Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
osu1fan2002
AF Newbie

Rough start up in cold temp

I have a 96 Villager and in cold weather(30-40 degrees) is studders a little bit then eventually gets going. Is there anything easy solution to this problem. Thank you in advance.
osu1fan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
eltigre
AF Newbie

Re: Rough start up in cold temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1fan2002
I have a 96 Villager and in cold weather(30-40 degrees) is studders a little bit then eventually gets going. Is there anything easy solution to this problem. Thank you in advance.
If you're truly having a COLD start problem where it is hard to start ONLY when COLD and gets better when WARM then I would look toward the CHT (Cylinder Head Temperature ) sensor....Check its resistance when engine is Cold compare that with standard value (check Haynes manual)...I believe it's like 2.? KOhms or something
eltigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
IH8SPM
AF Regular

It sounds like the same problem alot of people are having. I have this problem as well and have narrowed it down to the IAC valve. This valve is responsible for detecting coolant temperature in the engine and then opening and close it self depending on the reading and determine the correct idle speed for warm up. It works together with TPS sensor and the engine managment computer. I replace mine last year with a EBAY bought one from a parted out van. It solved the problem but then it crapped out as well. I have tested it with another one from a family members van and it solved the problem again. I am getting another from a junk yard that is offering me 1 year exchange if it fails for about 50us. This is a very expensive part if I remember correctly $580 dollars and its called by the dealer "Air management valve. Well thats my input.

Last edited by IH8SPM; 01-16-2006 at 09:30 AM.
IH8SPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
IH8SPM
AF Regular

Old 02-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
IH8SPM
AF Regular

Update:
I still have the problem. I also changed the air flow meter and nothing. I sid notice that if you turn the key to open and wait a few seconds and remove it the fuel pump will start again and with the extra fuel it starts better. I think I may have water in my tank or moisture and I don't think its the fuel pump. I am going to my mechanic for brakes and I will have him change the brakes and the fuel filter to see if there is a diffrence. I am going to use OEM fuel filter to see if it helps the cause. If not spring is a short time away and I don;t really use the van on a daily but more of a spare car and a family outing vehicle for conveinience. Keep ya posted.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

When you removed the IACValve was the gasket damaged. I have tried Napa and other parts stores without any luck finding the gasket, Mercury dealer needs to order for the Price of approx $10.00. Any other suggestions where to get a gasket?? I don't want to remove and clean before I can get the gasket. Thanks in Advance.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
IH8SPM
AF Regular

Mine was in perfect condition both the original and the used replacement. I would have ordered it. Its a small price for a sure fit. If you don't have it you may cost yourself time and effort.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
IH8SPM
AF Regular

Finally! I solved the problem. All I had to do was sell it and get a 2001 sport problem gone. Good luck everyone else.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager