Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
ValerieE
AF Newbie

Blinking Overdrive Light

Hello,

I have a 1998 Ford Expedition and just last week the overdrive light has begun to start flashing at any given time. Any suggestions on the possible problem?

Valerie
ValerieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Re: Blinking Overdrive Light

You need to have the code read. Yhey should store in the PCM so any scanner capable of reading OBDII codes will pull them. Post back with the code numbers and we can help you.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
pennypicher
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to pennypicher
Wink overdrive light

I'll becurious too as my Aerostar has been doing this for years off and on. Sometimes it wont come on for months.
pennypicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
OxfordDawg
AF Newbie

Same problem here

Only thing about the flashing OD light is that no one can read the codes with a regular OBII scanner. Mine started a couple of months ago and the tranny shop said it was a solenoid, so they replaced the pressure control solenoid. About three weeks later it started up again. Replaced the PWM and PCS (in my garage) and had the old ones checked and they were both within spec. Don't trust my tranny guy and he's the only one besides the Ford dealer in town - where they really don't even want to see you if you didn't buy from them.

Other than the flashing light and the ensuing pressure ramping, it shifts great. Any other thoughts?
OxfordDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

Re: Same problem here

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordDawg
Only thing about the flashing OD light is that no one can read the codes with a regular OBII scanner.
Hmm, I have never had any problems reading transmission codes with any of the three code readers I own.

Quote:
Mine started a couple of months ago and the tranny shop said it was a solenoid, so they replaced the pressure control solenoid. About three weeks later it started up again. Replaced the PWM and PCS (in my garage) and had the old ones checked and they were both within spec. Don't trust my tranny guy and he's the only one besides the Ford dealer in town - where they really don't even want to see you if you didn't buy from them.

Other than the flashing light and the ensuing pressure ramping, it shifts great. Any other thoughts?
A flashing OD light is MOST often caused by high ATF temperatures, ad the second most common cause is excessive TC clutch slippage (which incidentally will casue high ATF temps).
ModMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Allbert
AF Regular

Re: Re: Same problem here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMech
Hmm, I have never had any problems reading transmission codes with any of the three code readers I own.

A flashing OD light is MOST often caused by high ATF temperatures, ad the second most common cause is excessive TC clutch slippage (which incidentally will casue high ATF temps).
I know OxfordDawg and helped him with the solenoid swaps he mentioned... I think we used a CarChip to try to retrieve any trouble codes that might have been stored when the O/D light started flashing, but nothing came up. The blinking has stopped since he posted this, but it was strange because it actually came on after about 2 minutes on our test drive after replacing the hardware, so the fluid was way below normal operating temp. I was thinking there might be an issue with the temperature sensor, but we haven't checked that circuit since the flashing light issue went away on its own.
Allbert is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition