel lines...otherwise Id have to go with the canister as well.
CreepingDeath94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #11
KENNY GUIDO
AF Newbie

thanks, it sounds like the canister is the only viable culprit. We couldnt figures anything else out. no leaks anywhere on the gas lines, tanks or anything. I will check the canister out and let you guys know. thanks!!
Old 10-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
fire96
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fire96

hey, i know i'm kinda late joining this topic but i was wondering if you had replaced the canister yet and wether or not it worked for you,because i have the exact same problem with my 96 bird. also wanted to know if its a replacement i can do myself?/part cost? thanks, john
fire96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #13
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

If its not throwing ANY trouble codes, the problem could be a leaking injector or injector seal. Once the car is off, fuel could be wasting past the injectors into the fuel rail, or it could be a injector seal is dumping fuel onto the top of the motor. Either way you should only be able to smell it standing down wind from the tail pipe. You could have an exhaust leak under the belly of the car. I would be more worried about brain damage from exhaust fumes, than your car exploding with you in it.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
KENNY GUIDO
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_chevyz
If its not throwing ANY trouble codes, the problem could be a leaking injector or injector seal. Once the car is off, fuel could be wasting past the injectors into the fuel rail, or it could be a injector seal is dumping fuel onto the top of the motor. Either way you should only be able to smell it standing down wind from the tail pipe. You could have an exhaust leak under the belly of the car. I would be more worried about brain damage from exhaust fumes, than your car exploding with you in it.
its giving a code, but that code says theres a "misfire". I havent been able to locate the problem, whether its a faulty sparkplug or bad wire.

The smell of gas that it was is not the vapor gas. its actual "raw" gasoline I smell right after I stop the engine.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Once the car is off, fuel could be wasting past the injectors into the fuel rail,
What i meant was the injector could be leaking gas into the intake...

Quote:
or it could be a injector seal is dumping fuel onto the top of the motor. Either way you should only be able to smell it standing down wind from the tail pipe.
If its dumping it onto the motor the odor would be under hood and never make it into the motor to be passed out of the tail pipe DUH..

Maybe gas fumes are getting to me also
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > F-Body Problem Diagnosis