Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
A_Bartle
AF Newbie

Versatrak system, changing fluids...

Has anyone changed the fluid themselves in the Versatrak system? If so, could you please let me know how difficult it is. I have not been able to find any information on it. I was wondering if it's as simple as a drain plug and a filler plug in the unit, how much room there is to work on it, and if I need any special tools. Any help or links to information would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. The local dealer wants $500 to do the job, crazy, so that's why I would like to do it myself if possible.

Thanks!
Art
Old 07-18-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

Re: Versatrak system, changing fluids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Bartle
Has anyone changed the fluid themselves in the Versatrak system? If so, could you please let me know how difficult it is. I have not been able to find any information on it. I was wondering if it's as simple as a drain plug and a filler plug in the unit, how much room there is to work on it, and if I need any special tools. Any help or links to information would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. The local dealer wants $500 to do the job, crazy, so that's why I would like to do it myself if possible.

Thanks!
Art
Excuse my ignorance here but..............what exactly is a Versatrak system?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
A_Bartle
AF Newbie

Versatrak is the "All Wheel Drive" system that is used on the mini-vans, as well as many other models in the GM lineup.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Glen_T
AF Regular

My shop manual shows it to be a pretty easy job. There are two drain plugs on the front side of the rear differential unit. They look to have an internal hex on them, but I'm not sure. The lower one is for draining, and the upper one is for filling. The torque spec on both is 23 lb-ft.

It mentions to use synthetic gear lube from GM, so you might call your dealer and ask what they require. It says to fill it until it just runs out the upper hole, then plug it. It then says to make multiple very sharp left and right turns to distribute the oil to the left and right housing, then re-check the level.

Are you sure it needs replacement? How many miles do you have on the van?

Hope this helps...Glen
Old 07-20-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
A_Bartle
AF Newbie

Glen,

Thanks for the tips. I saw those hex head plugs on the Versatrak system, but I wasn't sure they were the fill/drain plugs, and if I remember correctly, I thought they were on the "side" of the unit, facing the drivers side rear wheel. The fill plug is not completely at the top of the unit, so I guess the fluid level doesn't go completely to the top. I also heard that you are suppose to refill the unit, then do the sharp turning routine, then drain and re-fill with fluid. I guess it's a "flushing" process. The van in question has about 105,000 miles on it, and has been making the "groaning" noise when turning for a little while now. Also, I heard that GM was having some problems with the earlier Versatrak systems and actually made some changes to the fluid, had you heard anything about that? By the way, where did you get your shop manual, I would like to get one for this van.

Thanks for your help!
Art
Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Glen_T
AF Regular

Sorry, I haven't heard of anything about Versatrak, but I haven't been "listening" since I don't have it.

The manual doesn't mention a flush procedure...you might ask the deaker....

I bought my shop manuals from Helm Inc. They are expensive, but thorough. You might try Ebay.

The sketch in the manual showed the upper plug not all the way to the top (going by memory - I'm at work now).
Old 07-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #7
A_Bartle
AF Newbie

Thanks for your help Glen! If you get a chance, when you are home and in front of your service manuals, see if there are any other "issues" I should look out for. I appreciate your help!

Art
Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
Glen_T
AF Regular

The manual doesn't mention anything else. I looked for a service interval recommendation, and didn't find anything....sorry, Glen
Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #9
A_Bartle
AF Newbie

Glen,

Thanks again for all your help, and for taking the time to research the issue. I really appreciate your assistance!

Art
Old 07-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
jhong1226
AF Regular

VersaTrak = Transfercase ?????
Old 07-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
T5_Steve
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Bartle
Glen,

The van in question has about 105,000 miles on it, and has been making the "groaning" noise when turning for a little while now. Also...
Art,

Does this "groaning" occure while turning in a particular direction... say left for example? My 2002 Venture AWD makes does (groans) only while slowly making left turns. Mine has about 59k miles.

Did changing the fluids make a difference?

Steve
Old 08-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
A_Bartle
AF Newbie

Steve,

Yes, the groaning is during sharp turning (parking lots, etc.) and it makes the noise in either direction. I have not changed the fluid yet, I'm still trying to find some data to explain how (where the drain/fills plugs are, how much fluid to put in, etc.). Can't believe it's this hard to find information, like it's some kind of national secret. I did purchase from eBay a Versatrak manual from GM, but believe it or not, it only talks about "replacement", no maintenance. If anyone has either changed their fluid in the Versatrak system, or knows where I can get some instructions/data on how to do so, please shoot me an email, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Art

abartle@glis.net
Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #13
A_Bartle
AF Newbie

Anyone have any luck on finding information on the Versatrak system... anything?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #14
T5_Steve
AF Newbie

I did change the fluid in the Rear Drive Module (aka... rear differential assembly) with new VersaTrak Fluid and like magic, the "groan" disappeared after 25 miles or so.

My Venture Owners Manual shows the location of the two plugs located on the drivers side of the RDM, the front-most plug is the fluid level "check" plug and rear-most plug is the drain plug. The plug requires a hex wrench to remove/tighten.

The RDM holds approx. 4 pints of VersaTrak fluid, which means you'll need 4 bottles of the fluid for the job. Cost of the new VersaTrak fluid runs about $25/bottle. Changing the fluid in the RDM is actually easier than changing the engine oil and filter!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #15
A_Bartle
AF Newbie

By any chance is it difficult to get the fluid into the unit? Did you use a funnel with a long hose? Also, the GM tec. bulletin suggests to change the fluid, do the turning maneuvers, drain it again and then refill a second time. I'm guessing that it's a "flushing" procedure. Did you change the fluid twice like that?

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

Art

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture