Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
ejb22
AF Newbie

airbag codes, and clearing them

How do I pull airbag codes,where can I get a list of the codes,and how do I clear them? Thanks, in advance - Ed
ejb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:04 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: airbag codes, and clearing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb22
How do I pull airbag codes,where can I get a list of the codes,and how do I clear them? Thanks, in advance - Ed
What is the model and year of your car. I assume since you posted in the Taurus Forum you have a Taurus, but that's not always a safe assumption.

If you have a OBD-I system in your car (older than 1996) the airbag light in the instrument panel probably flashes the code out. If you post the code and model year of your car, I can look the code definition up for you. If you have an OBD-II system (1996 and newer) you will need a professional-quality scan tool. I use an OTC Genisys (same as Mac Mentor), and I believe the Snap-On tool can read the airbag codes as well. You may need to find a shop that can read the codes, and the dealer can as well. Any of these professional scan tools should be able to clear the codes as well.

If you also post the area you're from, some people may post specific shops in the area they've had read airbag codes for them at a reasonable rate.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #3
santifirme
AF Newbie

Re: Re: airbag codes, and clearing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod
What is the model and year of your car. I assume since you posted in the Taurus Forum you have a Taurus, but that's not always a safe assumption.

If you have a OBD-I system in your car (older than 1996) the airbag light in the instrument panel probably flashes the code out. If you post the code and model year of your car, I can look the code definition up for you. If you have an OBD-II system (1996 and newer) you will need a professional-quality scan tool. I use an OTC Genisys (same as Mac Mentor), and I believe the Snap-On tool can read the airbag codes as well. You may need to find a shop that can read the codes, and the dealer can as well. Any of these professional scan tools should be able to clear the codes as well.

If you also post the area you're from, some people may post specific shops in the area they've had read airbag codes for them at a reasonable rate.

-Rod
What does airbag code 51 mean of a 95 ford taurus?
santifirme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
ejb22
AF Newbie

Re: airbag codes, and clearing them

It is a 2003 Taurus
ejb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Re: airbag codes, and clearing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb22
It is a 2003 Taurus
On the 2003 Taurus, you need to read the airbag codes using a professional OBD-II scan tool with software specific for the manufacturer and model year.

-Rod
Old 12-11-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Re: Re: airbag codes, and clearing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by santifirme
What does airbag code 51 mean of a 95 ford taurus?
Paraphrased from OTC Repair Trac database:

Airbag code 51, SIR SDM Internal Thermal Fuse

This code will be set by the air bag monitor if it senses that one of the air bag deployment circuits has been shorted to ground. When the monitor sees the short to ground, it will blow its own internal thermal fuse which prevents uncommanded airbag deployment. It should be noted that the fuse does not blow from excessive current flow. To repair the system a new monitor will need to be installed. It is important that the short, which is likely intermittent, be repaired prior to replacement of the monitor. If the monitor sees an existing short on a deployment circuit, it will flash out a code 13 on the Airbag light so code 51 always indicates an intermittent short to ground. Inspect the wiring between the monitor, sensors, clockspring, and air bags for any potential short such as from bent sheet metal or harness bends around sharp metal corners. It is also possible that during an air bag deployment an internal circuit of the air bag module could have shorted on its own metal housing causing the monitor to blow its fuse. Once all harness checks have been made and any potential short to grounds have been repaired, replace the air bag monitor.

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon