Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
selings
AF Newbie

Cool Monte Carlo Wont Start

I have a 1996 Monte carlo with a 3.1, it was running fine parked it in the street and went out the next day to go and it would not start, It made no noise at all, checked the battery it was fine the cables were cleaned head lights are bright all of the dash lights light up when key turned on but when turned over to start no clicking nothing as if the battery is dead. I turn the key to On and then used a remote start to on the starter and it starts but only runs for approx. 15 seconds then dies. I have attempted to reset the security by leaving the key in the on position for approx. 20 min. and attempted to start it still nothing and the security light blinks when the key is turned to on and let it set for 20 min. it never stops blinking not sure if this has anything to do with resetting the security. any thoughts on what might be wrong with this car.

Thanks for the help Steve
selings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Lightbulb Re: Monte Carlo Wont Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by selings
I have a 1996 Monte carlo with a 3.1, it was running fine parked it in the street and went out the next day to go and it would not start, It made no noise at all, checked the battery it was fine the cables were cleaned head lights are bright all of the dash lights light up when key turned on but when turned over to start no clicking nothing as if the battery is dead. I turn the key to On and then used a remote start to on the starter and it starts but only runs for approx. 15 seconds then dies. I have attempted to reset the security by leaving the key in the on position for approx. 20 min. and attempted to start it still nothing and the security light blinks when the key is turned to on and let it set for 20 min. it never stops blinking not sure if this has anything to do with resetting the security. any thoughts on what might be wrong with this car.

The vats system is the issue here, try another key,first, it is possible the wires to the key cylinder are broken, if the other key does not work, post back there may be another solution here. Thanks for the help Steve
The vats is the problem here, the wires to the key cyl are usually the culprit, but try another key in the mean time, post back results, there may be another solution.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
selings
AF Newbie

Re: Monte Carlo Wont Start

tried both keys still wont start

Steve
Old 08-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

I agree with Max that it's a vats issue. Most likely the two thin wires that go from the ignition cylinder to the security module have broken or frayed internally not sending a signal that the correct key is inserted.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
selings
AF Newbie

Cleaned both keys and then checked the resistance on both first key the chip was 4.73 ohms and in the cylinder and checking at the wires under the dash it was 4.29 ohms the second key the chip was 4.72 ohms and the key in the cylinder was 4.29 ohms and I did spray an electrical parts cleaner into the cylinder to clean it up tried it again and shows changes in run. what is the best way to fix this problem.

Thanks for any help Steve

Last edited by selings; 08-16-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Most likely you need to change out the ignition lock cylinder. The bad part is that you'll need to have it coded to your key and calibrated to your security module, which is a dealer only proceedure.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
maxwedge
A990 racer

Lightbulb Re: Monte Carlo Wont Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz
Most likely you need to change out the ignition lock cylinder. The bad part is that you'll need to have it coded to your key and calibrated to your security module, which is a dealer only proceedure.
Rich, we could do the bypass deal here?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
selings
AF Newbie

well that is the bridge that I crossed this afternoon the good new is that the wire to the cylinder was broken, so I went to GM dealer bought a new cylinder and had the keys matched and cut they are proud of them. I have it back togeather and put the key in and attempted to start it now the bad news it won't start still does the samething nothing battery is up and the put the key in and reset the system by waiting then attempting to start nothing pulled the VATs wire appart and checked the key and then put the key in and checked it then turned the key to on and start with all good resaults but still no start can put a remote starter on the starter and turn the key to on and start it but only runs 10-15 seconds then stops

stumped please help thanks Steve
Old 08-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
maxwedge
A990 racer

Question Re: Monte Carlo Wont Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by selings
well that is the bridge that I crossed this afternoon the good new is that the wire to the cylinder was broken, so I went to GM dealer bought a new cylinder and had the keys matched and cut they are proud of them. I have it back togeather and put the key in and attempted to start it now the bad news it won't start still does the samething nothing battery is up and the put the key in and reset the system by waiting then attempting to start nothing pulled the VATs wire appart and checked the key and then put the key in and checked it then turned the key to on and start with all good resaults but still no start can put a remote starter on the starter and turn the key to on and start it but only runs 10-15 seconds then stops

stumped please help thanks Steve
Is the key chip the same as the original resistance?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #10
selings
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Monte Carlo Wont Start

Yes even went to the trouble of taking them back to the dealer and having them check them all new and old keys to make sure they were the same and they checked out fine. rechecked the key in the cylinder checking at the wire connection at the base of the steering column no changes stays 4.7 throughout all positions on off run start and in between.

Steve
Old 08-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #11
antoede
AF Newbie

i had the same problem , there is 2 ways u can do this , u can get a bypass kit or pay 500 usd for them to replace your key clydnir .
antoede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #12
selings
AF Newbie

That was replaced. I need to by pass the box under the dash to find out if indeed it is the problem or something else anyone know which wires for sure that need to be jumped to over ride the system.

Thanks Steve
Old 08-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #13
antoede
AF Newbie

call up a alarm place they would do it they was gonna charge me 45 dollars
antoede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:05 PM   #14
selings
AF Newbie

well it ended up the BCM was bad too replaced it took it in to have it reprogramed and it runs fine thanks for all the help.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo