Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9-3
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
GeeBee
AF Newbie

GM Employee Discount

Thinking of buying a new 9-3 because of the GM Employee Discount incentive. Does anyone have any specifics about the discount?

If the dealership applies the discount on the invoice price, it's not that good of a deal. If they apply it after haggling, it's better. And I'd doubt they'd apply it after asking dealership cost, would they?

Does anyone have more info or advice?

Thanks in advance.
GeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
mbunakeith
AF Regular

Re: GM Employee Discount

best advice is to haggle and act like there is no discount. you will probably get a better deal anyway. i would plan on going to as many dealerships as necessary to do this. go to one dealership, pick a car and see what they give you for employee price. go to another dealer, pick out the same car and haggle for it. i bet the employee price will be way higher than what you could haggle it for. i have seen employees get way worse deals than a walk-in customer ever got. wait until the end of the month also. sales managers are usually more inclined to "give" a car away to make quotas. i used to sell cars and i have been in the auto industry for 13 years. i have never seen any kind of factory promotion worth it, except for financing. you have to be carefull with that too becuase they wont finance you cheap if you get a discount on the car sometimes.
mbunakeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
GeeBee
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

First hand experience - here's what I learned (or think I learned):

Dealer showed me dealer invoice. It showed the dealer price and an amount less employee discount. So, supposedly, the customer pays the employee discount amount, as advertised. On top of that, this dealership had a rebate for employees, so I was entitled to it as well. The MSRP 9-3 Linear of ~ $28,500 became $23,500 after applying discount and rebate.

From my readings, the employee discount program has been a huge success. Sales have gone up ~ 30%. It is possible that GM may extend the deadline. If so, Chrysler may introduce their own rebate or discount. I believe Ford had some kind of new rebate program as well.
GeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
mbunakeith
AF Regular

Re: GM Employee Discount

that sounds pretty good. although i am concerned that you couldnt have got that car at that price anyways. i used to sell and have seen worse and better deals. still though, the less you can haggle and get that kind of discount is great. so, did you get it? iam assuming so!
mbunakeith is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9-3