Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
MrMook
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MrMook
Can't open rear door

I'm stumped.
The driver side rear door on my 95 Rodeo won't open. The inner and outer handles dont work, and it doesnt feel like they are connected to anything within the door.
I know that if i can get into the door panel, i could re-connect the rods in there to get the handles to work, but i cant figure out how i'm going to open the door in the first place to work on it.
Any ideas on how to open a door without using the handles?

-MrMook
MrMook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
hshawn31
AF Regular

Re: Can't open rear door

funny thing...my '95 rodeo does the same thing. This is cause by the locking mechanism in the door itself to stick, most likely from rust. You can get to it but its a pain in the butt. You have to take off the molding around the door, then lift out the window molding, then carefully pull off the interior door panel...carefully or you will tear or bend it. The mechanism is kinda hard to get to but spray alot of WD 40 or somehting like that and just work the release. It'll eventually open. If and when you get it open my advise is to grease it good or replace the whole thing...it will do it again. I have to redo mine after a week. Good luck
hshawn31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
anthonyn
AF Regular

I have a 95.5 and have had the same stuck rear door problem. Turns out, the rod mechanisms inside the door are designed very cheesy. The plastic guides that the rods move within tend to pop out of its place and all hell breaks loose inside.

You can remove the door panel without opening the door. The lower part of the door panel has 3 screws that are hidden behind some plastic tabs. You pop off the tabs to expose the screws. Two of the tabs are along the bottom of the door. If you fold up the rear seat, it will be easier to access. The upper part of the door panel is held on by screws in the door handle and the armrest. Once you get the screws off, you can gently bend the panel to ease it off. Chances are you can reattach the loose mechanisms and get it to work again without much effort.
anthonyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Canucklehead
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Canucklehead

I wonder why it seems to be the driver's side that has this problem. I know Isuzu redesigned some part (latch pivot or something like that) to fix this but unfortunately you can't get this part anymore.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
hshawn31
AF Regular

Mine was actually the passenger rear door, not the drivers side.
hshawn31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

my 92 rodeo had the same problem with the doors before I owned it luckily, and my friend with a 96 passport has had the same problem, must be very common with these. Also I know there is common problems with the locks breaking on these too, none of mine work.
94twacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
billindelicato
AF Regular

i have a 97 rodeo with the exact same problem...ON BOTH DOORS!!! My question would be how do i get the door to open to fix this?
billindelicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:40 AM   #8
9-rodeo-6
AF Newbie

I've got a 96 Rodeo and the DS RR door was stuck as well. You CAN remove the inner panel w/o opening the door. I did so, and SOAKED the latch and lock mechanisms with PB Blaster, worked the handles for a few, and the door finally popped open. Upon further inspection, I discovered that the lock rod pivot (a little white plastic part mounted in the door panel directly under the lock button) had broken, rendering the electric lock and the lock button useless. I went to the boneyard to get a replacement, but the jackass would not part out a door . But I did get a new (used) 4wd shift knob for 5 bucks (previous owner of my rig had a dog who saw the original as a chew toy). I went to a Honda dealer (lack of ISUZU dealers in my area) to get the part, it only comes with the entire lock rod. Fortunately it is only about 10 bucks. I should get it sometime next week.

2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.7 L V8
4x4, Auto Trans.
Rochester, MI
9-rodeo-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #9
directory
AF Enthusiast

yeah, there where a few TSB's issued for the locks on the doors. the issue is, in most, that white plastic thingy explained above. i believe the replacement was a piece of metal.

SKYWARN

we be clubbin'

--B
directory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
redbug
AF Newbie

My passenger door just locked shut... I believe it is the passenger door because it probably get the most use out of the rear doors. Think about it, when you have a box, or clothes, or whatever, you put them in the back seat, and open up the drivers side rear door...

I had trouble with my electric locks, they had to be greased up. Also had to redo my drivers side window transmission, boy, what a job. Remember that the transmission and cables go in and out as a unit.
redbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #11
Canucklehead
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Canucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbug
... I believe it is the passenger door because it probably get the most use out of the rear doors. Think about it, when you have a box, or clothes, or whatever, you put them in the back seat, and open up the drivers side rear door...

Old 02-26-2006, 09:29 PM   #12
9-rodeo-6
AF Newbie

Well, I got the lock rod pivot and installed it. I also made sure to SOAK the latch and lock mechanisms with white lithium grease before buttoning it up. White grease is unaffected by water so I hope I won't have to tear it apart again. BTW, The part was $30, not $10 like he told me, so he gave me 25% off (their screw up). Anyway, she works like new.

2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.7 L V8
4x4, Auto Trans.
Rochester, MI
9-rodeo-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
ronhl80
AF Newbie

Is it power locks or manual locks or both that are having this problem?
ronhl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
driverodeo
AF Newbie

Same problem on my 95 rear passenger door. gonna try to remove the panel tomorrow to get to the latch. I'm worried I will break it. I will post a follow up with the results.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU