Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Famof4
AF Newbie

2001 Ford expedition surging

I am new to this site but am hoping some one here can help. I am at my wits end. My car has been in the shop for 2 days now because of an intermitent surging problem that they do not seem to be able to find a resolution to. I will be stopped at a light or stop sign with my foot on the brake and it will simply with out warning rev up to 2.5 or 3 RPM's. So far I have had my foot on the brake every time it has happened but I am afraid it is going to send me into traffic. Has any one else had this problem? It did not happen for almost a year between surges and now 3 times in less than a week. Thanks for any help!
Famof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
davrox
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Ford expedition surging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famof4
I am new to this site but am hoping some one here can help. I am at my wits end. My car has been in the shop for 2 days now because of an intermitent surging problem that they do not seem to be able to find a resolution to. I will be stopped at a light or stop sign with my foot on the brake and it will simply with out warning rev up to 2.5 or 3 RPM's. So far I have had my foot on the brake every time it has happened but I am afraid it is going to send me into traffic. Has any one else had this problem? It did not happen for almost a year between surges and now 3 times in less than a week. Thanks for any help!

Hey my wifes truck is doing that too, the dealer has no ideas- have you any info or updates????
davrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
Famof4
AF Newbie

I spoke with some one this weekend that said it was probably the throttle body getting stuck and that it needed to be lubed. I am going to try this and see if it works. The person I spoke with said it happened to his Toyota (the surging when foot on brake) and that lubing his Toyota fixed the problem. I hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
charlie1148
AF Newbie

2001 Ford expedition surging

I am having problems like that also.. Although , I can't say that mine is at " 2.5 " .. I was thinking I had a plug problem , I just had the throtle body thouroughly cleaned , ERG valve cleaned , and sensor removed.. The day I brought it back from the shop , I had surging problems as you described.. I am @ a loss , this is the absolute " worst " vehicle I have ever driven.. I actually drive a 1993 Explorer , and the only problem I ever ever ever had , was my AC went out.. Ford , your just getting worse !!
charlie1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Famof4
AF Newbie

Since I had it in the shop and they cleaned the throttle body, it has not surged sinse. I don't know if it is a coinicidence or if the throttle body really was the problem for ours but so far so good.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
charlie1148
AF Newbie

I just had my throttle body cleaned , now it runs worse.. Now I am really confused , did they do a bad job on the throttle body , or is it a bad plug ?
charlie1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
inspector101
AF Newbie

It sounds like the same problem I may have had, Have you tried replacing the air idle motor?, if so it may be the TCC ( torque clutch converter ). The TCC can be replaced without removing the tranny. Hope this helps out
inspector101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
Jodie Kinney
AF Newbie

Unhappy

Good luck i have the same problem practically identical. I have taken it in and have had everything with the throttle replaced, the computer checked name it, it has been done. My SUV is still surging. I am not so worried about me as much as I am having it surge and I run in to someone or a pedestrian. I am constantly putting the car in park at lights etc. I have written to NHTSA and have heard nothing in reply. FORD denies any problems with this type of complaint but here we are. I am selling the vehicle/trading it in the dealer and getting an new vehicle. It is not worth the risk of injury or law suit. My vehicle also went months between surges and then did it repeatedly several times within a couple of weeks. Loose the vehicle. Godd luck
Jodie Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition