Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
drumr
AF Newbie

97 voyager hesitation/stalling while driving...solved I hope!!

I have a 1997 Plymouth Voyager with a 3.0 that would hesitate and/or stall out while driving for no particular reason. It didn't matter if you were going slow or fast it would just quit like turning the key off whenever it felt like it. It was a smooth shut down not jerky or anything. It has been doing it for the last year now.
I have replaced:
fuel pump
fuel filter
distributor
rotor
cap
plugs and plug wires
top oxygen sensor
auto shut down relay
fuel pump relay
ecm (computer)

None of these fixed it. So I broke down and took it to a mechanic and his wife happened to have the same van as me. He told me right off that it was a crank sensor. I didn't think the 3.0 L had a crank sensor and never thought to even check for one. The mechanic assured me that after 1996 they put crank sensors on the 3.0 L engines (he owns one). I have only driven the van for about 50 miles since the repair but it hasn't bucked, hesitated, or stalled since the repair (which it would always do by now). The mechanic was very fair in price, the whole repair with tax and part all was only $78 so I am very happy and will update if I do have any problems, but so far so good.

So if you have a 1996 or newer 3.0 L this would be something check out for sure!!

JD
drumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
drumr
AF Newbie

Re: 97 voyager hesitation/stalling while driving...solved I hope!!

UPDATE:

After about 1000 miles of driving the van is still running great, it hasn't missed the first time yet and I feel better about trusting it on longer trips now.

I thought I tore it up again, it quit on me and I couldn't get it to start back up. I called my mechanic and he towed back to the shop only to find out it was out of gas....DUH!!! When I put the new fuel pump in I must have turned it slightly so when it gets to 1/8th of a tank it is actually empty, so I will have to watch that from now on!!

JD
Old 07-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
jodiz
AF Newbie

Hello drumr, I'm going through the same exact problem with my 2.4 4Cyl Dodge Caravan.

I suspected the OS and I started doing some research this morning to locate the sensor and got to say I'm confused. Are there two oxygen sensors?

I hope this will also make the "Check Engine" light disappear...
jodiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
drumr
AF Newbie

jodiz,
There are 2 oxygen sensors on the 3.0 l which I have, I am not certain about the 2.4l, the top one on mine is on the back side of the engine compartment where the exhaust come together above the catalytic converter, the second one is on down the exhaust pipe under the van appx where the passenger seat is, if yours has 2 look under your van around where the passenger seat is to see if it has one, it is easy to see. I'm not sure if your engine has the crank sensor or not, but that was what's wrong with mine, it would be where the transmission meets the engine around the flywheel area, I had a mechanic replace it so I don't know its exact location, it also never threw a check engine code either. Since I had the crank sensor replaced it has run like a top, and I have driven alot lately, and have had no problems what so ever.
I know it is very frustrating and I most certainly hope you can get your problem solved. If I can be of any assistance I will be happy to help all that I can.

Good Luck,
JD
Old 07-20-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
cruehead2
AF Newbie

I have the same problem with my 97 voyager and am taking it to the shop tonight. I will definatley have them look at the crank sensor. Thanks.
cruehead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:30 AM   #6
drumr
AF Newbie

Good luck cruehead2!! I hope you get it fixed...I know it's a frustrating problem...let me know if I can help!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
cruehead2
AF Newbie

Ok, the mechanic said it gave hime codes for a part that is not on the van. He also said there is no crank position sensor on my van. I will have to take it back next week so they can diagnose it further. It never is easy.
cruehead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
drumr
AF Newbie

I argued with my mechanic when he told me there is a crank sensor on it and I told them that it did not have one, he assured me that it did and I watched him order the part, but not install it. It may be called something different but he said it reads the teeth on the fly wheel and he said they were a little tricky to install because they need to be very close to the fly wheel teeth with out coming in contact with the teeth which will ruin the end of the sensor, so I let him install it and I have not any problems whatsoever. So you may want to ask your mechanic to see if there is a sensor on the fly wheel and have him check it. My mechanic called it a crank sensor, but it may be called something else.

Good Luck!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager