Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
SIYEED
AF Newbie

How do I get my cigarette lighter to work???

I had a cell phone car charger in it and one day when I pulled it out, i saw sparks and that was that. No new car chargers work and the lighter won't light so I know it must be a fuse or something. I looked at the fuse panel and didn't see anything that said lighter. I don't have the owner's manual and I'm trying not to pay some nerd at the dealership an arm and a leg for 5 minutes of simple work that I can do. Somebody PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSE HELP
SIYEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:13 AM   #2
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: How do I get my cigarette lighter to work???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIYEED
I had a cell phone car charger in it and one day when I pulled it out, i saw sparks and that was that. No new car chargers work and the lighter won't light so I know it must be a fuse or something. I looked at the fuse panel and didn't see anything that said lighter. I don't have the owner's manual and I'm trying not to pay some nerd at the dealership an arm and a leg for 5 minutes of simple work that I can do. Somebody PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSE HELP

The fuse for the cig. lighter and accessory power outlet on your Alero should be located in the engine compartment fuse block. Marked minifuse #34. Good luck!

BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
vamc
AF Enthusiast

If its not the fuse like bnaylor3400 said, you can get the lighter from the dealership and install it yourself. If you are going to install yourself, please rember to disconnect the batt, or you will have a VERY bad day! good luck!
vamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 PM   #4
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Re: How do I get my cigarette lighter to work???

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamc
If its not the fuse like bnaylor3400 said, you can get the lighter from the dealership and install it yourself. If you are going to install yourself, please rember to disconnect the batt, or you will have a VERY bad day! good luck!
Hey genius! If you can read, write and understand English, I never told the original poster his fuse was bad. I only told him where it was located as he requested. Any other unfounded wise as% comments?

Old 04-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
vamc
AF Enthusiast

Hey genius! If you can read, write and understand English, I never told the original poster his fuse was bad. I only told him where it was located as he requested. Any other unfounded wise as% comments?
The fuse for the cig. lighter and accessory power outlet on your Alero should be located in the engine compartment fuse block. Marked minifuse #34. Good luck!

I guess your always right!So if its not the fuse, then its nothing at all. that is what this guy is saying to you!! i give my input, and im wrong, so i guess he is always right and does not like other people giving their thoughts! So, mr perfact, you know everything!!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Re: How do I get my cigarette lighter to work???

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamc

I guess your always right!So if its not the fuse, then its nothing at all. that is what this guy is saying to you!! i give my input, and im wrong, so i guess he is always right and does not like other people giving their thoughts! So, mr perfact, you know everything!!!!
Vamc,

I'm not going to second guess the guy. He was looking for the fuse and I gave him the proper directions to it. He can speak for himself.

As to the Alero's wiring and overload protection related to the cig. lighter and the accessory outlet try running a low power air compressor on that circuit for a few minutes and see what it does to the fuse.
If his fuse is popped he's got to replace it first even before putting in a cig. lighter and receptacle as you suggest which is a good suggestion by the way if all else fails.

On all other issues let it rest.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
vamc
AF Enthusiast

First, let me apalagise(sp) to you. You are correct with what you siad. i would to what you said first before i would do. i would do the least expencive thing first, such as what you had said. im sorry.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
SIYEED
AF Newbie

Ok, I'm naive as hell when it comes to cars. Thanks for the help. Oh yeah, if it's not the fuse, then what, LOL
Old 04-23-2005, 01:02 PM   #9
SIYEED
AF Newbie

another thing, I have NO idea about what's what as far as internal things with a car, so can somebody let me know where the engine compartment fuse block is
Old 04-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
vamc
AF Enthusiast

there are 3 fues boxes. 1 inside of driver side door. 2. passenger side door. 3. under hood, right havd side by strut tower. Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #11
SIYEED
AF Newbie

Ok guyz, I figured it out and fixed it. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
dazzymc
AF Newbie

I'm having the same issues with my 2005 VW Golf. Can anyone help. I bought a replacement lighter and socket but cannot remove the original one from the car.
Help,
Darren
dazzymc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero