Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
vitaminc
AF Newbie

Smile Walmart's Liberator Tire

Does anybody have any info on Walmarts Liberator tire? Is it a good tire?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: Walmart's Liberator Tire

no, it isn't very good, most no-name very cheap tires aren't any good. I guess it would work if you don't care how well your car handles or performs and you rarely have to drive in rain or snow.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
Old 07-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
vitaminc
AF Newbie

Thanks Dr.
I had a feeling that it was not a good tire. When I asked the tire salesman at walmart the question of "Who makes the Liberator tire", he replied that Michlein does and it was a great tire. I later found out that it was not true. Thanks again for the info.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #4
Jen805
AF Newbie

actually there very good tires..my husband has them on his blazer..and we have used them 4x4ing ect..they grip real nice
Old 08-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #5
littleyellow
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Walmart's Liberator Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
no, it isn't very good, most no-name very cheap tires aren't any good. I guess it would work if you don't care how well your car handles or performs and you rarely have to drive in rain or snow.
Actually I don't know what you are a Dr. of but you are wrong. Almost all no name tires are made by the same major manufacturers of name brand tires. Michelin does indeed make Liberator because actually BF Goodrich makes Liberators and Michelin owns BF Goodrich.

These tires are just as good and meet all specs. They handle fine and ride fine. Now since we are talking about a truck tire I will assume you aren't too worried about handling anyway but rather traction. These tires have a pretty aggressive tread for an AT tire. Also you can wear out 2 sets of these for the same price as 1 set of the "name" brand tires. Michelin makes good tires, both name and no name!

As for driving it in the snow, I would bet money this tire gets better traction than most of the other "AT" tires out there.

Go eat an apple and keep the doctor away.........especially this one!

You can believe a well thought out post or believe one guys simpleton opinion.........the choice is yours!
Old 08-13-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

I never said it wasn't made by a major manufacturer

from my experience the tires that they don't want to put their own name on tend to wear poorly and be hard to balance and generally don't have good temperature ratings. If the design was so good they'd use it as their own tire. Also, michelin's own tires aren't even that good.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
Old 08-13-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
littleyellow
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
I never said it wasn't made by a major manufacturer

from my experience the tires that they don't want to put their own name on tend to wear poorly and be hard to balance and generally don't have good temperature ratings. If the design was so good they'd use it as their own tire. Also, michelin's own tires aren't even that good.
Well, the reason they don't have their name on it is very, very simple........they are paid to make them for Wal-Mart. It is just like JC Penny having Canyon River Blues as a brand. They don't have a factory and they want to have a brand name for themselves so they just have a major manufacturer make them for them. It is cheaper than building a factory.

Now on to the other stuff. No one uses tires to their limit on the street unless they're an idiot. A tire is more capable than most drivers will ever know. I know from street racing and from motorcycle riding sportbikes on the Blue Ridge Parkway. And as far as wearing evenly........the worst I ever had were Goodyears.

Now all that being said, I checked out your car and I give you props for the domestic ride! Now get rid of those Kumho's.

As far as Michelin not making good tires.........you're wrong. Just wrong. They probably have the most stringent quality control in the tire industry. Their seconds are better than Goodyears.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

I never said Goodyears were any good either. Michelin has very good quality control, but their engineers don't know anything about building tires, they know about building michelins and only know certain portions of tire construction, this is so they don't leave and go somewhere else, but it results in tires that don't work as a unit particularly well and are full of compromises, especially when you consider how ridiculously expensive they are. I know current and past engineers for michelin, so I have first-hand information on this. I agree, goodyears wear very poorly and fast, especially considering their cost and the mediocre grip that they provide.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
Old 08-13-2005, 07:01 PM   #9
littleyellow
AF Newbie

Look here is the deal. This person asked about Liberator tires. They aren't slalom racing or drag racing or street racing for that matter. They are probably looking for a nice tire for their 4 x 4 and the Liberator's will be more than adequate for that. Most people who buy off road tires do more for looks than anything. The fact that this person considered Liberators tells me they were looking for a value priced replacement and not to make a statement.

Sure you can crack an egg with a hammer, but that is overkill. Why do it?
Old 08-13-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
Jen805
AF Newbie

liberator tires are very good..we have them on our 4x4 blazer..and they do good for offroading
Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #11
yankeeflyer72
AF Newbie

I have a set with 112,000 miles on them and they still have 3/32 tread depth on them. Used for highway and off road. I live in Western Washington and deal with rain and snow every year. Have never had a problem with them. They are due for replacement and I will probably buy another set.

And yes I said 112,000 miles. Have been amazed by the tire life.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:18 AM   #12
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Just to clear up a point:

Goodrich may be owned by Michelin, but Goodrich tires are not made in the same way as Michelin tires.

And while Michelin is known for its quality (meaning consistency and tight tolerances, not design quality), the same can not be said for Goodrich and Uniroyal. These 2 brands are made and marketed very similar to the majority of tire brands.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #13
two trackers
AF Newbie

I put a set of Liberators on my '94 Geo Tracker mini SUV and am very satisfied with there performance. I live in Pennsylvania where icy roads are as common as snow in winter. My Tracker is my work vehicle and is frequently on construction sites so it's a kind of "off roading".
No complaints on my Wally-World specials, the seem to be holding up fine.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #14
bigredneck47240
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bigredneck47240 Send a message via MSN to bigredneck47240 Send a message via Yahoo to bigredneck47240

i have had liberator's on every truck i have ever owned they are made by uniroyal. i am currently fixin to buy 4 more for my new truck i just bought. ive had them on 2 and 4 wheel vehicles and never been stuck in either one
Old 05-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #15
Ridemywideglide
AF Newbie

I had them on my last Ram 1500 4x4.. Love'd them.. Sold it, tires had 52K on them plenty of tread left.. Now I purchased a Ram 2500 and couldn't find the Liberators anymore at Wal-mart.. Store clerk said I had to go online to order them, she showed them in her book but the store couldn't order them.. Sounded a bit stupid to me.. On line I was unable to find them in the tire section. I ended up getting BFG AT/TA KO's at $1100 for the set.. These tires SUCK ASS.. I will never buy BFG again.. Snow handling is slightly better than a frying pan.. They don't clean themselves of mud or snow at all..

Can one of you guys tell me where I can get some more Liberators?? 1/2 the price and more than twice the tire the BFG is in my opinion.

Thanks
Brad

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels