Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
usa1mac
AF Newbie

Disable TCC on a 4L60 tranny...

I have a 2000 S10 4x4 extended cab. The torque converter clutch (TCC) is slipping and engages and disengages when at a steady speed. Fixing the problem is expensive and the transmission is otherwise fine, so I would like to just disable the TCC altogether. I don't care about the fuel economy impact.

I know from searching the net that this can be done, but instructions are sketchy. I'm looking for some help on the simplist way to get this accomplished. Does anyone know any technical resources with instructions on how to do this?

Thanks much in advance.

Mark
usa1mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Disable TCC on a 4L60 tranny...

Remember if yo do this the trans fluid will overheat which may eventually damage the trans, you need a wiring diagram to find the tcc solenoid grounding wire back to the pcm and cut it, this is still not recommended. Are you sure the convertor is the problem, an engine misfire under load in lock up can fool you.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
usa1mac
AF Newbie

Thank you for the warning. I understand I need to cut the ground wire, but I do not know which wire this is or where to go to get this information. My shop manual does not have any detail on this.

Also, I've read that the PCM needs to see a resistance from the solenoid or a check engine light will come on. Does anyone have details on the resistance needed?

Mark
Old 02-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

You will have CEL no matter what you do, the pcm wants to see a certain rpm for the speed, load and it won't. Alldata.com has all the wiring diagrams, 24.95 per vehicle per year.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
Joe Wilson
AF Regular

I had an Oldsmobile which we disabled the TCC for a short amount of time: I just cut the two wires going to the bell housing. Tape the ends so they won't short out. I think I would fix the problem though. Joe
Joe Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
3quarterdone
AF Newbie

I am having the same problem on my 2000 S10. After TC lock up is made it slips back out and then right back in to lock up, over and over. Mine does this in 3rd or over drive but only at certain speeds. As soon as I hit 58 MPH in OD the converter stays locked in. The problem is, most roads I drive on are 45-55 MPH and I'm afraid all this slipping in and out will overheat my tranny, not to mension the drop in fuel mileage. The fact that it stays locked at higher speeds tells me that the clutch is working, but maybe getting faulty info from the speed sencer. I think there are 2 seperate sencers, a in-speed/out speed and a speed sencer for the odometer? It may even be the lock in selonoid for the TCC is weak? I'm just guessing. If anyone knows more about this problem, I too could use the advise? Thanks
3quarterdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
usa1mac
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3quarterdone
I am having the same problem on my 2000 S10. After TC lock up is made it slips back out and then right back in to lock up, over and over. Mine does this in 3rd or over drive but only at certain speeds. As soon as I hit 58 MPH in OD the converter stays locked in. The problem is, most roads I drive on are 45-55 MPH and I'm afraid all this slipping in and out will overheat my tranny, not to mension the drop in fuel mileage. The fact that it stays locked at higher speeds tells me that the clutch is working, but maybe getting faulty info from the speed sencer. I think there are 2 seperate sencers, a in-speed/out speed and a speed sencer for the odometer? It may even be the lock in selonoid for the TCC is weak? I'm just guessing. If anyone knows more about this problem, I too could use the advise? Thanks
Sounds like we have the same problem. I will test the high speed symptom you described. It would be nice to fix the problem and not disable the TCC.

Mark
Old 02-11-2006, 01:41 AM   #8
dmbrisket 51
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to dmbrisket 51

read his post, i explained why in his, but look at engin temp, it could be the t stat, and absolutly nothing to do with the transmission, if you dont fix it and do it your way, you will be buying a tranny and a junk yard wants ATLEAST 6 bills for a decent, so so on miles E tranny (we have 4l60e's in anything from 93 plus i beleve)
dmbrisket 51 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10