Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
bear_1961
AF Newbie

Power Steering Fluid Question, Dexron III or Type/F

Autozone advised me to use Dexron III transmission fluid in my power steering pump, I am now suspecting it should have been type F. Any thoughts?
bear_1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Re: Power Steering Fluid Question, Dexron III or Type/F

Dexron III is smoother operating than the Type F. Type F is is food for friction related componets and Dexron is better sor smooth operation. I think the Dexron will be fine.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
adbradley
AF Newbie

What year is your van? My 99 specifically calls for Dexron V in the power steering. I had to really look for it, but I found a semi-synthetic version at Autozone. I'd check my owner's manual and use what it says before I'd trust an Autozone parts monkey...
adbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
bear_1961
AF Newbie

98 Ford Winstar, 3.8 Liter Engine
bear_1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbradley
What year is your van? My 99 specifically calls for Dexron V in the power steering. I had to really look for it, but I found a semi-synthetic version at Autozone. I'd check my owner's manual and use what it says before I'd trust an Autozone parts monkey...
My 99 calls for Dextron 111 /Mercon for the power I sterring and Mercon V for the transmission. I was not even aware there was a Dextron V. Please re-check your manual.

back to the 98. I am certain it calls for Dextron111/Mercon and this specification fluid is readily available in both Synthetic and conventional types. Check your manual and/or your pump dipstick as it should be clearly indicated.
DRW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
wiswind
AF Moderator

My '96 calls for the "Type F" transmission fluid for the power steering. They call for Mercon in newer windstars....which is one way that there is some confusion. Many fluids will have multiple specifications that they meet. Dextron and Mercon are different specifications.....but most Mercon also meets a Dextron specification. Kinda like metric and english measurements. Best advice is to check the owner's manual, and take note of the specifications that are listed there. They may state something like "Ford Premium Power Steering Fluid....Part #xyz" and also a Ford specification number.....

For your Windstar.....the Ford specification number will cross to either a "Type F" or a Mercon transmission fluid.
My point being.....you cannot just substitue the "FORD" in front of "Power Steering Fluid" with a brand name......as normal "power steering" fluid is not the right stuff.

If your Windstar calls for Mercon.....Mobil 1 ATF is a good choice.....It is synthetic....and available at Autozone....and many other stores.
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:38 PM   #7
patfogle
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to patfogle Send a message via Yahoo to patfogle

Okay, DEXRON in the DELCO (GM) version of MERCON (FORD) transmission fluid. They are close enough in formulation that they can be interchanged. Older Windstars will call for MERCON III, and the new ones aer MERCON V. There is no DEXRON V.......
patfogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:32 AM   #8
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Power Steering Fluid Question, Dexron III or Type/F

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfogle
Okay, DEXRON in the DELCO (GM) version of MERCON (FORD) transmission fluid. They are close enough in formulation that they can be interchanged. Older Windstars will call for MERCON III, and the new ones aer MERCON V. There is no DEXRON V.......
This may be true for the transmissions but the original question was for the Power Steering. Up to and including 2003 the power steering resevoir requires Mercon(Dextron111).

I also do not beleive there is a Mercon111. Mercon and Dextron111 are equivalent specifications (or close enough). So here is a summary for Windstars to try and avoid confision:

Power Steering - Mercon or Dextron111 - for all years
Transmission - up to 98(check owners manual) - Mercon or Dextron111
Transmission - 99 and up MerconV - Unique specification.

Always refer to your owner's manual and/or dipsticks for correct specification of all fluids.
DRW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar