Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Woll1234
AF Newbie

99 Caravan 3.8 loud engine grinding rattling noise near rear oil pan happens w/ac on

My 99 Grand Caravan with the 3.8 (97K miles) has developed a very odd noise--a loud grinding or rattle, like rocks in a KitchenAide mixer bowl. It happens only around 800 rpm when the ac compressor comes on. Once the engine speeds up, it's gone. It's usually quiet when the ac isn't running but not always, I can make it happen slightly if I load up the engine. Ocassionally the noise reduces, then comes back.

But it isn't the ac compressor! I located the noise and it appears to be coming from the rear part of the oil pan, from inside the oil pan! Very close to where the engine mates to the transmission. Boy does it get loud.

I'm thinking --ugh!--a rod bearing, but what would the ac cycling have to do with it? Does the load of the ac compressor just sufficiently alter the steady state of the engine and load up the crankshaft just enough at that particular rpm to allow it to fully bang? What would a bad rod bearing sound like anyhow?

Any ideas?

Mark W. in Philadelphia
Woll1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Re: 99 Caravan 3.8 loud engine grinding rattling noise near rear oil pan happens w/ac on

Oh wow, de ja vu!

We, too, suffer from this strange noise in our 1998 T&C LX AWD with 3.8L and 94,500 miles. This noise has been there for the last two years to my recollection. It is loudest idling with the air conditioning on and then shifted into gear.

In all my attempts, I have not been able to locate this noise. It sounds to me like either some type of bracket either being cracked and broken or missing a mounting bolt, causing a rattling condition or one or more bearings going bad in a rotating element. Since operating the A/C effects the noise, this leads me to believe that noise is coming from a rotating element, either alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor or water pump. Since this noise has started, I have replaced the water pump (it leaked) and both the idler pulley and the pulley on the belt tensioner (both of these pulleys are identical and replacable). Replacement of these items did not have an effect on the noise. Most recently, I placed my hand on the alternator mounting bracket (on top and behind the alternator) and could feel the vibration in sync with the noise.

A big problem with a vibrating noise such as this is that it can transmit throughout the engine, making it difficult to locate just by ear. I bet that both your van and my van are suffering from the same condition. If I knew just what was causing it, I would fix it and let you know the fix. Until then, however, I will keep monitoring this condition, waiting for something to degrade enough to help me identify the problem. I just hope that whatever the problem, it doesn't strand my wife and kids on the side of the road when it eventually fails.

If anyone else out there is suffering from the noise with their van, let us know.

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
Woll1234
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Caravan 3.8 loud engine grinding rattling noise near rear oil pan happens w/ac

Yes, it sounds like the very same problem. True, it is extremely hard to identify the noise, perhaps it is resonating through the engine, but I put my ear right up to the oil pan (almost on it) when it was running and it did seem to come from right there. But who really can be sure?

And yet the car keeps running fine. The AC works perfectly. I just drove it 100 miles today with the AC on, including stop and go rush hour big city downtown traffic. No problem. Like you, I am also very, very concerned about it stranding my wife and kids somewhere in the unknowable future.

Other thoughts I've had:

--motor mount--I jacked up the engine slightly, to take what I thought would be weight off the mounting. No change.

--removed and replaced the serpentine and tensioner, no change

--felt the power steering pump, seemed ok, no change

--tightened the center bolt on the crank pulley, it was already pretty tight, no change

-went to the Toyota dealer to look at an '06 Sienna!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:07 AM   #4
earlyrizr
AF Regular

Re: 99 Caravan 3.8 loud engine grinding rattling noise near rear oil pan happens w/ac

maybe torque converter loose/damaged or likely(as was my case) flex plate cracked around the crank mounting bolts.But to see it the tranny had to be removed. And have you checked the timing chain for excessive wear?
earlyrizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Re: 99 Caravan 3.8 loud engine grinding rattling noise near rear oil pan happens w/ac on

Hey earlyrizr: Tell us about "your case" and don't spare any details. Thanks!

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible
Old 07-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #6
earlyrizr
AF Regular

As KManiac requested here's my story in detail.I woke up one day and the van that is usually very dependable started to talk back to me..you see it's my daily driver and no one else drives it,so after a while you get used to it.So when any squeak/rattle or door not closing properly or anything unusual comes, up I notice it right away.I fix it myself unless it's something to do with the tranny(too time consuming) or the big computer related stuff.

So this one particular morning I started it up as usual,runs great,start to go down the block and it starts to make this noise(you know the kind that makes you turn off the radio,fan etc..so you can hear it better)I pull over to the side of the road open the hood and can hear this noise-like rattle.I look for small rocks lodged in the frame that are bouncing around no luck.I finish my day and return home for further inspection.I check the usual stuff, belts,pullys, w.pump (w.pump makes different noise than this when faulty)rack,power steering etc..all of it I checked and all was good.

Now I start to get concerned that it might be internal like a bearing or such,but in asking around the concensus was that the engine was fine and that it might be the tranny or related components but it still shifted fine,because it would do this stationary and driving.As mentioned before it ran great and still did,except for the rattle and yes the vibration.So the only other logical place that was not yet checked was the TC and flexplate,but I did remove the inspection cover to see if it was loose,no luck.

So I pull the tranny and what i found really surprised me,the flex plate has 5 bolts in about a 4in radius in the centre but the plate is about 18in in diameter.So what happened was the constant turning of the plate was enough to completely crack all around the outside of the bolts in a octagon pattern.(remember it`s not thick metal) The octagon pattern was key in that it was still able to turn the motor over and keep the crank sensor on place,but it was able to move back and forth causing the rattle.Once the crank bolts were removed it fell into 2 pieces.I replaced it with a new one and did the crank seal aswell as the external tranny seals(it was out so I did it now,but there was no prior leaking)put it back together and no more noise and no more vibration.

Not to say that is your problem,but when all logical items have been checked there`s not that many places left to go.So you have to start thinking of the unusual.As a side note I got the new plate from a dealer(wreckers wanted more than the dealer)and the parts guy said they sell alot of them.So now I know why.I hope this has been helpfull.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the details. Sounds like your noise was louder and more persistent that what I notice with our van. Still, if this is a common problem, mine may be on it's way to what happened to you. By the way, what year and mileage is your van?

Does anyone else out there have any experience with these symptoms or this repair? Please let us know.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #8
Woll1234
AF Newbie

Intriguing, very intriguing. Yes, I bet that's it. But I do wonder why the AC cycling affects it so? Yes, the year, engine and mileage of your car would be good to know.

Now, a question, just how difficult is it for an advanced home mechanic to pull the transmission on a 3.8? '99 Grand Caravan? With no lift? With no helpers other than 7 year old twins and their 9 year old brother. Obviously I have ramps, a few jacks and hundreds of other tools. I've done it on a 240 Volvo and a Fiat Spyder in the past. I also removed and replaced the power steering rack on a '99 Volvo S70 once and did a timing belt on a '98 Audi A4 twice. I suppose enough unbolting (axles undone, connectors, linkages, subframe, engine I suppose somehow supported with a crossbar maybe and the thing pulled back and down) and it comes out. A transmission adapter for my floor jack or a dedicated transmission jack can be obtained or built. Any suggestions on this? Thank you.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #9
earlyrizr
AF Regular

99 3.0 and about 75k. For the advanced home mechanic with the twins getting you lunch and coffee and the 9yr getting needed tools it shouldn`t be to bad if you get the tranny adapter.As the AC could be any load maybe.Its not the ideal situation without lift(done both ways)lying on your back isnt great,but it can be done.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #10
speedie105
AF Newbie

Had the very same problem on my 98 GC w 3.8 motor. I replaced the tensioner pully and that did the trick. You can get it at Advance auto for around $20. Have fun though the serpentine belt is a bear. Make sure you have a buddy to help with the belt.
speedie105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #11
earlyrizr
AF Regular

one way to isolate if it's a pully,tensioner or w.pump is to briefly disconnect the serp. belt and run it for a few seconds to see if any change.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:57 PM   #12
mcooke
AF Newbie

I too have a 99 grand caravan 3.8 AWD with around 98,000 miles and am having the same problem the noise only happens at idle or when the a/c compressor kicks on,if I give more rpms it goes away. On the first start of the day its really loud but after bringing up the rpms it's fine for the rest of the day unless I turn on the a/c and then it gets extremely loud. After trying to find it I am suspecting that it is probably the belt tensioner but am not 100% sure.
mcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:40 PM   #13
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Wow, it looks like there are others with the same problem.

The first thing I am going to do is remove the serp belt, start it up and see if this effects the noise. I have a handy-dandy, 3-foot long, belt tensioner tool which makes removal and installation of the serp belt a quick, one-man job.

If the noise continues without the serp belt, I'm going to drive it up on jackstands, remove the torque converter inspection cover, have a second person in the drivers seat with the engine running, the A/C on, transmission in gear and standing on the brake pedal, while I look and listen to the torque converter and even flash a timing light on it to see if I can visually detect any adverse or irregular movement.

Next, I'm going to go talk to my transmission man. I want to see if he has found any cracked flexplates and how often. It would be worth the money to me to have him pull the transmission and inspect the plate, if only just to ease my mind. I don't even want to attempt to remove the transmission in this van myself, especially since I have an "all wheel drive" unit attached.

Speaking as a mechanical engineer, the resonant frequency of vibration of the rotating engine assembly consisting of the crankshaft, rods, pistons, flexplate, torque converter and vibration damper, is somewhere between zero rpm and idle rpm. If the flex-plate has a fatigue crack in it, it will vibrate the most at the lowest rpm of engine operation, which is cold idle, in gear, with the A/C on. This is when my van rattles the loudest.

If there is anyone else out there who wants to tell us about there experience with this problem, please add to the post.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #14
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

I want to thank all of you for bringing up this subject and sharing your thoughts. It has motivated me to get my ....hands, and start diagnosing the cause of the noise.

This morning, I removed the serp belt and started the van. The noise disappeared! So I started to check the belt driven accessories for any signs of binding, noise or looseness. Everything seemed good until I got to the power steering pump. Although the shaft and pulley spun freely, without any wobble, I noticed that I could push and pull the pulley a small, but noticible distance, in and out of the pump. I don't think these pumps were designed to have noticible end play in the pump shafts. Once I reinstalled the serp belt, the noise was back.

Later, while driving the van today, and making a U-turn at the end of a cul-de-sac, I noticed that I could get the noise to increase in volume by pushing the steering wheel against the extreme turn stop while making the turn.

I think the problem here, at least in my case, is a power steering pump that has degraded a certain extent. I am going to look at replacing this in the near future. I will let you know what happens once I do.

Old 07-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #15
speedie105
AF Newbie

After I removed the tensioner pulley I ran the bearing on my finger and it felt perfect. But as I mentioned before that was the cause of my noise problem because the noise is gone now after replacing it. You could only here the noise at a stand still with the A/C on or have the tranny in gear. Hey where do you get that handy dandy 3 foot one man belt tool from?? I really could have used it.
speedie105 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager