Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
dbmsband
AF Newbie

Question severe headlight condensation

My headlights stay fogged over on my 2002 Venture WB. There are even small droplets of water inside them. Dealer will not cover the repairs under my service contract. Someone suggested drilling a hole in the bottom of the lights to allow drainage, etc. How do I get the headlights out to do this? How big should holes be? Where is the best place to drill holes? Finally, does this really work or should I just replace? I had a Buick Regal '95 - taillights did same thing. Drilled holes, and it did help, but didn't solve. What's with the GM lights?
dbmsband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

Re: severe headlight condensation

Welcome to the club Bro' because our Y2K is the same. Open the hood and look at the inside of the lights and you don't have to take them out to drill holes in the side. I drilled 5/8" hole at the top and bottom side and the moisture went away but I still have that somewhat frosted looking stuff outside. I worked on it with rubbing compound and it helped, but they still look nasty. New headlight assembiles run $80. each and if I did much night driving I'd get new ones.

"What's with the GM lights?" Darn if I know but I had a 96 Mustang that did the same thing.
Huney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
3mikeman
AF Newbie

The same thing happened to me after replacing the the bulb. I guess GM has put nitrogen into the headlight housing. So i took my bulb back out dried the lens out fill it up with some nitrogen and they been okay so far it's been about 3 weeks or so and no moisture yet. I had a post under 2002 headlight assembly and someone there said that it's does say GM puts nitrogen in the housing per the manual.
3mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
gonzojoey
AF Newbie

Found this TSB about the headlight issues:

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: NHTSA Bulletin Number: 200202

MFG Bulletin Date: 20020220

Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS

Details: CUSTOMERS MAY EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH LEAKING HEADLAMPS OR LENSES FALLING OFF. *TT

Does this mean that the Chevy Dealer would repair my headlights for free? Both of the lens covers have come off (I'm not too familiar w/ how TSB's work)
gonzojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzojoey
Does this mean that the Chevy Dealer would repair my headlights for free? Both of the lens covers have come off (I'm not too familiar w/ how TSB's work)
No. TSB's basically are just a information release that goes to dealers telling them about frequent problems, revised specs, etc. There are some TSBs that may be covered under a warranty, recall, etc, but just because GM admits that there is a problem or issues a TSB doesn't mean they will always foot the bill.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
JJ Newel
AF Newbie

I got a question how did you get nitrogen into the headlight assembly and where did you buy the nitrogen from?????
JJ Newel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
3mikeman
AF Newbie

Well i know a friend that works at a welding supply store and was able to get a small bottle of it and a regulator fitted with an air hose and blowgun. Then just get as much condensation out with a hairdryer and just blow some nitrogen in at a low pressure(10psi or so) with the lens sidedown for about 10-15 seconds then replace the bulb.
3mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
woscarr
AF Regular

"I guess GM has put nitrogen into the headlight housing."

I had the same problem with mine and fixed them back in December and so far still nice a nd dry on the inside.

Here's what I did...

I took the headlights off the van (easy... 2 wingnuts/light under the hood), and brought them inside.

I gave them a good wash inside and out and then a good rinse, towel and air dried.

Now I prepped the seal going around the light, where the front lens attaches to the rear reflector.

I lightly sanded and removed any loose pieces of the old sealant and wiped clean.

I purchased and applied 'Automotive Goop' in a thin layer, waited a hour and applied a second layer then allowed it to dry 24hrs.

Automotive Goop = Contact Adhesive & Sealant... dries clear.

So far working like a charm... 5 months and counting.

Here something I have noticed that makes me wonder if drilling a hole is a good idea... Keeping in mind, I had initially had planned to drill holes in mine but ended up going with the sealant.

About two weeks ago I had to change one of the front turn signal/orange running light bulbs... No problem. As they come in pairs at the store I changed both.

As I was putting the driver side one back in I broke the little tabs on the light bulb socket It goes back in but it don't lock in very tight anymore. edit; meaning the locking tabs that allow it to lock onto the housing and with the compression gasket on the socket creating a air tight seal... That don't work no more, now the socket just kinda sits their not really being held by anything.

I know. I know. I gotta get a new one, Canadian Tire don't have them... It's a dealer part !!!

Well I just noticed today the inside of that light fixture is very saturated with moisture... SAUNA is a better way to describe it ! Pretty bad.

Just my HO
Wayne

Last edited by woscarr; 04-30-2006 at 09:11 AM.
woscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:54 AM   #9
Disturbed_One
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Disturbed_One

not from condensation, but a while back I had a lightbulb explode, and had to replace it

I washed the lens off on the inside, and blew it dry (with a hair dryer) and then did it again, only with alcohol

but, the lens is still all foggy

any way to get it even semi clear again...I mean light still goes through it and everything, its just really foggy
1999 Chevy Venture, 3.4L V6 - 4spd Auto
1996 Dodge Stratus, 2.4L I4 - 4spd Auto
1979 Chevy Monza, 5.8L V8 - 3spd Auto
Disturbed_One is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture