Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
Jenn641
AF Newbie

Red face 1999 Cavalier Convertible - HELP!!!

Hello all. I'm new to the forum, and could really use some help. A while back the first and second levels on my heat/blower controller stopped working. Didn't really bother me because it was summertime, and I'd just put the top down anyways. Well, my third setting just quit working on me about a month ago, and driving around blasting my heat with my window half down is getting annoying. Plus, I'm about to sell my car and need to get this fixed. I took it to a local mechanic this past weekend, and they told me it was the switch and that it is booked as a 6-hr job (at $80/hr labor!) Well, I don't really want to put $500+ into my car just to sell it, plus, I'm sure my dad and I could get this done. But, I've read some forums and I'm not sure if it's my SWITCH or the RESISTOR that is broke. Also, I'm not sure how I'd go about getting my dashboard off to fix this. The mechanics made it sound complicated, but I have a feeling it's not half as bad...Can anyone help? Please!!!!!!!!!!!
Jenn641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Erab81
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 Cavalier Convertible - HELP!!!

if your blower will only work on high its probabally your blower motor resistor, sounds complicated but its fairly cheap (around $20) and its usually 2 screws and a plug, if its anything like my girlfriends 2000 its under the dash on the pass side, 1 screw was hard to get too but it fixxed my problem, hope this helps!
Erab81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:52 AM   #3
muff34
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn641
Hello all. I'm new to the forum, and could really use some help. A while back the first and second levels on my heat/blower controller stopped working. Didn't really bother me because it was summertime, and I'd just put the top down anyways. Well, my third setting just quit working on me about a month ago, and driving around blasting my heat with my window half down is getting annoying. Plus, I'm about to sell my car and need to get this fixed. I took it to a local mechanic this past weekend, and they told me it was the switch and that it is booked as a 6-hr job (at $80/hr labor!) Well, I don't really want to put $500+ into my car just to sell it, plus, I'm sure my dad and I could get this done. But, I've read some forums and I'm not sure if it's my SWITCH or the RESISTOR that is broke. Also, I'm not sure how I'd go about getting my dashboard off to fix this. The mechanics made it sound complicated, but I have a feeling it's not half as bad...Can anyone help? Please!!!!!!!!!!!
I second the motion from Erab81. Check here Pasenger side up in behind glove box and behind blower motor . I spent more time looking for tools than doing the repair . Exactly same symptoms as you have. Good luck and oh ya when you get it done take the old BLOWER RESISTOR back to the crook toss it in his lap and tell him that YOU did it yourself in half an hour.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Jenn641
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 1999 Cavalier Convertible - HELP!!!

Thanks everyone! I knew it could be done at home! Since I now have it nailed down to being a RESISTOR problem, could someone help me find instructions on how to get to that part (behind the glove box)? I can forsee myself crying with a cracked dashboard in my lap if I don't use the proper steps! hehe. Thanks!!!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
Erab81
AF Newbie

you dont have to pull any dash pieces off just get on your knees outside the pass side of the car and look under the pass dash, you will see some wires with an electrical connector that has 2 screws holding it in, take the screws out and unplug, you will need a 1/4 drive socket set with a swival head, kinda tricky but worth saving $800 for a little frustration and time
Erab81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:39 AM   #6
muff34
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn641
Thanks everyone! I knew it could be done at home! Since I now have it nailed down to being a RESISTOR problem, could someone help me find instructions on how to get to that part (behind the glove box)? I can forsee myself crying with a cracked dashboard in my lap if I don't use the proper steps! hehe. Thanks!!!!!
Here`s a thought go and buy the blower motor resistor before you start, then you will see what it looks like from the plug side then go look up under dash right side it will be behind blower motor which is behind the glove box. One other thing I dropped the blower motor down out of the way to make things easier for me......... 3 screws no big deal. This job is really no big deal if you know where you are looking.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #7
Jenn641
AF Newbie

Thanks for all the insight everyone! You've all been sooooo helpful - and saved me a fortune!!!!! I'm going to attempt to fix it this weekend (after I get back from the Cleveland Auto Show, of course, lol) and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis