Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 04:21 AM   #1
caroquintero_156
AF Newbie

how do u change the tire pressure sensors to new rims?

Can anyone give me some advice on how to change the tire pressure sensors from my factory rims to my new rims. I just put 22's on my '04 Denali and now I get a "service tire monitor" reading on my display. I asked the dealer and he told me not to worry about it and that it wouldn't hurt anything. I've been driving it like that for about a month but tonight I'm now getting a "low tire pressure" reading and an annoying yellow warning light on my dashboard. Based on some of the other threads I've read I need to put the sensors from my factory rims into the new rims. Is there a certain process or way to do this. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
JackBauer
AF Newbie

Re: how do u change the tire pressure sensors to new rims?

Your onboard chip needs to be reprogrammed due to the increase size in rims. It sounds like they don't know what they're talking about.
JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Sounds like the TPM receiver might be faulty; I don't have the TPS on my 22's and like you, I get the "Service Tire Monitor" message but have yet to see the "Low Tire Pressure" message nor the yellow warning light. I mean, how can the TPM report low tire pressure if it can't even get a reading from the TPS? Of course, I reckon if you install the TPS units on your new rims, all those warning messages and lights should go away (except the low pressure message, if indeed a tire is low on air) but still...why the TPM report on something (low pressure) that it can't even measure w/o the TPS is beyond me.

The dealer is correct in saying that running w/o the TPS won't really hurt anything (by that I assume he was referring to regular operation of the vehicle otherwise; i.e., it's not as if your truck won't run w/o the TPS installed). The only thing to look out for when relocating the TPS units to your new rims is to see if they will actually fit properly; some rim surfaces/designs are such that the TPS unit may not fit correctly.
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
twomorestrokes
AF Regular

Huh? The vehicle senses a low tire through the ABS system. Low tires spin that particular wheel speed sensor faster, tripping the system. Are the front and rear wheel/tire combos exactly the same size? Also, if they are different diameter than the stock setup, the dealer can reprogram through the ALDL so the abs and shift points are correct I believe.

For some reason, the "low tire pressure" frequently comes on after the tires are even simply rotated, requiring the light to be reset.
twomorestrokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
caroquintero_156
AF Newbie

thanks for the advice. i talked to one of the guys from a GM garage and he told me i should be able to simply put the pressure sensors from my factory rims into the new rims if the "angle" was correct. does anyone know what "angle" is the correct one and if installing them will work. i am running Helo Skids (22 X 9.5) with 305/40/22. any input will help. thanks.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:03 PM   #6
Eggert
AF Regular

Hi,
with every tire rotation you have to re-program the tire pressure monitor receivers to each sender in the rims.
It needs to know, which sending unit is on which wheel position.
I don't have the procedure, the dealer and good tire services places do.
The low pressure light will come on if you lose x amount of pressure in x amount of time, don't remember the exact data.

Tonytone, the TPM computer is complaining because the receivers in the wheel wells do not get any TPM sensor signals from the rims.
I think that this feature can be programmed to be disabled.
Take care, Eggert :bananssmi
Eggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
twomorestrokes
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroquintero_156
thanks for the advice. i talked to one of the guys from a GM garage and he told me i should be able to simply put the pressure sensors from my factory rims into the new rims if the "angle" was correct. does anyone know what "angle" is the correct one and if installing them will work. i am running Helo Skids (22 X 9.5) with 305/40/22. any input will help. thanks.
Am I missing something on this thread?

There are NO pressure sensors in the rims. Wheels are wheels. The sensors are on the vehicle's hubs, and do not move to different positions when moving/ changing the wheels. They are the ABS sensors, and over the years, the manufacturer has modified the system to control not only the ABS but other things like traction control and low tire monitoring. It is simple to reset, but different vehicle to vehicle. Many cars have a button in the fusebox, but later trucks usually require depressing the gas pedal a certain number of times with key on/ engine off, similar to resetting oil life monitor. Your owner's manual should tell you how to do this.

You can run any type/ size wheel tire combo as long at the total diameter of all 4 is exactly the same. Try resetting the monitor and see what happens.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: how do u change the tire pressure sensors to new rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggert
Hi,
with every tire rotation you have to re-program the tire pressure monitor receivers to each sender in the rims.
It needs to know, which sending unit is on which wheel position.
I don't have the procedure, the dealer and good tire services places do.
The low pressure light will come on if you lose x amount of pressure in x amount of time, don't remember the exact data.

Tonytone, the TPM computer is complaining because the receivers in the wheel wells do not get any TPM sensor signals from the rims.
I think that this feature can be programmed to be disabled.
Take care, Eggert :bananssmi
Eggert--is your reply (above) in regards to the "Service Tire Monitor" message or the "Low Tire Pressure" message? If regarding the latter--well FWIW I have yet to see that message appear even once on my truck since swapping my factory wheel/tires for 22" ones (and obviously not relocating the TPS units to the new wheels) over a year ago. If the former--thanks for the explanation but I already knew that.

twomorestrokes--okay, assuming you are right about there being no pressure sensor mounted on the rims themselves--I guess it would thus be incorrect to describe the function of the TPS as a "air pressure sensor"; rather, its' function would be more properly described as "transmitter". Regardless, there is a doohickey mounted on the inner/under side of the rim at the valvestem opening; it is this piece of hardware that is being referenced as the TPS. Actually, now that I've reread your replies it seems that you might not be even aware of this wheel-mounted transmitter that's found on '04+ GM full size SUV/trucks.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
twomorestrokes
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: how do u change the tire pressure sensors to new rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytone
twomorestrokes--okay, assuming you are right about there being no pressure sensor mounted on the rims themselves--I guess it would thus be incorrect to describe the function of the TPS as a "air pressure sensor"; rather, its' function would be more properly described as "transmitter". Regardless, there is a doohickey mounted on the inner/under side of the rim at the valvestem opening; it is this piece of hardware that is being referenced as the TPS. Actually, now that I've reread your replies it seems that you might not be even aware of this wheel-mounted transmitter that's found on '04+ GM full size SUV/trucks.
You are correct...I had my head up my butt. I couldn't find the thread after checking out your facts on my lunch hour. I was curious so I went to the GMC dealer to check it out and I saw it with my own eyes when he looked it up on his computer. I looked all over the Silverado/ Tahoe forum and couldn't find where I had given the bad information, so I started a new thread on that forum hoping you'd see it. See below where I copied and pasted from that forum...

/copy/
Ok, where'd that thread go? I'm back to eat crow concerning my responses. You guys sounded like you had the facts so I went to the dealer at lunch and looked into the low tire sensor thing in the wheels. I was wrong on my reply...the low pressure sensing through the ABS was a few years back. I left the dealership in 2001.

I had never heard of such a dumb idea, but i shouldn't have put it past them to dream it up. There ARE sensors inside the wheel at the base of the valve stems that need to be swapped over when changing wheels, just like you said. My buddy said rotating your own tires at home for the normal Joe is a thing of the past, as the system needs to be relearned after the tire position has changed. Who would have thunk it?

Anyway, my sincere apologies for sounding like a know-it-all. I was off base, and should have checked my facts before making such an absolute statement./paste/
Old 05-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

twomorestrokes--no harm, no foul! Actually, you were more or less correct regarding your statement about (certain) TPM systems using the ABS sensor; I did a Google search and found out that there are two basic types of TPM systems--indirect and direct. What you were describing is the indirect system; the one used on many current GM trucks/SUVs uses the direct system. So...you were right in your description, but incorrect in assuming that the system found in our trucks was using the one you described.

BTW--I found the info in the following link:

http://www.sensorsmag.com/articles/0703/29/main.shtml

In any case, I think we can agree that we now know a little more about the different types of TPM systems.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #11
twomorestrokes
AF Regular

Right. Thanks for not busting my chops.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon