Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
hufhouse
AF Regular

Cool "Change Engine Oil" Light Reset Tips

I have been changing my oil lately well before the "Change Engine Oil" light comes on in my 2000 Montana. So, when it comes on, I just reset it and forget it.

Yesterday, I lost count, but I know it took me at least twelve attempts before I got the light to go out. I thought for sure that I was going to completely discharge the battery after starting it and shutting it off that many times!

I understand the drill...turn key to "Run", pump accelerator completely three times within five seconds, turn key off.

However, it seems like I'm just trying to roll for a "Yahtzee" every time. :-)

Is there some little piece of information I'm missing here? Do you have to do the whole procedure (On-pump-Off) in five seconds?

No wonder they went to something more intuitive in 2001!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
sparky65
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: "Change Engine Oil" Light Reset Tips

I know what you mean.
If you try to reset it when you actually change the oil, you have no clue whether it reset or didn't. If it comes on a thousand miles later it’s useless the next time.
If I have spare time I am going to look into building a circuit that accurately simulates the pumping in five seconds thing, but will do it by pushing a button.
Anyone know how this works, is the processor looking for the range of the gas pedal or just the end limits? Or is there other circuitry involved?

2000 Pontiac Montana Ext
2009 Ford Mustang GT
1967 Ford Mustang coupe
Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
ruiterman
AF Newbie

Re: "Change Engine Oil" Light Reset Tips

What I have found when I try to reset the Change Engine Oil light is to turn the key on, pump three time, and then WAIT about 5 or 10 seconds before turning the key off. This has made it much more successful at getting the light to turn off.

I think this may work because in order to keep this information after the van is shut off, and even if you disconnect the battery, the computer probably stores this information in "flash" memory. This can sometimes take a few seconds to erase and re-write the new data, so if you turn it off too quickly, it won't have it stored. Of course, not being a designer of the vehicle, I can only guess at how it may have been done, but it seems to have worked for me doing it this way.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:23 AM   #4
hufhouse
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiterman
What I have found when I try to reset the Change Engine Oil light is to turn the key on, pump three time, and then WAIT about 5 or 10 seconds before turning the key off. This has made it much more successful at getting the light to turn off.

I think this may work because in order to keep this information after the van is shut off, and even if you disconnect the battery, the computer probably stores this information in "flash" memory. This can sometimes take a few seconds to erase and re-write the new data, so if you turn it off too quickly, it won't have it stored. Of course, not being a designer of the vehicle, I can only guess at how it may have been done, but it seems to have worked for me doing it this way.
Y'know, that makes sense! I have been shutting it off right away after the three pumps. Next time the light comes on, I'm going to try that!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
1999montana
AF Enthusiast

Question Re: "Change Engine Oil" Light Reset Tips

I've NEVER had to reset the 'change engine oil'...In fact, it has never come on either....

I change the oil and the filter every 5,000 Kms. This usually occurs summer and winter (hey, we don't drive too far!)

What am I doing that prevents this warning light on the dash from coming on?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
hufhouse
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999montana
I've NEVER had to reset the 'change engine oil'...In fact, it has never come on either....

I change the oil and the filter every 5,000 Kms. This usually occurs summer and winter (hey, we don't drive too far!)

What am I doing that prevents this warning light on the dash from coming on?
Strange. Check your manual. Do you have the monitor light?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
1999montana
AF Enthusiast

Smile Re: "Change Engine Oil" Light Reset Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufhouse
Strange. Check your manual. Do you have the monitor light?
Do you mean is the change oil light in the group of warning lights on the dash?

Doesn't mention it in my owner's manual, so I guess that explains why I haven't had to reset it, huh?

Thanks,
Old 03-29-2007, 01:03 AM   #8
JJhammer
AF Newbie

I have tried hundreds of times to set the change oil light reminder. What works for me is that I do it slowly-not within 5 seconds (more like 8-10 seconds) and it seems to work 50 % of the time. Better than trying multiple times like I used to.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #9
ilfyrfytr
AF Newbie

I had always accepted the fact that my change light would stay on at start-up for a couple of minutes. Well today after reading this thread, I went out and was patient, did the whole key to run, pump the gas pedal routine. But today I waited about 10 to 15 seconds and wa-la, it's now out.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
rubberman
AF Regular

my 99 montana doesnt have the 'change oil' light but my grand prix does but i always put a strip of duct tape in the engine compartment and write down teh date and mileage for the next oil change just incase. on the grand prix, the oil change status starts at 100% when reset and decends down. but after calculating when it gets to about 45% that is 3000 miles so i guess its figured on 5000 mile oil change when it hits 0%?

2004 Chevy Trailblazer EXT

Keep on Keeping on...
Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
85irocon
AF Newbie

Smile Re: "Change Engine Oil" Light Reset Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilfyrfytr
I had always accepted the fact that my change light would stay on at start-up for a couple of minutes. Well today after reading this thread, I went out and was patient, did the whole key to run, pump the gas pedal routine. But today I waited about 10 to 15 seconds and wa-la, it's now out.
I know this is an old thread, But I was also patient today, (2000 Montana) and waited about 10 seconds, Shut off the key, And what do you know, The oil light is out!!

Thanks for the tips!!! Jim..........
Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Yes this is an old thread, and I'm closing it because of that fact. If you have anything new to add, feel free to start a new thread.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6