Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Land Cruiser/LX470
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 09:07 AM   #1
timroperco
AF Newbie

Advice on buying a '94 Land Cruiser, please.

Hi. I'm looking to buy a used SUV and I have located a '94 LC for sale at $7,000, which I plan to check out tomorrow. Owner says car's short block was replaced 10,000 miles ago but otherwise car is in excellent condition and has 130,000 miles. I plan to use it as a second card, only for local/winter driving, about 5,000 miles per year.

I've never owned an LC (or driven one!) and I'd appreciate any suggestions for things to look for, or alerts regarding recurring problems and maintenance.

Thanks,

Tim
timroperco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
Craigmax
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Craigmax
Re: Advice on buying a '94 Land Cruiser, please.

thats the average that i have seen for that year and mileage. .if the engine was rebuilt well it should last you quite a while. check out cruizers.com for thorough research on the 80. I am looking to buy one myself fairly soon. good luck should you buy it.
Craigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Bob_G
AF Newbie

I would suggest trying to get some additional info as to why a new "short block" was needed. 130k on one of those motors is nothing. I know many that have over 200k (my 95 has 155k) with no rebuilds. Most common failure is the head gasket, however replacement does not typically require a new block.

An engine rebuild at 130k could suggest a general lack of routine maintenance, which will show up eventually in other areas (some expensive) as well.
Bob_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
slimhall
AF Newbie

I am looking at buying the same model and year with 177,000 miles on it. Any other trouble areas to look at? What would be a good price on this one. It looks to be in very nice shape.
slimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
Bob_G
AF Newbie

In addition to the usual checks, I would look at the following:

1. Front knuckles - These are located at the outer ends of the front axle on the inside of the wheel. Caked on dirt and grease is a sign that the axle seals have failed. Fairly common at that mileage if they have not been replaced. Cost of repair = $900-1200 at a dealer or shop, $200-300 if you do it yourself.

2. Front drive train wear - Since these are full-time 4WD, the front drive train operates continously. Drive the vehicle in a circle at low speed with the windows down and listen for any clicking noises. Repair for this is expensive. $600 per side for parts!

3. Tires - All should be the same size and brand with near equal tread. Mismatched tires will cause excessive wear to the drivetrain due to the full-time 4WD.

4. Cooling System - Check for deposits in the coolant recovery tank. This could indicate deposits in the radiator. Look for coolant leakage where the plastic top of the radiator is attached to the radiator itself. Repair typically requires replacement of the radiator.

5. Differential Locks (if eqiuipped) - Some of the 93-97 Land Cruisers had electrically actuated front/rear differential locks. If the vehicle has them, there will be a rotary switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. The switch is replaced with a blank panel if the vehicle does not have them. If it does have them, let me know and I can tell you how to test them.

As far as price is concerned, a clean, well mantained 94 should be worth around 7k.

Good Luck!

Bob
Bob_G is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Land Cruiser/LX470