Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
Wootmaniac
AF Newbie

Thumbs down 1999 Silverado brake lines shot

My 99 silverado brake lines look like they're 30 years old and all need replaced.Anybody else have this problem?
Any idea what factory lines run or is it easier to fabricate them?
Rest of the truck is in excellent shape.

Thanks,
Woot
Wootmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1999 Silverado brake lines shot

Their is another thread on brake lines and how to replace them. If you have big money factory units are easier to install. I'm not sure they sell them but check first.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Wootmaniac
AF Newbie

FYI- I replaced my lines...was a little trouble but i've done some tube bending before.My chevy dealer advised they do not sell pre-bent lines anymore and showed me on his IPC they come in a bulk 16 foot coil and they bend them.I can just imagine the labor charge for that for four wheel replacement.

Also I found two aftermarket pre-bent line companies but they only went up to '98.....mine '99..
Old 09-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

I always just went to a parts store and they have a box of them with double flares and flare nuts attached on the long run from front to back I purchased a coupler it is made for flare nuts. It is made for this purpose. All my experience for this type of work is on older cars. In Georgia unless you live along the coast they normally last for over 20 years unless somebody from up north moves in. I removed one piece at a time bent it to fit and installed it. I didn't finish tightning it until the flare nuts at both ends had been started.
I purchased some different lengths so I didn't have to flare anything.
A good days job without a lift. Just have a vehicle handy to get parts you missed.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
joema
AF Newbie

That's my recent thread about brake line replacement...mine's a 2000. Where did you drive yours? I could't find pre-bent lines, either. I'm convinced it would be impossible to do any line as one piece, anyway. I tried junkyards. Unfortunately, they cut the brake lines to quickly remove the master cylinder and ABS module. Even if you got real lucky, you probably wouldn't be able to remove them in one piece. I'm considering using partial lines from junk trucks, and using a double flaring tool to make new ends.

Let me know how it goes. I just replaced a big section of the line in the engine compartment that goes to the passenger front brake. It had a hole in it. I sanded some of it and found more places that were ready to go.

One more thing. My bleeder valve was stuck. I ended up having to replace that caliper. We broke an easy-out and wrench tring to get it out.
joema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
joema
AF Newbie

Oops. I didn't realize that was you who had already replced them. How did you get the lines through the metal sheaths that run from the abs module to the engine compartment?
Old 09-21-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
Wootmaniac
AF Newbie

what i hit was plastic clips that held the lines in place from the abs mod forward...you have to look at them closly,they unsnap with a small screwdriver....I had to unclip the wire looms that feed all the back electrical stuff alongside the frame,it made more room.if I did it again,i'd consider removing the body mount at the rear of the left wheelwell too.

metal sheaths?? you refering to the spring windings around the tubing at the zig-zag bend on the frame?they're anti chafing guards I believe and they hold all the corrosion and water real nice to promote rust through!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
joema
AF Newbie

Hey Wootmaniac, you never told us where you drove your truck to get all that corrosion. Now, did you take the chafe guards out, or did you just slide the brake lines out of the guards, leaving the guards in place?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado