Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:06 PM   #1
pernicev
AF Newbie

Bizzaro Leak

I have an unexplained leak for the past few weeks on my 2002 venture. There seems to be a small puddle of fluid leaking down the pass. side of the radiator. It's bright green and oily, but here's the kicker: I have had orange coolant in it since new! I have never had anything serviced on this vehicle by anyone other than myself and I'm the original owner, so it's not tracer.
Now my brake fluid reservoir was substantially low, but how could that turn green? Maybe some kind of reaction with the blue paint? And how could it end up on the radiator if the brake circuit goes behind the engine? I'm at a loss.
pernicev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bizzaro Leak

How's your AC working? The green could be a tracer dye in the AC. The compressor is right behind the radiator so a problem there could easily spray stuff towards the radiator.
cdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Re: Condenser Leak

Take a look at what happened to my 2001 Venture and see if it is the same as yours:

2001 Chevy Venture Condenser Leak

Note: The TSB mentioned on that page applies to 2001-2002 vehicles that used this condenser.

Take Care,

Last edited by GregA; 09-23-2005 at 05:47 PM.
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
RNRea
AF Regular

About the brake fluid being low, this is normal on vehicles with disk brakes. As the pads wear the caliper pistons move closer to the rotors, requiring more fluid to keep them there. For this reason it is important to regularly check the brake fluid level and replenish as required. If you replace the pads yourself, you need to force the caliper pistons back in, which will force the brake fluid back into the resevoir, and it is likely to overflow, so have a small container that you can place under the resevoir to catch it (or carefully remove some fluid from the resevoir) before pulling the wheels and changing the pads.
RNRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:14 AM   #5
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Don't bother pushing it back into the resevoir. Just open the bleeder valve and allow it to come out there. The fluid should be replaced when you do your pads anyways. While the fluid is more or less in a closed system, it still can pick up dirt, overheat, etc. It is also hydroscopic, meaning it will absorb moisture from the air. All these things can lead to problems with breaking. A quart of synthetic break fluid will run you less then $5.
cdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:37 AM   #6
pernicev
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Condenser Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregA
Take a look at what happened to my 2001 Venture and see if it is the same as yours:
That's the same leak Greg. I'm glad you posted this, I thought I was losing my mind. I guess I'll need to repair that condenser.
Vince
pernicev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Condenser Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernicev
That's the same leak Greg. I'm glad you posted this, I thought I was losing my mind. I guess I'll need to repair that condenser.
Vince
No problem. That's why its there.

Take Care,
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:25 PM   #8
RNRea
AF Regular

Re: Re: Bizzaro Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru
Don't bother pushing it back into the resevoir. Just open the bleeder valve and allow it to come out there. The fluid should be replaced when you do your pads anyways. While the fluid is more or less in a closed system, it still can pick up dirt, overheat, etc. It is also hydroscopic, meaning it will absorb moisture from the air. All these things can lead to problems with breaking. A quart of synthetic break fluid will run you less then $5.
Never thought about doing that. Is the synthetic brake fluid (I think it is silicone-based) hygroscopic? I know the old alcohol-based ones are.
RNRea is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture