Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
squashman
AF Newbie

GM will replace Catalytic converter

I just got a notice for the 2001-2002 Impalas(3.4L and 3.8L) and some other GM models of those years, that GM will replace and repair any that malfunction and impede the flow of air through the converter.
They have also extended the warranty to 10 years or 190,000 kilometers(114,000 miles).
Symptoms of a blocked catalytic converter are lack of power or illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp(MIL)
squashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: GM will replace Catalytic converter

Here is some information to clarify to include coverage limits courtesy of GMMerlin and posted in other forums:

This is a special policy that raises warranty coverages on the converter in case you experience a failure.

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; or Buick Regal model vehicle, equipped with a 3.4L or 3.8L V6 engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; and Buick Regal model vehicles, equipped with a 3.4L or 3.8L V6 engine, may have a condition where the catalytic converter is replaced due to complaints of lack of power or illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This may be due to the front endcone insulation from the catalytic converter breaking away and blocking the front of the first catalyst brick and preventing the free flow of exhaust gas through the converter.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done
General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the Catalytic Converter. If this condition occurs on your 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; or Buick Regal model vehicle, equipped with a 3.4L or 3.8L V6 engine, within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (190,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge .

What You Should Do
Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Thrasher CAI, DHP v1.0 PCM, SLP Headers,
3.25 SC pulley, CAIT GMAF, 2.5 DP/Hi-Flow CAT,
u-bend delete, 160 TS, ZZP Stage 1 72mm TB,
TB spacer, MSD 8.5mm wires, Autolite 103,
Goodyear Gatorback Serp. & SC Belt,
Nitto NT555R Drag Radials

1/4 ET: 13.210 sec. @ 104.490 mph
0 - 60 ft: 1.945 sec.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Bnaylor3400 posted the information, I just want to add that this is a special policy adjustment, GM has extended warranty coverages for your converter..IN CASE of failure..so with that,
This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

Smile Re: GM will replace Catalytic converter

Hey, GMMerlin welcome as moderator, looking forward to some informative exchanges, Shep
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #5
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: Re: GM will replace Catalytic converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge
Hey, GMMerlin welcome as moderator, looking forward to some informative exchanges, Shep
Thanks dude..only been a Mod here for about 1.5-2 years...
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
KingCobra89
AF Newbie

does anybody know if this can include the buick century?
KingCobra89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra89 View Post
does anybody know if this can include the buick century?
first your in a chevrolet forum, 2nd this is a 7 yr old post, 3rd start your own post and give all vehicle details. yr/engine/model/miles etc....

then you most likely will get a quick answer to any questions.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
KingCobra89
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
first your in a chevrolet forum, 2nd this is a 7 yr old post, 3rd start your own post and give all vehicle details. yr/engine/model/miles etc....

then you most likely will get a quick answer to any questions.
First off your just an idiot, secondly once you post on it it will go to the top again, 3rd their arent many details to give im just wondering if it covers the 2000 buick century. if you dont got any useful information why respond????
Old 02-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
First off your just an idiot, secondly once you post on it it will go to the top again, 3rd their arent many details to give im just wondering if it covers the 2000 buick century. if you dont got any useful information why respond????
who is the idiot now !

you got a 2000 GM vehicle 12 yrs old and do you think that they will do a free cat converter replacement ?????????????

what are you smoking down there !~
Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
KingCobra89
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
who is the idiot now !

you got a 2000 GM vehicle 12 yrs old and do you think that they will do a free cat converter replacement ?????????????

what are you smoking down there !~

the car only has 60,000 miles on it and i just got off the phone with gm. turns out they are going to replace it. now whos the idiot???????????? and the schtuff were smoking is a hell of a lot better then the twigs you got up their. [additionally non-contributory remarks deleted by moderator]

Last edited by shorod; 02-16-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Removed profanity and pot shot
Old 02-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
shorod
SHO No Mo

Okay you two, let's calm down. Please both of you review the Forum Guidelines that you agreed to follow when registering on this forum. If you're not sure where they're at, you can find them here.

KingCobra, welcome to the forum! Hopefully you're able to look beyond the initial "welcome" you received.

j Cat, you've been around long enough you should know better.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
the car only has 60,000 miles on it and i just got off the phone with gm. turns out they are going to replace it. now whos the idiot???????????? and the schtuff were smoking is a hell of a lot better then the twigs you got up their. [additionally non-contributory remarks deleted by moderator]
well I hope you recorded your converation and got the name and employee number. this would all have to be approved at the dealership.

many have tried and failed to get a replacement after 10 years.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I agree with Jcat....have never seen them replace a cat after 10 years.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS