Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
JCL82
AF Regular

How much you think it would cost to repaint my truck ?

I have a 2-tone color ,black and grey on the bottle.I was thinking I wanted all blue(sometype of blue) or all black.So how much you think they would charge ?
JCL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: How much you think it would cost to repaint my truck ?

Any paint or clear coat peeling ,any rust, x cab?
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlenderWizard

the shop across the street from me would prolly charge ~$5,000, but their paint jobs are-factory quality. They don't tape anything off... if it doesn't get painted and it's in the way (i.e. windshields, trim, etc.) they take it off.

"When I step on the gas, I want people to think the world is coming to an end!" - Homer Simpson
2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster

Last edited by BlenderWizard; 10-15-2005 at 09:50 PM.
BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
Re: Re: How much you think it would cost to repaint my truck ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlenderWizard
the shop across the street from me would prolly charge ~$5,000, but their paint jobs are-factory quality. They don't tape anything off... if it doesn't get painted and it's in the way (i.e. windshields, trim, etc.) they take it off.
I agree. You're not going to get a quality paintjob for less than $5K unless you know someone.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: How much you think it would cost to repaint my truck ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasF355F1
I agree. You're not going to get a quality paintjob for less than $5K unless you know someone.
Well, I sorta pulled $5k out of my ass... I based that on the fact that they quoted me $4K for the honda i used to have

"When I step on the gas, I want people to think the world is coming to an end!" - Homer Simpson
2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster
Old 10-16-2005, 10:01 PM   #6
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Re: How much you think it would cost to repaint my truck ?

Quote:
Well, I sorta pulled $5k out of my ass... I based that on the fact that they quoted me $4K for the honda i used to have
I figured, and so did I. But I honestly think to do an entire truck properly with a quality finish is going to cost big bucks. This includes removing doors and bed.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
Moose is loose
AF Regular

Earl Schieb....$149.99

Just kidding! The majority of the cost is the prep. MAKE SURE IT IS PREPPED RIGHT! The best paint job in the world means nothing when it flakes, peels, rusts through, etc. Replace any panels, don't repair. Also use a good paint. Top of the line Dupont, Sikkens, House of Kolor, are all excellent choices. Pay the extra $$, if it's done right, it will last 20-30 years easy.
Moose is loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Rollingbones
AF Regular

Would you believe that in 1965, Earl Scheib would "paint any car any color for only $29.95". I had a friend in high school in '72 get an E.S. paint job (I think it was $69.95 by that time)... and it couldn't have looked worse than if it was done with Krylon out of a can. Just do some shoppng around and check with the Better Business Bereau if there's any complaints against anyone you might want to select. You might try some auto body repair shops as well. I do know if you go with a two tone, it'll cost a bucket load more!!! Good luck!!!

2002 Superado, LT (Carmine Red), 5.3 L
3.73 RR, Flowmaster, K&N FIPK Cold Air Intake,
160 T-stat, Hypertech Tune, Towing Pkg.
----------------------------------------
More pics here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2091584
----------------------------------------
HAVE A NICE DAY...
...Unless you have other plans!!!
-------------------------------
Rollingbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:20 AM   #9
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Go to Maaco or some other cheapie place and they never quite match the color, either. The place across the street from me uses sikkens

Old 10-17-2005, 09:05 AM   #10
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Go to Maaco or some other cheapie place and they never quite match the color, either. The place across the street from me uses sikkens
Not only that, but they also have terrible terrible runs in their paint jobs.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingbones
Would you believe that in 1965, Earl Scheib would "paint any car any color for only $29.95". I had a friend in high school in '72 get an E.S. paint job (I think it was $69.95 by that time)... and it couldn't have looked worse than if it was done with Krylon out of a can. Just do some shoppng around and check with the Better Business Bereau if there's any complaints against anyone you might want to select. You might try some auto body repair shops as well. I do know if you go with a two tone, it'll cost a bucket load more!!! Good luck!!!
I have actualy thought about having the two tone on mine buffed out. The metallic silver birch is on top of my red. But, I'm not gonna do it; it would probably never look right

Old 10-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #12
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose is loose
Earl Schieb....$149.99

Just kidding! The majority of the cost is the prep. MAKE SURE IT IS PREPPED RIGHT! The best paint job in the world means nothing when it flakes, peels, rusts through, etc. Replace any panels, don't repair. Also use a good paint. Top of the line Dupont, Sikkens, House of Kolor, are all excellent choices. Pay the extra $$, if it's done right, it will last 20-30 years easy.
Hehe, in the German language, Scheiß, means "shit." The "ß" is actually pronounced and can be written as "ss," but it sure looks like a "B." I guess the German meaning is applicable here.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:49 PM   #13
Moose is loose
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: How much you think it would cost to repaint my truck ?

Quote:
Hehe, in the German language, Scheiß, means "shit." The "ß" is actually pronounced and can be written as "ss," but it sure looks like a "B." I guess the German meaning is applicable here.
You are correct! I lived in Germany from 2000-2004 and good old "Earl" is the butt of many jokes. I believe he passed many years ago, but that rep will live forever!

BTW, Sikkens is the shiznit! Best paint I have ever used.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:33 PM   #14
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: How much you think it would cost to repaint my truck ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose is loose
You are correct! I lived in Germany from 2000-2004 and good old "Earl" is the butt of many jokes. I believe he passed many years ago, but that rep will live forever!

BTW, Sikkens is the shiznit! Best paint I have ever used.
I took 5 years of German language in High School and College... never got to go to Germany, though. Sikkens seems pretty good... they did some body repairs to my wife's car when some asshat (can u tell I like that?) was pulling into the parking space next to where she was parked and hit her. We were acutally standing on the sidewalk of the building and watched the whole thing happen. Anyway, the body shop across from me used to use Sherwin Williams auto paint, but switched to sikkens about ~3 years ago.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:40 PM   #15
Moose is loose
AF Regular

It's what is "stock" on practically every European car made. The stuff shines forever.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado