Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

LS1 turbo/supercharger kits

I am looking to build an low 11 second street racer that I won't have to rebuild every other weekend, at first I was really only looking at some of the greats from japan (300zx, supra, Rx7,3000GTvr4) but someone sugested that I look into the LS1 camaros supposedly they hold up well under tweeking. Since I am not dumb enough to try to make a 5.7L V8 redline at 9000RPM (without hefty modifacation) I figure that I need some boost to attain the speed I seek. What are the best supercharger/turbocharger kits for the LS1, and what is the limit of boost the LS1 will hold up to assuming I am using raceing grade fuel and or water injection. And in a realted subject how much rwhp can the camaros stock driveline hold up to?
kachok25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Mr. Luos
Firebird Guy

Re: LS1 turbo/supercharger kits

ProCharger. Completely stock other than the boost.....475 RWHP. Sometimes more. Pump gas.

Driveline....depends on the hell you put it through. Rear will be the first to crap out. You can break the rear when you are completely stock. Just toss on slicks.

For 11's....you don't even need boost. Cam, bolt-ons, stall, DR's, and the right suspension should net you a solid 11 second trip.
Harder to do with the manual though. It is harder on the driveline.
1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747
Stock'ish'
Mr. Luos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
1986Z28
Has a Camaro

Send a message via MSN to 1986Z28

yeah manual can spit out alotta parts

1986 Z28, 400ci SBC, Twin borg warner billet S467 turbos, Reid case powerglide, Moser 9". Holley EFI, Boost Leash. 950RWHP on pump gas, 1200rwhp on race gas (22 psi)

Best ET 1/4: 8.35 @ 170mph (275 drag radial)
Best ET 1/8: 5.44 @ 132mph (275 drag radial)
Best 60': 1.31 on the back tires (275 drag radial)

AF User Rules/Guidelines

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html
1986Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
Savage Messiah
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Savage Messiah Send a message via Yahoo to Savage Messiah

194k miles-160* thermo-V8 shocks/springs (V6 rear springs)-3" Magnaflow !cat (3" dynomax bullet) back-SLP CAI-stock boxed LCAs-poly tranny mount and torque arm bushing-custom HPTuners tuning-4.10s/eaton/TA girdle-3.5" alum DS-spohn LCA brackets-prostar skinnies

179.75 RWHP, 204.52 RWTQ

ON ITS WAY: MORE

R.I.P. Andy

87 Benz 190e - DD

01 EX250 - still gotta get my license for this thing
Savage Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

what kind on driveline mods would would I have to do to get it to reliably hold up to low 11 (and possably 10s). what is this bolt on cam kit that will push a camaro into the low 11s that would have to give the ls1 another 200hp that is one hell of a cam kit. what kind of boost is the procharger pushing out.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:39 PM   #6
Mr. Luos
Firebird Guy

Stock mine made 310 RWHP.
After cam and bolt-ons it made 376.8 RWHP. Tune it, and see damn near 400 RWHP. I had the stock throttle body, stock pulley, and stock tune for that pull.
That would have been enough to run low 12's on semi-decent traction.

You would need a rear-end for sure. And slicks. Good weight reduction and weight transfer would be important.
You don't need 200 extra HP to run 11's with an LS1 F-Body. You need about 400 RWHP...which is roughly 90 over stock. Then you need suspension and driveline work. There are stock headed stock cubed cars running in the 10's N/A.

ProCharger on a stock LS1....safe at 7-8 PSI. No more though.
Stock'ish'
Old 12-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #7
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: LS1 turbo/supercharger kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
Stock mine made 310 RWHP.
After cam and bolt-ons it made 376.8 RWHP. Tune it, and see damn near 400 RWHP. I had the stock throttle body, stock pulley, and stock tune for that pull.
That would have been enough to run low 12's on semi-decent traction.

You would need a rear-end for sure. And slicks. Good weight reduction and weight transfer would be important.
You don't need 200 extra HP to run 11's with an LS1 F-Body. You need about 400 RWHP...which is roughly 90 over stock. Then you need suspension and driveline work. There are stock headed stock cubed cars running in the 10's N/A.

ProCharger on a stock LS1....safe at 7-8 PSI. No more though.

what kind of drive line work would I need to do to make it survive 10 second 1/4 miles is a 14 bolt with a turbo400 an overkill or not enough
could I run the hot cam kit with the supercharger? I am not worried about emmisions tests in Mississippi. Is 7-8psi the most the block can handle or the internals
Old 12-03-2005, 09:40 AM   #8
Mr. Luos
Firebird Guy

7-8 PSI is safe on the internals. The compression of the LS1 is at 10.1:1 and that is the reason you can't run much boost. You can lower that by getting some LQ9 heads ($300) and then you can up the boost.
Stock automatic with some minor work done should be able to make some 10 second passes.
12 bolt would be fine for a 10 second pass.
Subframe connectors are a MUST for even a stock car.
Driveshaft will probably be a good mod as well.
Yes, you can run the hotcam with a supercharger. But once you start seeing close to 550 RWHP you will have to consider upgrading your internals. I know a guy with bolt-ons, good sized cam, and 5 PSI from a ProCharger making over 500 RWHP. Runs in the 11's here at 5800 feet.
Stock'ish'
Old 12-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
7-8 PSI is safe on the internals. The compression of the LS1 is at 10.1:1 and that is the reason you can't run much boost. You can lower that by getting some LQ9 heads ($300) and then you can up the boost.
Stock automatic with some minor work done should be able to make some 10 second passes.
12 bolt would be fine for a 10 second pass.
Subframe connectors are a MUST for even a stock car.
Driveshaft will probably be a good mod as well.
Yes, you can run the hotcam with a supercharger. But once you start seeing close to 550 RWHP you will have to consider upgrading your internals. I know a guy with bolt-ons, good sized cam, and 5 PSI from a ProCharger making over 500 RWHP. Runs in the 11's here at 5800 feet.
I know I can get beefed up internals but what is the engine block capable of handeling I doubt it can handle 2+ bar (30+psi) of boost like the 2JZ or the RB26, but I figure that the additional displacement could make up for that. Plus I would not have to order exotic parts from Japan. Poor ricers will never see it comeing and hand hardly see it leaving! I know I have seen some high boost small blocks but they were all iron and if memory servers all LS1 are alluminum, and I have never seen sleaves for them.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #10
Mr. Luos
Firebird Guy

There are sleeves for them.
The LS1 block has been taken to 700+ RWHP.
Stock'ish'
Old 12-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #11
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
There are sleeves for them.
The LS1 block has been taken to 700+ RWHP.
Cool where can I get them and how much would it cost to install a set. that would be what about 1.5 bar of boost or was that mostly cam.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #12
Mr. Luos
Firebird Guy

I think we might be talking about different sleeves.
Cylinder sleeves right??

I have no idea about using bar to measure boost.

Darton makes the sleeves. Just about any LS1 shop can get them. LS1tech.com....check the sponsors.
They are not cheap.
Stock'ish'
Old 12-03-2005, 03:35 PM   #13
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I think we might be talking about different sleeves.
Cylinder sleeves right??

I have no idea about using bar to measure boost.

Darton makes the sleeves. Just about any LS1 shop can get them. LS1tech.com....check the sponsors.
They are not cheap.
No I am talking about cylinder sleeves, what other kind is there (other than short sleeves and long sleeves LOL) One Bar (barametric pressure) is 14.7 psi that is the way the rest of the known world messures pressure. If I could push 700rwhp I would be a match for all but the baddest Supras and Skylines on the street. The fastest street legal car in America and possably in the world is a 8.5 second supra pushing around 1200hp sounds great but there is no way I could invest 80k+inan engine and 30k on a used car on my income. I'll settle with thrashing99.9%of them.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #14
Mr. Luos
Firebird Guy

I have never researched sleeving the LS1.
Like mentioned before...might try LS1tech.com.
Stock'ish'
Old 12-03-2005, 06:23 PM   #15
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I have never researched sleeving the LS1.
Like mentioned before...might try LS1tech.com.
Thanks for the info, but I hate that site it won't let me do anything it keeps saying that I am underqualified every time I try to do anything, I guess that is to keep all the newbis from asking the same stupid questions over and over again. I really like the LS1 swap into that 240sx I have been thinking about doing that swap for the past six months but I did not know how it would effect the handeling, I wanted to ask him if he kept the stock diff but yet again I was Underqulified to ask anything. that is cool though a lightweight 2700lbs car with perfect weight ballence (ok 12 lbs heavy in the front but that is negligable) a high powers LS1 and an IRS sounds like a good chevy concept car to me! What's the phone number to GMs engineering department! LOL I'd buy one

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions