Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
jwardl
AF Newbie

Buzzing noise from front end

One day on the way home from work, my car developed this peculiar buzzing noise. The noise increases in pitch and volume as the car goes faster, and sounds rather like the propeller noise on a turboprop airplane. The car also vibrates -- not severely, but enough to notice.

The car drives fine aside from this. I've checked the transmission fluid, and it looks ok. No sticking issues that I can feel or see via the tach. I also tried shifting into neutral while moving, and the noise wasn't affected. I do, however, get a quick (less than a second) "slip" 2-3 times a day, always while accelerating.

I've noticed that when turning RIGHT, the noise disappears during the turn, but persists at the same level when driving straight or turning left.

There are only a few other issues that *might* be related:

1) When decelerating, I can hear a ticking noise coming from the right side, somewhat like the sound of a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Haven't noticed if it's affected by turning. CV axle?
2) For a few years now, have noticed a repetitive squeak when driving. It's noticeable at slow speeds, but I'm certain it there always -- just drowned out at higher speeds. Sounds like it's from the front passenger wheel. Hub?

Just had four-wheel strut rep/alignment. No change to any of these issues. Also replaced brake pads/rotors recently.

Oh yeah: 2000 GP GTP w/sc, 146k, auto trans.

Last edited by jwardl; 06-05-2006 at 08:46 AM.
jwardl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Buzzing noise from front end

The ticking and airplane like sound is a bad hub/bearing assembly. A bad bearing will change pitch from low to higher speeds. Also, while cruising and going straight you can change the pitch and even lose the sound in certain instances when rocking the steering back and forth.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
jwardl
AF Newbie

...and that would account for the vibration too, right?
What about the squeaking?

BTW: Edited the message; the previous point#1 about the whining *was* the power steering pump. Added fluid, problem solved.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwardl
...and that would account for the vibration too, right?
What about the squeaking?

BTW: Edited the message; the previous point#1 about the whining *was* the power steering pump. Added fluid, problem solved.
The last bad bearing I had I could feel vibration but the worse part was the droning airplane sound. Gave me a headache. Is the squeaking there at all times even with the brakes applied? Is the noise all on one side or both?

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 06-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
jwardl
AF Newbie

The vibration is obvious when carrying anything that moves easily: open drinks, plants, etc. One can easily see them shaking.

The squeak is only when the car is in motion, and sounds like it's coming from the front passenger wheel. That particular sound has been around for a couple of years, and is repetitive. I can hear it with the windows down and AC off to keep the extraneous noise down. The faster I go, the faster the squeak. It stops eventually as I speed up, but as mentioned before, I think it's just that the extraneous noise overrides it -- and probably that the repetition blends into one long tone as I accelerate.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

I agree with Bnaylor, it sounds like a bad hub bearing to me.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
jwardl
AF Newbie

Replaced the left front hub bearing (where the vibration and sound seeme to be coming from) -- NADA, no change. At least now I know how to change a hub bearing. Maybe a different hub is bad, which would account for the previously mentioned squeaking/ticking (which is coming from the RIGHT side).

The vibration seems to be centered right under my feet while driving. It now grinds/growls even when turning right, albeit, less. It also is reduced momentarily when descending from the peak of a bump.

I can feel a high-frequency vibration when touching the shifter, but my impression is that the vibration is coming THROUGH the transmission rather than from it. Again, aside from the ocassional quick slips, shifting and power are fine.

Any chance this could be the CV/half-shaft or the gear that drives it?

BTW: I've since changed the transmission fluid/filter. No unusual wear noted, but no change to this condition.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Bearing noise is deceptive. It could be the opposing hub/bearing. I had a similar situation but the sound was a distinct humming noise that varied with speed. After installing the new hub (right side) the noise was still there so I installed the one I removed on the left side and the noise disappeared. I don't put much mileage on the GTP or use it for street so it was no big deal re-using my old hub.

The CV joints normally do not make a humming/buzzing sound. More like a clunk or metallic ticking sound. But they can cause vibration. I recall GM had installed some flaky axle half shafts on some 2000 - 2001 model Grand Prixs so might be worth looking into to.

The part that drives the axle half shafts is the differential located on the passenger side of the transaxle. Also, there are output bearings/bushings on each side of where the half shafts go into the tranny which could generate noise.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 08-16-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
jwardl
AF Newbie

It *was* the opposing hub/bearing. I replaced the right side unit with the old one from the left side. Not proper, perhaps -- but le$$.

Sure is nice to have that sound GONE, and with relative ease. Of course, I
cross-threaded the top caliper bolt when putting it back on and can now only turn it a few times before it stops -- but I suppose that's what tap/die kits are for

So, given my experience, I'd suggest this to anyone with this buzzing... if turning the wheel in a certain direction reduces or eliminates the noise, replace the hub/bearing on the side you turn toward.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:05 AM   #10
corning_d3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to corning_d3

Better get that caliper fixed. I had my top caliper mount bolt back out n the caliper lodged inside the rim and locked it up at freeway speed. Ruined the rim, and flat-spotted a $200 tire also. How come you didn't replace the right side first? Didn't you say that's where the noise was coming from?
Old 08-17-2006, 03:22 AM   #11
jwardl
AF Newbie

Wow...

Well, some squeaking was coming from the right side, but the droning airplane-type sound was coming from the LEFT (under my feet) -- seemingly, at least. Also, the clicking noise I could hear sounded as if it was coming from the right REAR. That all said, ALL the noise was eliminated by replacing the front right hub. I knew that would do it when rotating the hub after removing it. The newer one turned smoothly & quietly, but the one just removed did not.

Weird, huh? The most tell-tale sign I can pick-up on after the fact, is that the droning would lessen (or stop altogether, in the beginning) when I was turning or curving RIGHT.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #12
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Important thing is you got the issue resolved and can put away that bottle of aspirin. The tap and die kit sounds like a good course of action, otherwise just get another caliper mounting bracket. Probably in abundance at some boneyard since other GM "W" body cars use the same one.

Good luck!

BTW - Forgot to mention check the caliper pin bolt rubber insulator/bushing and make sure it is not causing the bolt to fully insert or thread in.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Last edited by BNaylor; 08-17-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #13
rickisrad
AF Regular

That hub bearing sound was annoying- I had the same problem. I thought it was the new tires I put on the car. I just replaced it a few days ago along with the struts and it is sooooo much quieter now. The hubs I removed (both sides) just fell apart while I was taking them out so I think they were a little worn. I used the scope to find where the noise is comming from.
rickisrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #14
rickisrad
AF Regular

That hub bearing sound was annoying- I had the same problem. I thought it was the new tires I put on the car. I just replaced it a few days ago along with the struts and it is sooooo much quieter now. The hubs I removed (both sides) just fell apart while I was taking them out so I think they were a little worn. I used the scope to find where the noise is comming from.
rickisrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #15
jwardl
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor
Important thing is you got the issue resolved and can put away that bottle of aspirin. The tap and die kit sounds like a good course of action, otherwise just get another caliper mounting bracket. Probably in abundance at some boneyard since other GM "W" body cars use the same one.

Good luck!

BTW - Forgot to mention check the caliper pin bolt rubber insulator/bushing and make sure it is not causing the bolt to fully insert or thread in.
Wasn't the caliper mounting bracket, but the caliper itself.
Can't seem to find the right size tap though... anyone know?

BTW: That bushing can be a bitch sometimes... but that's not the problem. I can't thread the bolt more than a few turns even if I hang-up the caliper from a wire, completely off the mounting bracket.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix