Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevelle
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
thetaz_31
AF Newbie

Exclamation Whats the difference between the 68 chevelle and the 68 beaumont?????

Hello everybody. I am having a very VERY tough time finding a decent 68-69 chevelle for a decent price, when all the good deals role along cash has seemed to be a problem. Now that cash is available I come across a 1968 pontiac beaumont, wich uses the chevelle body/chassis, and drive train. Can someone please help me out in expaining wich has more rarity and wich one is better period...?
thetaz_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
highlandlake
AF Regular

Re: Whats the difference between the 68 chevelle and the 68 beaumont?????

Hi Taz,
The rarity question is easy. Far fewer Beamonts were produced. I can't recall seeing one in the northern new england U.S. at any carshow I've attended. No doubt they are around - but every cruise night, vintage car lot has a Chevelle. They are different that I know of by grille, taillights and perhaps front fenders? Interior I recall has different panels and dash.
Now the question of which one is better is a matter of opinion and experience. How many people have driven or restored both to make comparisons?
I know if I saw one on the road or at a show I'd spend more time oogling it than I would a same year Chevelle. Why? Because it's different, and not in a way like a Mopar is different than a GM. To some people the Pontiac (all things being equal such as condition, HP, color) may be more appealing especially if it had options not available with Chevy. To others the Chevelle may be the better choice because it's popular, recognizable and restoration parts are more available. If the Beaumont can be purchased at a lower price - the advantage goes to Pontiac because you'll have more money to spend on fixing it up to the same condition as you would be on a Chevelle.
For what its worth, between a Chevelle and a Beaumont both in rough, unrestored condition, I'd rather watch the Chevelle drive past. Chevy's have more character as a beater. The Pontiac would have more head-turning ability if both were in showroom condition. My opinion. Others hopefully will chime in with their knowledge on this. Just how good a deal can you get? Got any pictures or prices to share? Tom
GMC S-15 4WD
'57 Chevy 210 post sedan
'51 Ford F2 pickup
Recently gone but not forgotten - 68 Chevelle, '97 Rodeo V6 4WD.
highlandlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
thetaz_31
AF Newbie

Hey Highland,
I definatly prefer the look and style of the Chevelle more, and thank you very much for the info. I got some specs on the beaumont

(The guy that has it posted has it posted as a 1968 chevy chevelle beaumont)

Here is the info - 1968 CHEVROLET CHEVELLE BEAUMONT, no motor, no tranny, new exhaust, int good, body fair, $2,900 Delburne, AB.

theres a picture here
\/
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...px?ID=21754207

Thx, Thetaz
Old 07-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
highlandlake
AF Regular

Hey Taz,

Thanks for sending us the link. From the price he's asking a few things come to my mind:
1) Are muscle cars rare in your part of Canada? Is that why the owner is asking that amount? After doing the currency conversion it's a bit on the high side it seems.
2) Does this vehicle have all the special options like bucket seats, floor console & shifter, A/C, power brakes, power steering, was it originally a big block car?
3) Is heavy negotiation common in your area....in other words, will someone usually advertise a used car at a higher price and hope to get it, but will usually settle for much less?

I think these things because a vehicle in that apparent condition needs about $12,000C in parts/bodywork and a lot of hard work to get it to the condition that will turn heads like mentioned above. And then it may be worth less than the $15,000 on the open market if you needed to sell it soon after buying it and fixing it up. It can never be a numbers matching car unless where ever the drivetrain went can be located and put back in. That hurts value and spectator appreciation.

But, I could be wrong if that Beaumont is rarer than I think, and also has a bunch of options still in good shape and attached to the car. And if you really want a model like the Chevelle/Beaumont than any amount of money spent can't overcome the pride of driving it.
You have a tough decision coming up. And I admire your asking questions first and seeking out opinions. With that approach you'll have the right car in your driveway and no regrets. Let us know what happens, and hopefully some others here will throw in their 1.76 cents. (currency converter )
GMC S-15 4WD
'57 Chevy 210 post sedan
'51 Ford F2 pickup
Recently gone but not forgotten - 68 Chevelle, '97 Rodeo V6 4WD.
highlandlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
thetaz_31
AF Newbie

The for the advice, I think I'm going to pass this one on and look for my a chevelle to put my hard earned money into.

(I liked the currency convertion bit, quite clever)

Ciao, Brett
Old 07-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
ilgoldstein
AF Regular

More info on the Beaumont, see this:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...t/default.aspx
ilgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevelle