Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
JekylandHyde
AF - Advisor

Thumbs up ATS Sponsored Hyde takes first Drag Event victory!

I entered the Import Survival Series race today at Englishtown's Raceway Park. Hyde was entered in the turbo 4 cylinder class for FWD & RWD cars with one power adder. There were 12 entrants and they only took an 8 car field. I qualified 7th with a 12.2 (missed 2nd).

Let me first give a huge thanks to Jeff Condon (crimsonmkii and Justin a.k.a. humpthefridge). I picked up Hyde yesterday from the head gasket replacement and he was no longer overheating but he was sputting awful under boost. It turned out to be a bad 200K+ mile coil and ignitor. crimsonMKII drove all across New Jersey to Justin's house to pick up the coil LATE last night. Justin supplied the donor coil/ignitor then crimson drove al lthe way down to Englishtown to get the parts to me. This completely resolved my problems! ... This community rocks ... I can't believe how much everyone has been getting behind Hyde and supporting the effort. I truly would have been lost without these nice MR2ers!

I would also like to thank JD Singh for putting Cindy and I up for the night.
You rock JD! (the offical JHRacing photographer!).

Back to the racing: I managed two 1.6's in the 60' today, a 1.71 and a higher 1.7 without a burnout. One of my 1.6s was at only 13 psi of boost (forgot to turn on the boost controller).

Over all the day was kind of a mess for me. I was at the MR2 Hooter's meet rather late and got up rather early which plagued me with mistakes throughout the day. First I forgot to turn on the boost controller so I only ran 13 psi of boost which netted a 12.5 @ 110 with a 1.6 in the 60'.

Then I forgot to actually turn on the line lock on a run which resulted in Hyde just lunging forward and flubbing the burn out.

It was stinking hot and everyone was running rather poorly.

First round I was racing a 9 sec civic that was having issues and was hitting low 11s. We launched, I hit a 1.7 to his 1.9 and he broke bad ... I went onto a 12.2 (missed 2nd again). So I was in the semi-finals.

Semi-finals I was up against another low 11/high 10 second Civic.
His R/T was .363 to my .496 ... but I hit a 1.68 in the 60' to his 1.785.
He missed 2nd gear and I was gone. I actually considered getting out of the the throttle because I was so far ahead and I wanted to not push Hyde ... LUCKILY, I didn't because he came flying up on me hard! ... he chased me down, but not fast enough. He flew by me at 126 mph+ to my 116+, but I was already across the finish.

So I made it into the finals and I was up against Steve Lockett in his 9/10 second Neon .... he was having problems all day and was stuck in the 11s.
In the semi-finals he belted out a 10.9, but apparently he did enoguh damage that he could not make the start for the finals.

.... so I got an easy win. I just had to stage the lights and not red light.
I casually drove to an 18.00 @ 70 mph.

I won $300 and 2 trophies.
I would really like to thank the people who came out to support and help me (in the photo): redblues (Jim Ong), JD Singh (JD Singh), Jek's Girl (Cindy Foley), that's me holding the cash and crimsonmkii (Jeff condon).

I really want to thank ATS Racing for their continued support and NoShoes for all the help he has been. Of course, I appreciate all of the support I get from all of my sponsors (see siggy) and the entire MR2 community.

Hyde is truly a community car.
I would be nothing without the MR2 communities support.

Thank You

Next weekend I am hitting the Weatherly Hill Climb ... I am hoping to take 1st place there as well. That would make my summer ~ back-to-back 1st in a drag race and a hill climb. We'll see
Old 06-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #2
ac427cpe
two wheels

Send a message via AIM to ac427cpe
Re: ATS Sponsored Hyde takes first Drag Event victory!

AWESOME! congrats, shows just how much of racing is dependant on everyone else.

No more project cars. I wonder how long that will last...
ac427cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:58 AM   #3
JekylandHyde
AF - Advisor

You got that right. Sometimes it pays to be lucky over being fast, but that fact of the matter is as poorly as I and everyone else performed, I still performed where it mattered

After seeing how brutal yesterday was on the cars, I can see why they called the event "survival" of the imports. It's kind of ironic that the survivor was the only 200,000+ mile car

Some photos:
http://www.thespeedlounge.com/forums...read.php?t=727
Old 06-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Good job. Great that you get the support you do. Good luck on the hill climb.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

AWESOME! nice stuff Jeff, and congrats, if MR2's could swim i'd drive to see the next one!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
JekylandHyde
AF - Advisor

Thanks guys, here's a bunch of photos:

JD's photos (if it asks fora password, it is "password"). I am extremely pleased with how much the front wheels are getting yanked up in these photos:
http://www.jdsingh.com/GoodTimesPage...rtSurvival.htm

Jeff Condon's photos:
http://www.crimsonmkii.net/events/etown060505.htm
Old 06-06-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
mr2envy
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mr2envy

thats awsome keep up the good work and keep us posted!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD