Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
robk2
AF Newbie

Angry 93 TC Intermittent No Crank/Start

Hey guys, I'm new here trying to find a resolution for my grandfather. He has a pristine 93 Town Car with about 50k miles. It's an absolute creampuff always garaged and serviced by the local LM dealer. He's had an intermittent but recurring problem with no start. All electronics seem to be OK, battery charge is good, but no action from a turn of the key. He's been stranded several times with 3 tows to the dealer. Every single time, the dealer hops in and it starts. They can't find the problem. They've bench tested the starter and it's perfectly fine. I think they even swapped in a new one on the second visit. The problem is their inability to duplicate the problem. I've checked the archives and a couple other sites with little success. I'm thinking it's something to do with the anti-theft, but I'm not very familiar with Lincoln's system. My expertise is with older BMWs. Any and all help appreciated!
robk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Loekee75
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Loekee75
Re: 93 TC Intermittent No Start

My uncle's 95' Town Car had a no-start problem just like what you mentioned, and it turned out to be the ignition control module going out. You might see if that dealership mechanic tested this module/ ignition coil.
You did mention the security system, however when this same type of system went out in my Buick, the problem completely disabled the car from starting at all until I had the steering column module replaced. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, since the symptoms may be different in a Lincoln, but I thought this might help. Good luck!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653398
1992 Buick Park Avenue (Daily driver)
2001 Saturn SL1 (gas saver)
Loekee75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
robk2
AF Newbie

I forgot to clarify that it actually doesn't even crank. It's not an issue with spark or fuel. You turn the key and get a bunch of nothing. It doesn't even energize the solenoid.
robk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
junk yard doggie
AF Enthusiast

Hello Does gramps have an aftermarket kill switch on the car. The kill switch might be causing this problem. It also could have something to do with the neutral safety switch located inside the st column. This is hard to get to with out taking all the plastic houseing off the column, there is no way the dealership would want to check that thoroughly. Just something to think about. The next time it does that, tell him to play with the shifter. Pull it up hard in to the park position as far as it will go, or try to start it around the neutral position.

Thanks Mike
junk yard doggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #5
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Re: 93 TC Intermittent No Crank/Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk2
Hey guys, I'm new here trying to find a resolution for my grandfather. He has a pristine 93 Town Car with about 50k miles. It's an absolute creampuff always garaged and serviced by the local LM dealer. He's had an intermittent but recurring problem with no start. All electronics seem to be OK, battery charge is good, but no action from a turn of the key. He's been stranded several times with 3 tows to the dealer. Every single time, the dealer hops in and it starts. They can't find the problem. They've bench tested the starter and it's perfectly fine. I think they even swapped in a new one on the second visit. The problem is their inability to duplicate the problem. I've checked the archives and a couple other sites with little success. I'm thinking it's something to do with the anti-theft, but I'm not very familiar with Lincoln's system. My expertise is with older BMWs. Any and all help appreciated!
had the same problem with my 93 crown vic (same set up as town car). the starter solinoid was bad. only like a $10 part at your local auto parts store. it is located on the passenger side fender wall and looks like a small cylinder with two wires connected to it and the wires and held in with a nut and washer. couldn't hurt to try that path first since the part is so cheap. the symtoms you have mentioned sound identical to what happened to my crown vic. it would start right up sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't with no crank at all, until it finally wouldn't start at all, resulting in a no-crank situation all the time.
sreilly77 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car