Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
LELeach
AF Newbie

Question LELeach

I recently purchased a 1999 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder automatic. The mileage is 97,000 miles. When I put the transmission in Drive there is a long hesitation before it shifts into gear. If I start to accelerate as soon as I put the car in drive it klunks into first gear very hard. If I do not come to a complete stop but get almost stopped and then proceed, the transmission klunks into gear very hard. If I stop completely and remain stopped for ten seconds or so I can feel the transmission shift smoothly into 1st gear then it operates just fine until the next stop or shift down into 1st gear.

I took the car to a Honda dealer who suggested the transmission was overdue for a fluid and filter change by about 10,000 miles. He changed the fluid and showed me some very fine metallic residue in the bottom of the transmission pan. He said it did not look like a serious amount and the fluid was pretty clear and did not smell burned. He replaced the fluid and filter or screen and advised me to change the fluid again in 3,000 to 5,000 miles. The problem still existed after this fluid change but it was not as bad as before.

I just took it to another Honda dealer for an oil change after 3800 miles since the last oil change and the transmission fluid change. I told the technician about the rough 1st gear problem. When the car was on the lift for the change he noticed that either an axle or the output shaft from the transmission was loose or wobbly. He was in a bit of a hurry with another customer when I spoke with him and I did not really understand exactly which component he was describing as loose or wobbly. He also said I would be needing a transmission soon.

I drive the car daily and if I drive normally and wait for the transmission to shift into 1st gear after a stop there would be absolutely no indication of any problem. Should I replace the transmission or should I keep it serviced and wait for it to fail or not fail? Any input I can get will be much appreciated.
LELeach is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion