Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
manlion
AF Newbie

Any words of wisdom? changing ac compressor 94 roadmaster

Does anyone have any tips or comments on changing the ac compressor 1994 roadmaster wagon? It is locked up. Is there an "Easy" way?
Thanks
manlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Any words of wisdom? changing ac compressor 94 roadmaster

I've heard they are a pain in the ass to replace. I'm going to have to do mine next spring as I noticed a couple of weeks ago while replacing my starter and changing the oil that the compressor appeared to have split in two. There was a big tear going down the side like it had blown apart.(Guess that explains why I lost my a/c a week after having it recharged this past summer.) A fellow mechanic friend also has a '95 like mine and he needed to replace his earlier this year. He does practically 99% of his own work on his vehicles, but when he saw the amount of work it entailed to replace the compressor, he took it to another friend who owns a shop. This guy quoted him $150 to replace it, he already had bought the part, so it was just labor. After he got the car back he told me the mechanic said he way underestimated the time and effort to R&R the a/c compressor. He didn't charge him any more because he wanted to stick with his original quote, and told my friend he got a deal on the job. This makes me apprehensive about having mine done next year, but after seeing how mine performed during the summer , albeit a week, it was great.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

If you have any freon in the unit ask a shop to vacuum it out for the freon.
With shop time running around $50 to $80 per hour it adds up quick. Where goggles when disconnecting the lines. I would install a new filter dryer and expansion valve. After it is installed you have to vacuum it down and recharge it. If it uses freon you can't buy it without a license. I noticed three different years you probably need r134. A parts store will have replacements for freon and r134. You will need a belt tool to remove the belt a 3/8 inch socket set and open end wrenchs. I think you will need jack stands and probably a day to do it. Watch removing brackets and lay it in line as you remove it.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Manlion's RM more than likely uses R-134a as he says it's a '94. The changeover years were 1992-93. There should be a sticker under the hood , or on one of the a/c components with the type of refrigerant the vehicle uses.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Your correct on the refrigerant I was looking at a 1991 and got years mixed up. He should do the job this fall as it is needed for the defroster and the longer it is open the more moisture gets into the system which can cause a lot more problems.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
2k3windstar
AF Newbie

I wrote this a while back:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=431155

Applies to a 96 Roadmaster.
2k3windstar is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster